Home General Discussion

3ds Max 2013 Announced!

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Max can save out files to older formats. Like max 2012 can save as 2012, 2011, or 2010 .max files. If your clients files cant be opened in your copy of max, just ask them to save it out into a version that's compatible with your copy of max.

Yeah it's an easy solution I suppose. Unfortunately there have been times when the office is closed, or a client is out of work for a few days and I can't get access to an older version, or I've sent them a new version and they're still running legacy versions. It's a minor thing in principle with an easy workaround as you say, but it can lead to major frustrations on occasion.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haven't seen a separate thread, so gonna throw it here - maya 2013 release notes
    http://usa.autodesk.com/maya/features/

(whooops, there's a maya thread actually, haven't seen. pls delete)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeeJay wrote: »
    I mean, if I think back to Max 2009, I don't think there's really anything in 10/11/12 that I couldn't live without and the performance back in 09 was in my opinion, the best it's ever been.
    I've gone back to 2009 and its missing a lot of stuff I've come to rely on. The only way 2009 works for me if I install polyboost (which I do own) to get things like swift loop, geo poly, paint connect, set flow, Conform Brush and retopo, all things I really miss.

I also have to install Soulburn Scripts (free) to get paint on features.

I also have to do without knuckles in biped, which means hiding biped hands and using my own custom hand rigs (yuck).

No CAT so I have to go hunting for an outdated, unfixed version of it or use PuppetShop.

Install soundTrax (now prosound) which lets me load more than one sound file into a max scene.

The caddy systems now actually behave like they should and pretty much just look different. If they worked like they do now when they first rolled them out there probably wouldn't have been such a revolt.

The gizmo snap improvements are worth the upgrade for me. Being able to select the center of the gizmo when vert snapping, is gold. No more toggling off the gizmo to snap.

I prefer slate for most materials but still like the option to go back to the compact view.

Composite map was a great addition and improvement over the old version.

I really like viewport canvas even if I wish they would polish it a bit and expand on it.

ProOptimize is better than Optimize, you can crunch objects better with less F-ups, and can preserve UV layouts and materials.

Reactor is gone and the system being developed to replace it is a lot easier to use with much more predictable results.

The inclusion of a lot of UV tools I used every day was good they even improved a few of the ideas. Even if the UV editor still isn't exactly what I want, at least it saves me from having to manage and install a bunch of scripts.
    Rescale Elements, Peel, point to point seams, straighten selection, rotate 90CC/CW, stitch to-from-average, explode by angle-smoothing-material.

The performance has never really been an issue for me when modeling, its always been plenty fast no matter what I have going on. Animation on the other hand manages to kill things, especially if the curve editor is open or I have a few things selected... good god does that need an improvement (hopefully gPoly will do it).

You add that all up and stack it against "yuck I don't like your icky caddy system" and to me it just doesn't make sense to hold on to 2009. But that's just me, if you're happy with 2009, great.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    ^
    But how will I satisfy the self righteous hipster in me, if I don't go retro? It's not like I could help children and donate to orphanages to feel better about myself! That's just silly, what do you think, that we live in a world with options?
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Some rendering & viewport upgrade are good to know, but I wished:

- they can fix the x-form bug one day (for years...skin & rigging are painful)
    - they take out the caddie and put the old one
    - DX shader support for Nitrous (Xoliul, 3Points, etc...)

I think I still prefer the 2012 version and the old 2010 for the performance.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Is the Nitrous viewport's tangent basis synced with the scanline baker?
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Hell, why don't you guys allowed for users with custom shortcut switches to access the scene as they fit? It would be awesome if we could have two shortcuts, with one of them being DX9 and the other Nitrous instead of manually setting up stuff and restarting.

It won't save you from restarting, but setting up shortcuts to 3dsmax.exe with

-vx
    -vd

will boot max into the corresponding viewport mode, vx being nitrous.

As for 2013.. what really comes to mind is a post on the autodesk uservoice, something along the lines of "go to scriptspot.com, sort by most popular, integrate at least the top ten."

apart from the maya interaction model which i'll at least give a try, there's next to nothing about this release that i'm interested in.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing wrote: »
    It won't save you from restarting, but setting up shortcuts to 3dsmax.exe with

-vx
    -vd

will boot max into the corresponding viewport mode, vx being nitrous.

Thanks, that's really useful.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    Is the Nitrous viewport's tangent basis synced with the scanline baker?

I just want to ask this again since I couldn't find any info.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    My reaction to 3DS Max releases. Starting from 2007, which was when I first switched over.

2006-2007: Whoa no way! This, Program, IS, FUCKING, AMAZINGGGGGG!

@!!@!11!!

2007-2009: Hmm... wow autodesk... you guys must be in jail, because YOU JUST RAPED ME UNWILLINGLY, YOU WAAAAAAAAHRHGGG!!!!!111!!@!@!! Better Mapping tools, better lighting, better animation features, PRO materials and Mental Ray is off the charts, and MORE POLYGONS BABY WOOOOO!!!!!@!@!!

2009-2010: Oh.. you guys changed everything, but, not, hmmm. I mean, hmm... it crashes a lot more... I guess.

2010-2011: Wonder how Modo is doing...

2011-2013: Modo is doing pretty good!

Conclusion: I use 3DS MAX 2009 and think that MODO is kinda neat.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13