Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Possible Collab? Evolution!

Replies

• Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    BRUGO.jpg

One of my favorites, also one of the more beautifully abstract creatures. I think this was the same kid that a generation earlier started the whole 'turtle' trend in that group, which persisted for another 8 generations after that one!
  • Saigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sparr I dunno, pick me a random one, I might just make it when I have some free time
    @minorthreat For rendering, you should disable mip-maps and texture filtering in texture properties, see screenshot. Also, turn off ambient occlusion, as it seems to influence textures too.
    example.png
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    How's this one, Saigo?
    IMG_085.jpg
  • Saigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah, nice! Gonna model it.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Can i get a close-up of this one? (located at top / right side)

HornCreature.jpg
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    Here you are!
    bighorn-orig.jpg

This guy was also part of my skeleton project, http://evolutionanimation.wordpress.com/2012/10/03/skeletons-40/
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jermaineb polycounter lvl 13
    awww man. i think i might join this lol :P
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    Simply pick a creature and you're on your way!
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    That was fun! i might do a low poly version and texture it.

evolution.jpg
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    Very nice! I still need to complete the tree with the newer 400 or so creatures so you guys can pull from that too.

There are also these creatures I got from the Richmond Public Library when I left some paper and crayons there for a month for people to doodle with. Some interesting stuff in here that hasn't been utilized in anything yet.

richmond-library-creatures.jpg
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    Also could I get some real names (if you don't mind?) to credit you guys when I post them to my website?
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Sure, i'm Patrick Boisvert.
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    I'm Tyler Barker.
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been aiming for speed. I did this and the texture in under two hours. It seems like an incredibly long time for most people but this is, like, my fourth creature I've ever done so it's an improvement in my eyes. XD
    brugo.png
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    Looks good! Two hours sounds fine to me; that's about how long all of my creatures took, but I'm no expert either. Is that his mouth on the bottom there? haha, and what are those things on his head?
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that's his mouth. The things on the side of his head are little gill like structures for taking in air since I imagined his mouth would be suctioned to the ground a lot of the time.
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    DID YOU KNOW?!!
    Insects breathe that way through spiracles, and maggots, for instance, have them on their butt so they can burrow their mouth and body deep into something without suffocating!
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's awesome! I love evolution and xenobiology. I've actually drawn an entire ecosystem comprising of hundreds of creatures for a game I plan to make someday, so this is good practice.
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    Anywhere we can see these pictures?
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jermaineb polycounter lvl 13
    could i get this one?
    weirdees_zps6ea103fb.jpg
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
  • aliasbane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, mind if i get a higher res of this little guy?
    opps sorry wrong image link -.-

creature_1_zps303ec33a.jpg
    this is my first polycount post! I am prolly going to do a bunch of these guys I see a few others i like.
  • Saigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eaQHf.png

I felt like changing the original colors on this one.
    You know, I kind of like how aside from exploring ideas of evolution of matter/organisms, this also explores the evolution of art and the relations between the different media of art. In a way, your project can trace the history of visual art from cave painting-like kids doodles to animation, 3d graphics and beyond. It really works on many different levels.
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    Ha, thanks! Yeah, the actual process of getting the drawings is more interesting in itself than the animation, as the kids begin to take the game personally and exhibit 'real' evolutionary behavior, or go through various mini-phases of human society and the human condition in the course of a few minutes, which is pretty crazy to witness. We also get the drawings by making 80 or so copies of 5 or so originals, so the constant artistic shaping also has an 'evolution of art' feel to it. As we go on the drawings tend to get more complicated as well, where at first its just a creature, and eventually they start adding background, motivations for their creature, and writing things in the margin to try and plead their case for why their creature is better and deserves to live. It's also why I was trying to get various artists to take their own spin in a medium not restricted to crayon, because it 'evolves' the creatures further, as in your case where you altered the colors and removed the fur, changed the mouth hairs, etc. You can see all my and others 'extra' artworks on the derivative art on my blog here http://evolutionanimation.wordpress.com/category/derivative-art/

A few months ago along with my plant evolutions I had them do some predator/prey interactions, and my predator was in a distinct 'stalking pose,' which I had never done before, with all of the other animals being fairly neutral. Because it was slightly more awkward to draw, the kids struggled a bit more, but what came out of it really reminded me of ancient hieroglyphs and carvings of animals hunting in these distinct artistic styles that obviously change through time and through each culture, but the pose is rarely broken etc. I'll put some of them up here eventually as well.

Oh, and would you mind giving me your real name Saigo so I can credit you on my website?
  • Saigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, that's really interesting. Another interesting aspect of it is to explore different art styles through drawing various creatures, to see what works and what doesn't, to draw different versions or try and translate them from one medium to another as you did and evolve style and technique. So, again, very interesting. Pick me another one, maybe something from the same branch. Maybe I'll try to go in some different direction than the previous two and the first one.
    Oh, and my name is Bogdan Gontar.
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    One thing I noticed is that, if l ask people to choose a creature, that 9 times out of 10 they choose from the upper right. Those were the creatures from my initial test group of college aged people, so naturally their creatures are a little more 'designed' and perhaps more 'interesting' to people than the others. I don't really feel that way, of course, and when, for instance, I was making skeletons for a variety of the creatures, I found the more abstracted designs to be more fun because I had to look at it and wonder what they hell was going on!

Try to give this one a shot, Saigo.
    macetail-orig.jpg?w=580&h=386

I made a skeleton for it here. http://evolutionanimation.wordpress.com/2012/08/25/skeletons-9/
  • aliasbane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i decided to model the blue guy I wanted last morning. I dont like the texture much but I might redo or work on it again. Tho it game out pretty well.

Blue_Creature_Sheet_zps439d5532.jpg

Also anyway I could get a higher res version of the center purple branch of the tree. I want to do some of the simple yet colorful creatures there.
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    Not exactly sure what branch you mean, with the center being all 5 branches very close to each other. Here's the whole purple generation anyway.
    vsZ2o.jpg

Oh, I also made another alternate evolution animation that I had never shown you guys. It swaps out the creatures from the top left part of the tree for the bottom right, and instead of ending with the ice age, it ends 'underground.'

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqCn4nELMPo"]Evolution! version:VCU Lobs and Lessons - YouTube[/ame]
  • aliasbane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Sparr, that is exactly the part I wanted. Expect some more from me this week!
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    I've been aiming for speed. I did this and the texture in under two hours. It seems like an incredibly long time for most people but this is, like, my fourth creature I've ever done so it's an improvement in my eyes. XD
    brugo.png

I always loved this little guy, and when you reminded me of him I started a little artwork that I just now got around to finishing. I also just realized why you called it BRUGO (that was the filename shorthand from imgur, haha)

turtle-rock.jpg
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    Well, which one do you want?!
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the electric looking one on this page
    Upper Left
    yellow turquoise color
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • The_Onomatopoeia
    This is awesome can i get a closer look at these 2?
    batthing_zps1e671139.jpg
    foxthing_zpsce6e19a5.jpg
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
  • The_Onomatopoeia
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    turtlebones-3d.jpg?w=580&h=718

Made a thing based off a skeleton I drew, based off an original drawing by a kid! You can see the chain here.
    http://evolutionanimation.wordpress.com/2013/01/15/3-d-turtlebones/
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for posting me on the blog, I'm honored! XD The cave animation was an awesome alternative to the original. I'm wondering, is the second video like a different timeline, or is it a different evolutionary branch working on the same timeline as the ice age?
    Anyway, I'm not sure if I'll do all of these (or maybe I will!), but can I get larger versions of these plants? I really need to practice modelling plants, uv mapping, and especially texturing.
    alienevoplant_zpsd547b865.png
    alienevoplant2_zps337efe42.png
    alienevoplant3_zps65ea0bcf.png
    alienevoplant4_zps08bc819a.png
    alienevoplant5_zpsbb2c3c05.png
    alienevoplant6_zps5092a962.png
    alienevoplant7_zps7b1ec100.png
    I think it's cool how you're able to motivate the kids to change their thought processes. It seems like when the drawings appear to be very similar to the original, you start a new tree with one of the more different drawings, and there's suddenly an explosion of creativity.

Also about that thing I mentioned; the drawings of the ecosystem, I had actually intended to post them until I realized I don't have a photocopier. :p I do, however have a camera with dead batteries, so I'm going to try and remember to get new batteries for the sake of documentation!
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    The cave animation can be thought of as 'both'. Its a sort of alternative history, in that every group starts out exactly the same and stays the same(until the final 2 generations), but it also follows the same generational epochs, so you could also think of all the creatures inhabiting the same planet at the same time, just in different parts of the world/biomes. It shows how even though the hundreds upon hundreds of creatures look different from each other, every single one of them comes from a single common ancestor.

Here are your plants!
    http://imgur.com/a/XXrSs

And get a scanner!
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The first plant I saved onto my computer was named "ctenoimbricata_spinosa_by_ntamura-d54ari1", but after going back to check, it was renamed to "9jFB8". Do the other plants have scientific names?
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    I don't really know what you mean, but the file you described is this
    ctenoimbricata_spinosa_by_ntamura-d54ari1.jpg

maybe you got your files confused or something? I dunno, but none of the plants/animals have scientific names, although I have named some of the animals simple things in my skeleton sometimes so I can remember and keep track of them (fathead, lumphead, squatbody, etc)

Nobu Tamura did make this creature drawing for me, though, so maybe thats where you're getting mixed up somehow?
    blue_monster_nt-wm.jpg?w=580&h=435
    http://evolutionanimation.wordpress.com/2012/10/20/derivative-art-5/
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XD Yeah that's really weird, I know exactly what happened. I downloaded both of those images, but deleted them because I had copies in another folder. By clicking on the file and deleting it, I had set the name of the plant image to save it as. That's weird, sorry for the confusion XD

EDIT:
    Hey I just took some pictures of some of my ecosystem drawings, should I post them here or do you want me to pm them to you?
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    Might as well let everyone see them, if you don't mind, of course.
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't want to consume the entire page with drawings so here's a link to a slideshow. It's not all of my drawings, and unfortunately I've only actually drawn on paper a fraction of what's in my head. Most of this stuff is inspired from weird dreams. You should be able to right click and "view" the images to be able to read the words and see closer detail, but photobucket has a shitty resolution. Believe it or not, the first creature I encountered in a dream is the thing on the bottom right side of the third to last page.

ZION
    For some reason, to view it up close, you have to right-click on the left side of the image or else it'll open up the next picture.

Zion is a gas planet comprising of an atmosphere bearing a striking resemblance in composition to earth.
    The landmass is an array of floating islands; I'd love to say it's due to certain elements reacting with the strong magnetic field surrounding the planet, but I really don't have any knowledge of physics or geology. XD
    I think my biggest inspiration for the actual geology of the planet was playing Half Life 1 as a kid, and always wondering what Xen would be like if it actually supported an ecosystem, and I guess that idea flourished into something of its own.
    The ecosystems I have imagined are incredibly dense and biodiverse, and the weather is very humid.
    Interestingly enough, despite a complete lack of lakes or oceans, water is abundant on Zion.
    The planet itself rotates on an axis running almost parallel with the poles, meaning the north pole is too hot for life (aside from micro-organisms), the south pole is in perpetual cold and darkness, and the equator, where most of the life lies, is always in twilight.
    The days and nights are hard to determine, but the sun appears to "bounce" on the horizon as the planet wobbles on its axis, so during the peak of a day the sun will be slightly higher in the sky.
    The game will actually be even more interesting then the planet alone. I've planned several characters who get thrown into this alien environment. They try and work together to survive and explore, but sanity deteriorates easily as stress has its tole on the characters, from both external and internal forces. I have much of the story planned out, including a mind blowing sequel that will take place 500 years later.

If you have any questions about any of it feel free to ask. I'm actually using this evolution thread as practice so I can model and texture my own creatures. XD
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    Cool stuff, some of those plants look pretty dang close to what the kids came up with, haha. When did you start drawing these things?
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Freshmen year of highschool, so somewhere around 2008.
  • lancer611
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have there been anything thoughts about making some kind of game from these assets? Perhaps a mobile childrens game?