Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Uncharted 2 Environment

Se
Se
[FONT=&quot]EDIT: I gots me a video!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhUtAFJHmHs&context=C47e5519ADvjVQa1PpcFP1mS-tIfwFaF86RcOohNs3Uy-WWvstXGg="]http://youtu.be/WhUtAFJHmHs[/ame]

Hey all. I've been working on a concept from Shaddy Safadi who of course does the concept art for Naughty Dog. The concept is based in Nepal, where a lot of the game takes place. But whereas the game mostly focused on urban combat in Nepal, this area appears more suburban. I don't recall this area making it into the game.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I gave it a shot. I'm still a bit of a noob so but I'm actually surprised the way it came out. Better than expected. Here's the concept:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]001-Kath-Village.jpg[/FONT]

What’s interesting about this concept is how minimal the architecture is here, namely the large windows and the large stone structure. Compared to the architecture of Nepal and Bhaktapur, the concept was very tame. Here’s some of the architecture from Nepal.
0070DurbarSquareWindowBB.jpg
35Nepal100Kathmandu800Pashupatinath110Pashupatinath_Temple_45E1920x.jpg

b0045363_2028277.jpg

nepal5.jpg

What I ended up doing was combining his concept with the motifs and art of Nepal.
Here’s what I got so far. I’m gonna call it a day for now. UDK’s been a real bitch with the light baking, even on the lowest settings. Let me know where I can improve guys!

UnchartedSceneF.jpg
UnchartedSceneG.jpg
Highres_Screenshot_00004.jpg
Highres_Screenshot_00005.jpg
Highres_Screenshot_00006.jpg
Highres_Screenshot_00008.jpg[/IMG]

And just because, some assets.
setpiece.jpg
windowB.jpg
windowA.jpg
apePresentation.jpg

Some input would be fantastic. Hoping to put a video out soon. Thanks guys!

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    great individual assets! seriously beautiful! I feel the whole scene still feels a little empty and disconnected, lower pavement walls and maybe some vertex painted dirt and debris on the floor and lower walls to blend it all together would make it more like uncharted?
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    The individuals assets really do look good, the window and stone shrine in particular. Nice work on them.

The scale seems off a bit to me. Mostly because of the doorways, they seem to small in relation to the 'car' and it kind of throws things off.

The lighting has some nice spots where you get the hard shadows from the buildings, but other areas are just kind of muddy. I'm not sure if you have a LUT on this yet but a tweak might really help the lighting out.
  • salacious_Crumb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    salacious_Crumb polycounter lvl 11
    Really nice assets. The piece in the middle feels a bit odd to me. Like it doesn't seem to fit in with everything around it. Maybe its because its grey stone and everything else is red brick.. i dunno. The mud/sand in the middle could use a bit more detail, it looks a little flat, and almost like an off white blanket. And perhaps put some vines/ivy growing over one of the shrine pieces in the middle so they dont look so similar?
    Really like what you've done though!
  • Rabbid_Cheeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like others have said, quality work on the individual assets. Would be nice to see the highpoly wires for the windows.

That said, the scene isn't feeling quite right yet. The floor stones need to be scaled down a bit, the smoke shouldn't be jet black like that, the transition between the two center pieces and the grounds needs to be broken up more, and you might want to add a touch of DOF in there if your gpu can handle it.
  • Se
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Se
    Great feedback guys. Caught stuff I wasn't even aware of. I'll be sure to put some more work into it in the near future. Till then you guys should check out the vid. Nothing crazy, simple shots and music, just to get a feel of the place.

I definitely can see what you guys mean by with the disconnectedness with the scene. Scaling issues and the emptiness of the scene probably most contributes to that. When I go back I'm hoping to populate the scene better to make the area seem more lived in. That and I'll fix scaling and such. I'll also add more foliage to the buildings, seeing how the greens play so well against the brickwork.
  • JohnnyCrespo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh HAhA! you swoo geud!
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    really nice! I feel like some of the ivy pieces are too straight and line up with each other too much
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    The red buildings seem very..cloudy..and soft and detached from the rest of the scene.