Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

KingBee Assault Helicopter

Hey Everyone, this thread is for the final project in my Advanced Modeling Class. I chose to make an assault helicopter. As you can see from the reference it takes parts from the Apache, Camanche, and Cobra helicopters + various sci fi concept art. The name Kingbee is a nod towards my Dad's helicopter squadron from the Vietnam War.

The assignment states that this vehicle is for cinematic purposes.

Our limitations are:

35,000 Tri. Limit

1-4 2048x2048 Texture Maps (Multi-subobject)

Due in 4 weeks. More High Poly to come.

Duong_Helicopter_Presentation_1.jpg

Here is a rough brainstorm of the idea that I want to pursue. Pulled from different pieces, so the color scheme / surface normals / decals / proportions all will be changed. Was jsut trying to get the initial idea of the aircraft.
Duong_Helicopter_Concept_4.jpg

Reference Sheets:

Helicopter_Reference_Compilation.jpg

Helicopter_Rotor_Compilation.jpg

Replies

• Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice start, really like the design. Im a sucker for a good chopper. WIll be watching
  • Gibbage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgive me, but im a big aerospace buff. There is 1 technical flaw in your design. There is nothing in the concept to counter act the torque of the engine and blades! In your reference, you can see the tail rotors of many aircraft. Thats one way to counter the toque. There are others you may want to consider adding to your design to make it more pheaseable.

First, is the counter rotating main rotor design. Russians like these a lot.

ka50-25.jpg

There is also the "notar" design, or no tail. It uses a nozzle to direct air from a turbine that counter acts the torque.

1520902.jpg

Another possible concept is inter-meshing counter rotating rotors. Thin of them like big egg-beaters.

kaman_kmax_l1.jpg
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys,

Gibbage - Thanks for the reference photos. In my reference I had a pair of incorporated tail rotors. Would that suffice? Adding another set of blades is more geometry that I would have to inveset. The rotor is currently at 6785 tris. I have 35k total, so I'd like to put those towards the rest of the helicopter.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    The incorporated tail rotors are hard to spot in your concept and aren't in the blockout, but I think those are fine where there are.
  • Gibbage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaaa. I didnt pick those up in the concept art. I thought that was a logo!

Here is the tail fan from an EC 120. Eurocopter loves these ducted fan tails.

aa2006_3.jpg

fenestron.jpg

My only concern is you have the mounting point right in the middle of the tail rotor duct. That will make placement difficult.
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks man, I am definitely going to make one of these! they look so ill.
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress Shots of my High Poly

Progress_2.jpg

Progress_1.jpg

Progress_3.jpg

Progress_4.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I think the efficiency of two rotors with a big block between them is a bit questionable. Technically it makes more sense to have just one, unobscured at both sides.
    Your landing ski feels a bit oversized and chunky as well. It is a big improvements over what the first concept showed however
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    doesn't look like you have captured the poise and weighting of the concept. i think it would be good to reposition the parts to achieve the look the thing being about to jump off the heli pad

also the landing gear looks like an interesting proposition in the concept but youve changed it for a more boring setup imo i totally disagree with Xoliul

and finally i would also remodel the tail, again i think the original concept gave the elicopter better balane visually, if not copy it i would make it longer
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll try to reconstruct the landing legs to match the concept better. I had initially tried, but ended up with super bulky mechanical legs that didn't seem feasible, but if you guys think it is more interesting than the cobra / huey legs then I will change it.

I see what you're taling about Xoliul, the rear tail rotor shaft just intersects into a block of metal atm. I was hoping "sci fi magic' would work there, but if you've noticed then most people probably will. I'll try to fix that as well.

The original Concept has a nice organic "bug-like" silhouette to it, but when applied to 3D there were a lot of proportions that didn't add up. There were certain realistic changes that I had to make in order to realistically fit an engine inside this thing. Any more advice is greatly appreciated. I'm finding this project to be pretty difficult atm.
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an attempt at a more sci fi landing mechanism. It's not exactly like the concept, but the folding legs would need a hydraulic system of some sort, and I'm confusing myself trying to figure it out. Nothing seems to be intersecting / overlapping so I might be going with this.

Progress_5.jpg

Progress_6.jpg

Progress_7.jpg

Progress_8.jpg

Progress_9.jpg
  • D.Carmine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man I am digging the chopper. You have some great reference and the concept is pretty neat. The model looks great, but I am not feeling the way the landing gear in the back looks. If you can make it fold up like the concept that in my opinion would be much cooler.

Keep it up! Everything else on this thing looks pretty kick ass.

- D.Carmine
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey D.Carmine, thanks for being honest. I'm getting the same feedback from my friends, so here are the back landing gear as it is in the concept. Please let me know what you think:

Progress_10.jpg

Progress_11.jpg

Progress_12.jpg

Progress_13.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still think the sled was much better. Landing gear on aircraft is a tricky one, it really has yo feel elegant and believable, it's almost like adding legs to a bird or something, they can look off easily. I'm really big on technical believability and feasibility, so my suggestions mostly stem from that:
    Helicopters have to be light and nimble, and both previous "leg" types look really fat, bulky and heavy, totally out of place for a small chopper like this. Even on the concept it just looks wrong.
    The sled worked OK imo, as it is much lighter and less complex than the other types. Scalewise it looked big for this helicopter, I would've made them a bit smaller and more refined.
    Wjat you could also try, is just a straightforward (folding) gear with wheels. It,s small and nimble, so will be believable, and you can play a lot more with angles and proportions (very important for landing gear). How about this: The Apache has really cool angles main gear:

767pxAH64D_Apache_Longbow.jpg

I'd switch those to the back two spots, and then add an extra one to the front (probably=double wheeled). This would be non-folding

Or, you could for a more complex setup like on the Dauphin :

dauphin2-60p01.jpg

This leads to a very elegant look when they're collapsed. Be mindfull: you really have to model these things WITH animation in mind or they'll never be able to collapse realisticly. That's not too easy to do.
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Xoliul, your advice is greatly appreciated. The sci-fi landing mechanism in the concept was never a concrete idea, and I didn't realize how bulky it would look in 3D. I was driving myself crazy trying to make it look futuristic yet elegant. I just had it stuck in my head that "sleds look more sci-fi than wheels" but that is not necessarily so! I was also skeptical on how to arrange wheels as the tail of my chopper never touches the ground.

However after seeing your reference photos, I will definitely take your advice and create some wheels. Your Apache wheels with the Dauphin alignment sounds feasible and will look slick. Will get them on there asap.
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright here is my attempt at a wheel landing mechanism:

Progress_18.jpg

Progress_19.jpg

Progress_20.jpg

Progress_21.jpg

Critique welcomed. I am going to be working on the cockpit tonight. We have about 2 weeks left to get this thing finished and in engine.
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, after considering my options, I decided to go with the sled landing mechanism. Simplistic and low poly - it just doesn't look clunky...

I've moved on to the cockpit and here are my progress shots:

Progress_22.jpg

Progress_23.jpg

Progress_24.jpg

Progress_25.jpg

Progress_26.jpg

The rest of the night will be creating the dashboard and various switches for the cockpit, the glass panels, and turbo smoothing everything. I will have high quality renders by tomorrow afternoon.

As always, critique is welcomed.
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update of my High Poly:

High_Poly_Compilation.jpg

I still need to add cut lines and bolts to the main body. I will also be tweaking the landing gear to have a more dynamic shape. This image caught my attention and will probably be what I'm gonna go with.

3.jpg
  • KSMO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    might be cool with a snow mobil ski???

snow_scooter_snow_motorcycle_snow_mobile_EPA.jpg
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I support the notion to replace the two tail fenestrons with a larger single one.

Also, i highly suggest smoothing out the edges a lot, as even the apache and ka-50 have smoother curves in all the right places than your design.

MORE pictures of shrouded tail rotors/fenestrons:

ec145t2_fenestr.jpg
    boeingsikorsky-rah66-comanche.jpg
    EC135-Fenestron-400x313.jpg
    1044.jpg
    800px-OH-1_JGSDF_20080518_3.jpg
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for your critique re.wind, I see what you are talking about and will smooth out the corners and edges the main body. I'll also create a single tail and post to see what you guys think.

KSMO - I think I'll be able to mash the 2 into something pretty interesting.

Cheers!
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my latest iteration of the chopper.

I created a single fenestron, a new set of landing gears, and rounded out the main body a bit:

Progress_34.jpg

Progress_35.jpg

Progress_36.jpg
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Maybe something like these?

... I moved the rotor a bit forward and added a cable cutter behind the canopy. Also added a tail guard : )
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Quasar - Nice advice on adding the cable cutter and tail guard, will implement them asap :)

continued tweaking the landing gear lolol... this thing will be the death of me.

will update soon.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the mechanism with the pistons on the landing sled, but it's kinda weird to put a pair of sleds OVER them, I'd just stick with a simple sled.
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree Xoliul - Here it is with a single sled mechanism:
    (gonna be dling your shader btw :P)

Progress_37.jpg

Thank you to those who helped me concept this chopper. All of your advice really helped me pull this model together. Now it is crunch time though, 2 weeks left for this project!

Multisub object - 4 Mat IDs.

Will be spending tonight and tomorrow unwrapping, packing, and 2nd UV light Maps.

PS: small things like cable cutters, tail guard, and antennae will be added. Lots to come!
  • D.Carmine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking forward to seeing this beauty all textured up. Good luck with your project!

- D.Carmine
  • Neuropozyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great, looking forward to textures
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my WIP of the Low Poly. I have completed the 2nd pass of normals and am currently texturing. The mesh is 30,806 tris atm, but that will change accordingly. (35k tri restraint)

Progress_46.jpg

Progress_47.jpg

Progress_48.jpg

Progress_49.jpg

Progress_50-1.jpg

There are various problems w/ these renders:

- still figuring out final color scheme. (Mimicking the Cobra color layout)

- The logos are flipped on either side due to overlapping UVs, I will ultimately be turning them into decals in UDK, so there is no incorrect mirroring.

- Various AO and placement changes still need to be made.

- The cockpit is untextured atm.
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is what I turned in for my final. I'm happy with where this is going, but I understand there is still polishing that I have to dedicate time to.

I am graduating in a week, and the next few months will be dedicated to reworking my strongest props and environments.

wMpGZ.jpg
  • Havoc89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
    This is looking very good. Reminds me a lot of the AH-1 Cobra attack helicopter. My only critique would be that the textures feel like they are unfinished. It also feels like it is a bit too procedurally done rather then with a lot of time spent with attention to detail.

I am not really feeling the surface detail and material definition. It seems like an overlay of a base photo texture with cavity maps overlayed on top. I would recommend that you work on the textures a bit more before deeming this complete.
  • wolver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pull back on the rivets, theres so many its making the chopper look noisy, especially around the '240'
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the honest critique. I agree, textures still needs to be worked on.

Paintforge - I'll remove every other rivet on the main body.

Havoc89 - It pretty much only has the overlays on there atm. I'll try to push the materials more and add unique wear and tear to the prop.
  • BakaKoneko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's rad.
    I love helicopters!
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, there's a loss of quality when rendering in UDK, so I decided to download Xoliul's Shader and give it a go.

I am currently figuring out the glass shader and global opacity level.

I will post Images and ask for help if I can't figure this out on my own.

LRTT6.jpg