Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Facial Modelling

Hi guys
I'm currently working on a project that requires me to model my head using photo references in 3ds Max and to then sculpt in the fine details in ZBrush.
At this point I have modelled the head so the next step is to attach the ears.
If you guys could give me some feedback on what could be improved it would be extremely useful.
Thanks.
planning.jpgprogress.jpgCheers guys.

Replies

• amingtonspitfires
    I've now attached the ear to the head, however, I feel as though the edge flow is a little messy, what do you guys think? Ive also tried to make the proportions of the face more accurate too. If you guys have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.
    progress1-1.jpg
    Thanks again.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    I don't do character modeling so take this with a grain of salt but the bridge of his nose seems a bit too narrow.
  • amingtonspitfires
    Yeah now that you mention it the bridge is rather narrow. I'll adjust it now
    Cheers Biofrost!
  • amingtonspitfires
    So I've imported the model into ZBrush in hope that I can sculpt in some fine details. This is how it currently looks.
    SculptingProgress.jpg
    Feedback is appreciated
    cheers
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    THe first step you should take is to clean up the seams. For instance there seems to be a sharp edge down the center of the forehead which can be seen in the 3/4 view. Also, the edge of the ear should be thickened as it currently appears to be sharp. On top of this I would recommend reading about the underlying anatomy of the face. This will allow you to define some of the different forms in the jaw, cheek, brow, etc. keep it up.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
  • amingtonspitfires
    Cheers for the feedback guys, i've took it all into account and tried to adjust my face accordingly.
    This is where i'm currently at with my model.
    Feedback is appreciated :)
    SculptingProgress3.jpg
  • darthwilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    use the smooth brush to get rid of that forehead seam. The top of his head in the front view is too flat and the pole at the back of the head are very obvious!

Topology in the face as well needs work! I would recommend killing half of the geometry making it easier to work with!

Keep going though!
  • Parralax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parralax polycounter lvl 4
    Nice work, I agree with darthwilson that the head is too flat on top.

Just in case you don't know ZBrush's spotlight will really help you get a photo-realistic texture on that model.
  • amingtonspitfires
    So i've attempted to smooth out that hideous seam on the forehead as well as trying to curve the top of the head to make it more anatomically correct.
    Yeah I was thinking of using spotlight as its a nifty little tool :)

anyway this is how my model is currently looking
    C&C more than welcome :)
    SculptingProgress4.gif
  • amingtonspitfires
  • amingtonspitfires
    Update of how the face is currently looking, feedback appreciated.

comparisson1-1.jpg
  • amingtonspitfires
    So i've now retopologized my model to a tri count of 3,150 and i've also created a diffuse for it and this is how it currently looks
    xoliul-2.jpg

My next step is to produce a normal map and to model the eyes which I think I might struggle with as ive never done either before, so if anyone has any tips or tutorials it would be appreciated, thanks :)
  • amingtonspitfires
    I've now imported my model into UDK and this is the outcome.
    Feedback is more than welcome, thanks

Front-4.jpg34.jpgSide-4.jpg
  • ah_lex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What have you based the tricount on this head from? Have you considered interiors for the eyes, a mouthsock, teeth and a tongue?

You look like you've got maybe a normal seam on the side of the neck, can't really comment without seeing the normal map and unwrap.

I'd adjust the lighting to show off the surface detail and pores that I can see in the sculpt, I'd push the hair out as well using Ndo or similar with a height map based on the hair.

How are you representing the skin? Are you using dx11 (http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ScreenSpaceSubsurfaceScattering.html) or something more simple like transmission. You might end up having to remove more of the lighting information in the texture depending on which of these you use.

I'd also adjust the eyelids as they are making the eyes look a bit odd, the overall shape is not quite right, also the photo texture is at odds with the eyelid at the side and top. The eyeballs are too white at the moment, I've found that greys, yellows and blues in tiny amounts help on the white of the eye as do blood vessels in small amounts. Check this out although not directly relevant you can see some of the maps and applications. (http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/category/167/Free-Maya-Tutorials)

I'd also sort out the dark shadows on the lips too, whether that's lighting, texture or normal.

Certainly coming along and a great improvement so far!
  • amingtonspitfires
    Hi ah_lex the tricount is based from this website http://www.rsart.co.uk/2007/08/27/yes-but-how-many-polygons/ which states that the tricount of Drake from Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune was 30,000. Additionally Polycount user "poopipe" suggested that "The usual rule of thumb is 25% of the total character polycount." Therefore, the maximum tricount that for this project was 7,500.
    With regards to the mouthsock, teeth and tongue they are not of high importance at the moment as I dont plan on animating the mouth of the model. However, if time is available towards the end of the project they might be produced.
    I totally agree about the normal seam on the neck, the eyelids and the shadows on the lips need a lot of work.

With regards to the shaders, additional work has now been carried out displaying the results of using the DX11 sss shader (as shown in the images below)

5-4.jpg
    6-2.jpg
    7-2.jpg
  • amingtonspitfires
    So its been a while since I last updated this thread but I reckon this project is nearly finished unless you guys have any more crits :)
    Since I last posted I have slightly adjusted the model/textures and composited all of the models into a UDK scene.
    Anyways here are the results of my testing.

Head With A Standard Shader
    NoShader_1024x576.jpg

Head With The DT3D Skin Shader
    DT3D_1024x576-1.jpg

Head With The DX11 SSS Enabled
    SSS_1024x576-1.jpg

Head Produced With FaceGen With Standard Shader
    Facegen_1024x576-1.jpg

Scanned Head Which Was Retopologized With Standard Shader Applied
    Scan_1024x576-1.jpg

In addition to this a little YouTube video has also been created to give you a further insight into the creation of the modelled head.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS2ZeFM-8-U"]Facial Modelling for UDK - YouTube[/ame]

Feedback on which head looks most visually pleasing would be appreciated :)

Thanks again guys!