Home Unreal Engine

Beam emitter question

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
naked_chicken polycounter lvl 10
Is it possible to have a beam fire intermittently? It always seems to be constantly on, I'd like it to fire just like a regular particle system with a variable spawn rate.

Setting a variable spawn rate does nothing.

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    which beam are you talking about?

a actual actor that produces a beam or a modual in cascade, if something in cascade you could edit it's curve on the alpha.
  • imbueFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imbueFX polycounter lvl 5
    Hrmmm well beams aren't controlled by the spawn module, unfortunately. I've never had to do this but a starting point would be to make sure your emitter loops is set to 0, and give your lifetime a uniform distribution range. Can you be more specific about your goals with this particle system?
  • naked_chicken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    naked_chicken polycounter lvl 10
    So I want to try using it to create lightning. I got it working decently but need to be able to control how often it fires. The other issue I had was placement, I was hoping to have the beam fire from other particles I send out into the clouds but the particle attach for the beam source apparently doesn't work.
  • imbueFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imbueFX polycounter lvl 5
    Yes to dynamically control/spawn it, it needs to be done through script. Sadly I don't know uscript (it's on my list), so I can't help with that part :(

I really like the concept of beams arcing from particle to particle. There may be ways to fake it through attachments and the direct/location module. I've never tried it, but I think something cool could arise from it! Hope that helps.