Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space Pirate Chick

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Goeddy greentooth
So im planning on entering this spacer-contest.
long time since i did a chick, so this is good practice

i gotta nail this, so i would be gratefull for critique.

current state:
done
reflecte1low.jpg

eat some concept:
spacepiratesketch.jpg

Replies

• mixamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dang, really loving what we see so far.

Can't wait to see where this goes.
  • mr gelmir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr gelmir polycounter lvl 10
    I have no idea what the weapons do, but they look very badass =O !

good luck!
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    theese are e-blades or something.
    thought this might be usefull when everyone and everything is mantled in metal.
    could be used to drain energy from hostile devices to power up her own suit.
    gues those mechanical bodyparts would consume quite a lot of energy.

anyways here is some progress. The hair is strictly WIP i i will completely redo it if i have the time.
    hpface1.jpg
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would you mind sharing the technique of sculpting hair? (I like it even though it is WIP).

Cool stuff, wanna see more. :)
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    well that is realy basic.
    -made a basemesh in max with the general shape.
    -then i pulled out some very rough strains with clay-tubes.
    -cut in there with Orbs crack brush in the direction of the hair flowing.
    -last part is using trim dynamics brush to flatten it out and get the "blobbines" out of there.

hope this helps :)
    also at the hair-roots i used the negated orb crack brush to pull out some smaller strains.

also more progress:
    bodzscrn1.jpg
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    so here some more progress. not shure if i give her a gun too.
    i left out the more fine detail for now, i gues thats gonna be done all at once when the generell shape is done.
    scrn1f.jpg
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    You've lost the nice curve of the waist you had in the concept. Other than that you've got some nice detail going on in the legs. Looking forward to more.

Also the mouth and chin in the side view of the face could do with being move back a bit more. The bridge of the nose also looks quite thick. Maybe you could thin that down while your at it.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    What contest are you talking about? :D I think Di$array is correct. Some of your anatomy is needing a little love. Her ribcage seems to be very small as well and I think her head is a tad large but, that could be the style you are going for. It might be that her cheekbone structure is very masculine and her overall face is square?
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    the contest is the mixamo character contest.

thanks, you both confirmed some points i wasnt realy shure about before.

the waistline is definitly a thing. i thought that just gets killed by the armor, but fuck anatomy, ima bring that back^^ also she is still getting that belt, maby that will bring it back a bit.

face, also true. i knew something was off, but i couldnt realy figure what it was.
    and i gues ill also shrink the head a bit :D
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    so i adjusted the waist a bit, also the nosebridge got fixed. the mouth isnt that easy though, i gues i´ll push that back and see if i realy have to change it in the end.
    also more progress on armor and boots.
    scrn2.jpg
    oldnewd.jpg
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
    she kinda reminds me of jenny Labaw
    games2011womene5jennyla.jpg
  • mixamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming together, unique face. I like it !
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Already looking better! :D
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    well that was a fitting comment xD i tweaked the proportions a bit.
    scrn3v.jpg
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    addet some more detail, the grenades will only be on one side btw.
    scrn1q.jpg
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She seems little bulky comparing to the concept, legs especially. I second what Di$array said.

Apart from that I really like what I am seeing. :)
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good so far! The main bit thats throwing me off is the shapes around the upper torso, especially the armor. Its giving her a flat and boxey look, not very flattering. I don't mean to suggest making her into a cyber slut, but if you enhance some of her feminine shapes in that area it could improve the overall look.
  • Cortes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cortes polycounter lvl 6
    Maybe if you removed one of the 'grenade' pack things from one of the sides of her waist it would help to improve the silhouette.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Grenades on sides are uncomfortable, widen her hips instead (add some servo like structure to it to fake femininity in her) and attack the grenades on the legs sides, at arms length.

Based upon the OC, slim her legs down so that they make an almost V like shape till around the calf part before extending out to be the foot.

Down-scale her pad on her shoulders and bring them down more, then extend a part only from middle of the pads, upwards and give it a slight bent, so that you don't get any clipping issues, even at extreme angles.

Her chest piece, in terms of front view is flat, the OC has a nice representation of her breasts with the slight under curve, while the current straight cuts make her look flat. Remember, curvy designs are organic.

Based upon the OC naturally, if you mean those changes to stick post WIP, then disregard what I wrote.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    thx for all the feedback :)

@uncle
    yes totaly right, so i went from making the legs and hips and everything bigger, to making the rest smaller instead. her will stay that bulky for now.

@SCB
    yeah right. i think im gonna play around with the shapes a bit. this will require some more time i gues, but it has to be done.

@cortes
    i temporarely removed them so gyus get a better view of her body-shape.

@ace-angel
    good idea, i thin im gonna scale the grenades down and put em somewhere else. not shure where exactly, since there isnt much space left on her arms, but i´ll fit em in somewhere.

i adjusted the legs and the shoulderarmor, chest is next up, but its donna take some more time and experimentation.
    defenitly more curves incomming.

scrn2l.jpg
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    back in action!
    Hp nearly done, i will only add some smaler details here and there, or fix something if it seems realy off.
    wip1lo.png
  • OriginLinear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started a thread earlier with the exact same title and for the same contest. Perhaps I was subliminally influenced or something, that is very strange... Anyway, I "removed" my thread and might try another later, so it doesn't get confused with this one.

On topic....

I like your over all design. Only things I think I would change is the width of the bridge of the nose, and maybe make her legs a bit longer.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    nevermind dude.
    after 22 hours of retopoing i present:
    the naked lowpoly. only texture and some finishing to do.
    lpscrn1ao.png
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    getting close now, also experimenting with the spec.
    scrn3.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    Tho your side and front views look good, the proportions in your perspective still seem a little messed up. I think the head is still a little big... but that could just be the supper high hairline and the supper big and white eyes (the huge contrast between the eyes and skin is making them look even bigger). Also, try to puff the hair out more to break the silhouette of the scalp.

1-s2.0-S1090513805000218-gr1.jpg
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    fixed the thing with the eyes(sort of)
    also i addet more hair, so her hairline should be more appealing. also boosts up her volume.
    thx for the advice.
    scrn5.jpg
    going to sleep now and finishing her after that.
  • Saiainoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saiainoshi polycounter lvl 9
    The muscle strips on her legs are so contrasty, that's the only place I want to look. Visually the contrast is so busy compared to everything else. It's a cool idea, but I think you could sell it better by toning it back a little.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    puh finaly done, i addet a touch more spec to the rest of the armor, the intense contrast also got a bit lost in the engine and the metal parts popped a bit more

finalrender2w.jpg
    finalrender1.jpg
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Thats looking pretty good! What engine is that?
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    thx mate, its the unreal engine.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice work, lovin the armour! The only thing I don't like about this is her head. Its so white it kind of makes her look like a ghoulish albino, but it looks better on the dark background. Maybe if you add some subtle colour layers in her hair it might offset this, or as shes a sci fi pirate, maybe a more cyberpunk sort of hair would look cool? I think neon blue and chrome hair extensions could look pretty cool!
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    so i experimented a bit with reflections. maby im going to rebuilt that shader in UDK.
    damn! them reflections look so good on that ass.
    reflecte1low.jpg