Home General Discussion

HR / Higher Ups - Is talking about salary online frowned on?

mod
What the title says. Is talking about salaries online frowned on by HR and those those in hiring positions? I've seen a couple of salary threads around here, and there is one going on over at 11secondclub.com about it as well, about if cheap, fresh talent is killing the industry. I've shared my experience in different threads, and I certainly don't want to ruin my chances with any company, but at the same time, I feel it's better to talk about it. Salaries are apart of every job, and if more and more companies are paying less and less because more people are willing to accept that. I dunno, I think conversations need to be had.

Obviously trash talking a company isn't good. But saying hey, I make this much, I feel im being underpaid and taken advantage of. How does that look to employers? I feel if they don't like you say that, it kinda goes to show they know it's true, but don't want people to know about it.

Thoughts? I'd love to hear from the recruiters / supervisors out there. Kenny, I know you use to be one. Feel free to jump in.

Feel free to let me know if you think what I wrote in the linked thread is crossing a line.

Cheers

Replies

• ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    In my experience, it's generally a faux-pas to mention your salary to anyone - but more so those you work with.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    ambershee wrote: »
    In my experience, it's generally a faux-pas to mention your salary to anyone - but more so those you work with.

Sorry, not what I make, but what I started at. What I broke into the industry with. I stay away from the salary convo with coworkers. That might be a little messy if I make more but started after them. I know to stay away from that stuff.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Employees discussing salary between themselves only empowers you. Unfortunately most people consider it a taboo subject. It's in the employers best interest to keep it that way but I think people should discuss is with discretion more often.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    You should never talk about it not to your friends or anyone. How else are these companies supposed to make a profit, if they cant collude to fix wages.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    but what I started at. What I broke into the industry with.

I mention that sometimes, when it's relevant or helpful. I don't go into any real specifics though.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It ranges so widely and is based on cost of living it's almost irrelevant to people outside your city?
    Isn't that what the Game Developer Salary Survey is all about? Gathering data from across the board and straining out all the names.

I think its important for companies to be straight forward with their pay scales and to even be open about it. It's the companies that get someones salary requirements and if its lower they go with what was requested not what they'll pay that tend to be a little shady and strongly discourage cross talk about salary.

Personally I'm not going to talk about it online, I'm much more willing to talk about it in IM with people I know pretty well or offline but you never really know how you're employer or future employers will view it. Since its so specific to areas its not really worth taking the risk.

Some employers see people who talk about salary as rabble rousers trying to eat into their profits and that its your job to negotiate effectively when offered the job. They end up with people all over the pay scale and don't like it when someone who is happy with what they make being told that the guy next to them is making a lot more doing the same thing. Those places tend to be more on the mismanaged side and fall apart. But it can save a company a lot of cash.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    I don't see why starting salaries should be taboo. It keeps a ball part figure or yard stick for new talent to work to or what they can expect. Its important when you consider new people in the industry might have never flown the nest before. In my situation I will have to relocate pretty far to be where most of the jobs are.

So having transparency on salary expectations helps with being more realistic about what kind and where accommodation is best to look for.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    even if olny counting major studios it's so depended on location and the living expenses associated with that location.

like im sure wages in say a montreal studio would be cheaper than a austin or vancouver studio.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Fuse wrote: »
    Employees discussing salary between themselves only empowers you. Unfortunately most people consider it a taboo subject. It's in the employers best interest to keep it that way but I think people should discuss is with discretion more often.

it's basically this, isn't it?
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I think it's important to pick and choose who you talk about salaries with. I've certainly shared that info with certain individuals, but, for example, I have a friend who is an artist who is exceptionally jealous of what I make compared to him, and brings it up from time to time- meanwhile the folks that are more on my level are more likely to see it as a point of data and not a point of contention.

With that in mind, I think posting as yourself publicly about how much you make is a bad idea.

I think anonymous postings are fine and I heartily encourage folks to both submit information to and consult the Game Developer/Gamasutra salary survey.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    To be honest I have no problem sharing how much money I make with friends / family. And if someone asks me what I make to help them make an informed decision on their own salary expectations I also don't mind. It helps not giving a shit what my peers earn for income but I can certainly see how this sort of information can be problematic for some.

I would never share specifics online, but saying somethings like "If you're a level artist in Vancouver with a few shipped titles under your belt, expect to earn in the $60k range, +/- $10k." Thats informative, non-specific and gives a rough idea of what to expect. It also isn't personal to the person saying it.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    adam wrote: »
    To be honest I have no problem sharing how much money I make with friends / family. And if someone asks me what I make to help them make an informed decision on their own salary expectations I also don't mind. It helps not giving a shit what my peers earn for income but I can certainly see how this sort of information can be problematic for some.

I would never share specifics online, but saying somethings like "If you're a level artist in Vancouver with a few shipped titles under your belt, expect to earn in the $60k range, +/- $10k." Thats informative, non-specific and gives a rough idea of what to expect. It also isn't personal to the person saying it.

Same here. I've never wrapped my brain around the whole taboo of discussing incomes.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    I'm in a similar boat to Adam. I've happily talked to people both in and out of industry about how much I make and how much I started on - including co-workers which ended up helping me out quite a bit on my expectations going into salary reviews and negotiations.
    It definitely helps not caring how much money you make though, to initiate those conversations. I'm at that happy point in my life where as long as I have a roof over my head and food in my belly, making art as a day job ... I'm pretty much happy regardless of the amount of disposable income I have.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    Same here. I've never wrapped my brain around the whole taboo of discussing incomes.

I see it everywhere. Back when I used to work at some small firm just doing data prep stuff I was speaking to a supervisor who was pretty laid back about everything but he did tell us once that its a sackable offence to talk about salaries.

Of course he was probably talking rubbish given how hard it was to fire people back then but it just goes to show how your main fuel to live and play a part in society is a taboo subject in many places.

But you know I'v worked in a bank since and people there basically greet you talking about salaries. Guess it depends where you are.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Employers do not want employees talking about salary because it empowers them to ask for more money.

In general, it is OK to talk about them, barring making people jealous. It's gauche to volunteer your salary to someone who didn't ask, but if someone asks I have no problem telling them.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I think starting Salaries is a safe thing to talk about, how else are newbies supposed to know not to let a big company screw them over.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    on the opposite side there's also companies (not in games though) where you can see how much everyone earns, but I think this is more something the scandinavians are into. They like transparency. Then again in general the income gap ain't as big there as in many other western countries.

Personally I think it's ridiculous if companies tell you "you cannot talk about how much you earn to anyone". It can make sense inside the company since it can bring out jealousy among employees (although you could argue it's the company's fault). Also there's the issue of "talents". People who get higher salaries because the company wants to keep them, and so on. It can become messy higher up. And for yourself, sometimes ignorance is bliss - you're perfectly happy until you find out about everyone else. It gets messy higher up I think ;)

But outside the company I see no reason.
    If companies are afraid that people find out they're underpayed and leave, it's their own damn fault. If they're overpaid, then what's the problem mentioning a figure?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I have actually had many people tell me their salaries at past companies, but once they become your coworker they prefer not to talk about it. It's all about respecting privacy, mostly.

If people are curious about ballparks for salaries, they could always check the surveys each year.

http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/980/game_developer_salary_survey_2011.php
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Haiasi wrote: »
    I have actually had many people tell me their salaries at past companies, but once they become your coworker they prefer not to talk about it. It's all about respecting privacy, mostly.

If people are curious about ballparks for salaries, they could always check the surveys each year.

http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/980/game_developer_salary_survey_2011.php

Wow! I haven't seen this in a while.

Now I'm not too thrilled with what I'm making.

:/
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Kwramm wrote: »
    on the opposite side there's also companies (not in games though) where you can see how much everyone earns, but I think this is more something the scandinavians are into. They like transparency. Then again in general the income gap ain't as big there as in many other western countries.

In sweden you can request the information about anyones salary through paperwork from the government, but otherwise most companies are the same as anywhere else, no talking.
  • Ahrkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey polycounter lvl 18
    eld wrote: »
    In sweden you can request the information about anyones salary through paperwork from the government, but otherwise most companies are the same as anywhere else, no talking.

Not their salaries but their yearly income which can include a numbers of things(salary, stocks, real estate etc.)
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    lots of countries don't even have such surveys or any data about game dev salaries so talking to devs seems the only way to get some idea of what how much you could be making.

after my last job interview i briefly talked to 2 devs smoking outside of the studio.
    one of them seemed curious about how much i asked for. he didn't seem to expect that i would tell him but i did, precisely to get some data.

when asked whether amount was too high, too low or okeyish they said it seemed like a fitting starting amount.

"i see, so i asked for too low" i said jokingly, accusing them of not being honest
    then they said that they really think it was good starting salary and explained factors that in their opinion contributed to the fact that it wasn't really "too low" or too high.

so yeah, talking to people can help.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Wow! I haven't seen this in a while.

Now I'm not too thrilled with what I'm making.

:/

Yeah what? it says an artist with 6+ years experience should be making 86,000 USD is that true??

Then at the end its got average salary USA being 71k and europe being 41k (both usd). Is it really that much of a jump?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Average programmer salary $86,000 + $17,000 benefits" my arse.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Ok, so most people are saying ya, you should be able to talk about it, but my question still remains. How do people in hiring positions see it when they do a little search online and see you telling people what you make. Or that you feel used because you`re making half what you should, but bust your ass off.

Like, I tell people my foot in the door story because I think its good for people to know that just because everyone tells you you should be making 35-40k straight outta school, doesn't mean all companies will pay that. And some companies will take advantage of your willingness to work for cheeap.

But will it ward off employers? I try to be very careful and not sound like I'm bitching about my company. Try to stick to just how I feel about it all. Here is what I wrote in the other thread. I'm curious what you guys think.
    Funny thing is, this isn't just happening in India.

I've noticed that more and more studios are paying less and less to new talent. I graduated and was told during my schooling that as an animator, I should be making ~800 dollars a week (in Canada) to start. When I finally got myself a job, I was making less than half of that. I started, after 3 years of school, at minimum wage (10.25 an hour). It's what they were offering. I jumped on it. I was making slightly more an hour at the restaurant I was working at, but with the full time hours, it actually worked out to be more money each pay day, and it was in my field. I figured I would build up experience and then get a better job. I do love my job. And I definitely don't think it's all about the money. But a guys gotta pay his bills, and get his own place. For a long time, I felt ashamed of it. I felt like I was being used and taken advantage of because I knew I should be making more, and I work my butt off every day. My friends who got jobs elsewhere were all making way more than me. But what can you do when places want work experience? It's tough. It really is. Now, if I was living on my own, I wouldn't have taken this job. I just couldn't afford it. But luckily, I was still living at home with the parents, and they were nice enough to be paying my insurance for my car as well. Because of that, I was able to this job (been here for over a year now) and focus on paying off my student debt.

What stopped me from feeling so ashamed about it all was that I started hearing more and more stories about people making minimum wage, or next to it. I met the president of one of the local-ish companies, and I actually asked him what his thoughts are on all this. All he said was that his company certainly doesn't do that (which is true. Friends have confirmed that). So that is at least good to know that not ALL companies are. But it still sucks to see more and more companies taking advantage of people willing to jump at a job for any money.

It's a tough subject though. It's rarely talked about, and people are afraid to talk about it in case they get in trouble at work. Or maybe they might look bad to future employers. Thing is, it's something that is apart of EVERY job. Money is a part of it. And if a company doesn't want you talking about it for fear they will look bad. Well, that kind of goes to show that they know they are doing something wrong but still do it. It hurts the quality of life in the office, and quality of life is important, and I feel the good companies, the ones I want to work for, know that and treat their employees properly. I've definitely heard some really good things about some of the bigger companies around here.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think there's also the catch that there are now considerably more very capable people where there aren't nearly as many more positions for them to occupy. Where there's a lot of competition, salaries will go down. Take a look at extreme database programmers, the kind that work in either MMOG backends, or in banking systems etc; they are presently in high demand and there are very few people with the appropriate skillset to fit the void. As a result their salaries are very high.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Well I imagine salaries can't go down much in certain areas. I know Guildford is a good place to find work but its a very expensive place to live if your relocating for the first time. Most of the people I know that work there have to commute in just as they would working in London.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To address your post specifically, I think the situation you're in is rather disheartening and I think it reflects very poorly on your employer, but not you.

However, as someone who is being honest about your employer's poor practices, you are (regardless as to good intentions and careful wording) still helping to create a negative image. I don't think it is beneficial to you in the abstract. I think you're doing everything right in how you put things (not directly mentioning your employer, etc) but the reality is your employer looks shitty because their practices are shitty, and having your name associated with something that makes your employer look bad, even if you're the victim, is inviting trouble, and in your particular post, offering no real benefit, in my opinion - you're putting forth an argument that you're being taken advantage of, but other people have been even more abused, so your story isn't so bad after all, which isn't a story that benefits anyone.

Ultimately, when publishing something to the internet, you're making it available to anyone - maybe you aren't important enough to have everyone take note, but once you release something into the wild, you are making it available, anonymously, to anyone.

If someone wants to talk salary with me (and like I said, I have talked about salaries with a number of people) I would rather do it in private.

The only time you should be publicly posting about your employer is to celebrate something great about them. I've posted before about how awesome Volition is as an employer, both here, on other websites, and on facebook, (and they are, and they pay competitive wages in a place with relatively low cost of living - when I started as a junior I was certainly not in the predicament you are in). There are bad days and downsides to any job, but I would never post about any of those publicly, no matter how objectively or fairly I was talking about them, because there is no benefit to that.

Good things deserve to be shouted from the rooftops, bad things deserve to be bitched about over beers after work.

For what it's worth, I think as we approach next-gen we're going to see another wave of mass hiring across the industry to staff up, and probably a lot more outsourcing studios as well.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Slipsius: If hiring management of any sort does look online and sees you talking about your current salary, I don't doubt that you will be given a very firm talking-to. If they see you talking about past salaries and they get upset, if it were me I wouldn't be as concerned. At that point it's just data.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    To address your post specifically, I think the situation you're in is rather disheartening and I think it reflects very poorly on your employer, but not you.

However, as someone who is being honest about your employer's poor practices, you are (regardless as to good intentions and careful wording) still helping to create a negative image. I don't think it is beneficial to you in the abstract. I think you're doing everything right in how you put things (not directly mentioning your employer, etc) but the reality is your employer looks shitty because their practices are shitty, and having your name associated with something that makes your employer look bad, even if you're the victim, is inviting trouble, and in your particular post, offering no real benefit, in my opinion - you're putting forth an argument that you're being taken advantage of, but other people have been even more abused, so your story isn't so bad after all, which isn't a story that benefits anyone.

Ultimately, when publishing something to the internet, you're making it available to anyone - maybe you aren't important enough to have everyone take note, but once you release something into the wild, you are making it available, anonymously, to anyone.

If someone wants to talk salary with me (and like I said, I have talked about salaries with a number of people) I would rather do it in private.

The only time you should be publicly posting about your employer is to celebrate something great about them. I've posted before about how awesome Volition is as an employer, both here, on other websites, and on facebook, (and they are, and they pay competitive wages in a place with relatively low cost of living - when I started as a junior I was certainly not in the predicament you are in). There are bad days and downsides to any job, but I would never post about any of those publicly, no matter how objectively or fairly I was talking about them, because there is no benefit to that.

Good things deserve to be shouted from the rooftops, bad things deserve to be bitched about over beers after work.

For what it's worth, I think as we approach next-gen we're going to see another wave of mass hiring across the industry to staff up, and probably a lot more outsourcing studios as well.

I love that positive ending