Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

baking normals help???

]I am a 60 year old granny, with extensive fine art background, trying to teach myself 3D sculpting, oh my aching brain! Being a very visual thinker, it is difficult to learn from wikis full of words, reading all those technical terms that just bounce off the front of my forehead.

Using Zbrush and Blender, obviously not the ideal marriage of software, but it's what I've got.

LOVE Zbrush, and have made rapid progress there, and can also build very good low poly models in Blender. Anatomy is my strong point, I want to specialize in realistic animals, especially horses, since there don't seem to be many of those offered online.

But... all I can send potential clients are Zproject files, because figuring out how to bake normals in Blender is driving me nuts, and am having trouble reading Xnormal instructions because I don't even know what they are saying.

Please don't just tell me to read more tutorials? What I'd like are books with pictures, I learn very fast from pictures, and books are much easier to read than scrolling endless wiki pages. Any suggestions for good book titles?

That said, it's a blast modeling without making big messes with clay, and gratifying to know I'll never need paper nor run out of colours again.

Thanks for this excellent forum, and thanks for any help you can offer.

skellyhorse.jpg

EliZ.jpg

Centaur-all%20views.jpg

Replies

• Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Have you tried watching video tutorials? I don't know for sure but I wouldn't think there are any up to date books on blender as its changing so quickly.

This guys tutorial might help, [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY6-RtGwfLo"]blender 2.5 normal map tutorial - YouTube[/ame] . I think he gets to the important bit 2 mins in. Make sure you assign a new (can be blank) image to the low poly model UV window. You might also need to set the Distance and Bias but the settings depend on the model. I found keeping bias at half the distance helps sometimes but I'm sure its behaviour changed in one build...

Some other good webpages for video tutorials are,
    http://cgcookie.com/blender
    http://www.blenderguru.com/
    and of course, youtube.

I haven't gone though it totally and its a text tutorial but this looks good too.
    http://cgcookie.com/blender/2010/06/30/normal_maps_blender_2_5/
  • travelerinthyme
    Thank you. Basically, I think I understand what to do, just with there was someone right here at my desk to show me which buttons to push <LOL>
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Just wait until you've got the normal map baked but unexplained seams or funny lighting, that's when the fun really starts!
  • travelerinthyme
    So far, I've been able to get away with sending my client the Zbrush project file, and letting HIM do the baking.
  • travelerinthyme
    Oh, and don't forget all those $%#@#$%^ flipped faces....grrrr.
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are loads of ways to do it that it really comes down to which one people prefer.

I personally like to use xNormal from http://www.xnormal.net/Downloads.aspx
    I just installed that program and then you save your high poly sculpt out as an OBJ file and load it into xNormal in the top right button. Then you can load your low poly unwrapped version in the button just below that and then on the 3rd button down you can play around with setting as to how sharp the image will be and what texture size it will render to including how to use plus and minor drop down boxes to say flip the green channel.

Rendering is pretty simple when all that's done, just press the big red button on the bottom and it should save as a BMP where you set the destination folder in the setting menu.

Hope that helps, it can be a lot to take in at first, failing this I would also recommend those video tutorials or check if you have any good local library that might have tutorials books on 3d and texturing, university libraries are probably the best for those subjects.
  • Ooghijmiqtxxa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooghijmiqtxxa polycounter lvl 17
    I just wanted to jump in here and say that I hope that when I am 60 grandpa, that I am trying to learn new things. Awesome.
  • travelerinthyme
    Thank you, I did download xNormal, but being a little old lady, my technical vocabulary is completely deficient, and I have a hard time understanding the language. I learned Blender and Zbrush by pushing enough buttons until I got something right <LOL>
  • travelerinthyme
    What I need is a team member. I'll sculpt and paint, you can rig and render. Any takers?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I don't know if you'll find anyone willing to take that up so quickly, and I don't even think that's such a good idea, since you'll always be dependant...

What exactly do you have trouble with? You seem to have come quite far already by yourself, so i think you can really pull through this if you just keep at it. Are the video's not sufficient ?
    Personally i'd advise you to try and get to the bottom of Xnormal, it's a dedicated application that really isn't so difficult.
    Also, if you have trouble with terms/buttons; ask us specifically and write down what they mean/do.
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    If you are using Blender I'd highly suggest looking into using Cycles for your renders. Cycles is built right into the latest versions of Blender, is fast, and can produce very good results. It's very easy to get it going in Blender.

For normal maps, to bake the high poly details to a texture to use on the low poly mesh, I use xNormal, a free program which produces good results. Export an Obj file of your low poly (already UV'd) mesh and another of the high poly you would like to bake the details from. You bring each into xNormal, check off the maps you would like to produce, set things like if you want the y flipped or not (you can always invert the green channel in photoshop if it is incorrect), and bake out the textures to whichever location you set. If you would like a more in depth look at xNormal, Eat3d has a free vid which visually goes into many other aspects.

Blender can be tricky with normal maps because depending on your viewport settings you may not see them. Applying them is pretty similar to applying any other texture except you specify it's a normal map (it should pretty easy to find info/training/tuts/vids on the subject).

If you have any questions or any technical terms/topics you would like info on or a explanation of then just message me. The hard part is done if you're already doing what you're doing; no need to be dependent on someone else for the other things :)

If you're already using ZBrush and your final goal is to get concept pieces/renders of your high poly work, then I'd suggest considering using ZBrush which has had its rendering overhauled in the past few updates. It'd be the fastest and most straight-forward way if you are just trying to produce rendered pieces (and not low-poly meshes to use in a game or something).