Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Aimpoint Micro T-1 (It´s a Scope)

Here´s a scope I been working on.
Actually it was done for a tutorial I made for our school.
Ended up using Kodde´s PBL shader for the texturing.
Think I´ll call it finished now. ;)
Feel free to crit etc.

91432313.jpg
34162613.jpg
48598547.jpg

/Danny

Replies

• Ikuru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BTW Check out Aimpoints Website for loads of Ref Material that you can actually rotate in 3D, photography. It´s pretty awesome ref/help for this kind of thing.
  • SPYFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SPYFF polycounter lvl 10
    Looks ok, and nice... but! This model not require 3783 triangle, this is too mutch. Not large weapon elements, or like this, possible create under 1000 or good 500 polygon. But if you not modeling to game engines, the polycount is not very important - but make the texturing more easily! (yea, i know, my english is terrible)
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Echoing what SPYFF said, there is no reason for this to be so many triangles. In fact, it looks like you haven't done much in terms of cleanup. you've got all sorts of edge loops that aren't doing anything for the silhouette. Collapse some of em down to corners and whatnot.
  • Ikuru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SPYFF,
    darbeenbo

Thank you so much for the feedback guys! And Yes.
    Your absolutely right. :) To tell you the truth I was so busy finishing the Baking for my video-tutorial on time, I ended up forgetting to optimize the low poly meshes altogether. Having that said I need to go back and fix that. With a good cleanup I´ll probably go down to a thousand without losing anything on the silhouette.

Thanks again for the feedback and for taking the time :)
    /Danny
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    most of the optimization looks like simple edgeloop removing. shouldnt even have to remap/bake if you do it right.
    Are you in max?
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    The bake turned out nice!
    Not so much to crit on except the polycount which has already been pointed out.
    Are you in max?

I'd guess that he's in maya.. :\
  • Ikuru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady, I hope your right. Will give it a go soon enough. :) Nah, I´m in Maya. Thnx for taking the time.
  • Ikuru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang,
    Thanx Man! It´s pretty much the first time I did a proper hard surface bake of anything.
    Was a struggle to begin with, but it felt real nice getting out on the other side. ;)
    Yep ur right, how did u know I´m in Maya btw?
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    Ikuru wrote: »
    KarlWrang,
    Thanx Man! It´s pretty much the first time I did a proper hard surface bake of anything.
    Was a struggle to begin with, but it felt real nice getting out on the other side. ;)
    Yep ur right, how did u know I´m in Maya btw?

I'd probably spend some time getting the transition between the cylinder shaped scope and the main body appear more fluidly. Right now that transition is the only major thing that sticks out.

Well, since it was a tutorial for a school that mainly uses Maya I assumed that it would be your software of choice :\
  • Ikuru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again Karl, and again your right, that part is the main weak spot, at the time it seemed like the best choice to combine those shapes like that, but yeah, I should be able to fix it some how in to a solid mesh.

:) Thnx again for taking the time.