Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Tutorial] Reducing seams and texture repetition - Dissertation work

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
Hey everyone, as a part of my dissertation, I've been working for the past few weeks on an environment that you can find here.

My dissertation deals with reducing seams and texture repetition in lowpoly game environments and I have finally finished a tutorial that documents the methods that I used to make my previous environment. Here's the link to the site.

This tutorial is also a part of my project but to finish my project report succesfully, I will need to hear your feedback :) All I am asking you for is to have a look at it and give me your thoughts on the usability of the page and the quality of the methods that I had documented. Any other thoughts will also be really appreciated.

While it may be a bit basic at the moment, don't pull any punches. Your comments will help me improve it and I will be sure to continue working both on the tutorial and the environment even after my project is complete.

Thanks!

Replies

• lpf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lpf
    I've been a silent follower of the initial thread and I liked it.
    Thanks for the tutorial!
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, this should be really insightful. I'll read through it after work. :)
  • Tokusei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokusei polycounter lvl 10
    Cheers for this, really nice info here :)
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot guys :) I also wanted to mention that if you have any questions about the workfllow then don't hesitate to ask. I will include all questions along with the answers the answers at the end of the tut.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    this is awesome thanks!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    this is absolutely brilliant! thank you so much
  • nicafornica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicafornica polycounter lvl 7
    nice thank you very much tea and cigarettes
  • tyddynroger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tyddynroger polycounter lvl 6
    brilliant!! cheers!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    absolutely brilliant, that better get put on the wiki
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Amazing work/tutorial. Gonna bookmark this for sure. Keep it up man!
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome, this is bookmarked!
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome! Bookmarked! :)
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome :o

I learn a lot with your tutorial, but I tried to use vertex alpha painted in 3dsmax to make shading before exporting to UDK but when I'm in UDK I don't see the effects of my vertex color. Can you show a screen on how you use it ? I think you use a vertex color node but well I can't figure out how to connect it.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise

When you import your mesh into UDK, if it's already there and being overwritten, make sure you scroll to the bottom of the properties window and turn on "Replace Vertex Colors".
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies everyone :) I'm happy to hear that you found it useful!

Noise: Warren Marshal is right, you might need to tick the "Replace Vertex Colors" setting. However, to see vertex colour/alpha on your mesh you will also need to add a Vertex Color node to the material and multiply it either by your Diffuse or by the output of the Lerp node (assuming you are blending between two textures or more).

However, if you want to control the colour/brightness of the areas painted with Vertex Alpha then I suggest you use the Vertex Node as a mask (with the Lerp node) and use it to blend between your diffuse texture and the same diffuse multiplied by a Vector Parameter. This will give you more control over the result.

I will try to expand the Vertex Colour section and add screenshots of the material network.

I hope that helps :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Sweet stuff man! Great tut! I'm curious why you are rebuilding the light for this? And further, why you would use flat lightning for the grass? Just feels like unnecessary hasel?

Additionally, and i guess this actually would fit better in your preview thread, you could use that fancy b/w texture --> normalmap node in UDK for the grass to make it feel more separated from the dirt. Could be cool, and create allot of new problems :P
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    just curious does this vertex normal workflow help with normal map baking too?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is there a equivalent in maya to that vertex normal script? looks pretty useful but max makes me rage too much to use it for something like that.
  • Noise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Thank to you 2 for the help, will give a try.
  • hathol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hathol polycounter lvl 6
    nice work! thanks for the info. i usually work in unity.. but i've been itching to give udk a try, and these techniques seem transferable to some extent
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Nice job Tea. Nice read.

If this is a graded thing there's a small grammatical error after the 'adjusting texture repetition' image.

"To avoid that, you might want keeping the low-frequency details in your textures evenly distributed. Keep in mind that adjusting your textures is not an end all solution to the problem. In fact, reducing the contrast too much, or keeping the size of the details too even will result in textures that are either not realistic, or simply boring to look at."

Just a heads up if your professors are looking for anything to nitpick ;)

Good Job
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    passerby wrote: »
    is there a equivalent in maya to that vertex normal script? looks pretty useful but max makes me rage too much to use it for something like that.
    In other words, the same direction as the face normal would be facing. This is similar to the mig Normal Tools option "Fillet Outside".

From the wiki. MigNormalTools

Nice stuff tea. I tried out that worldAlignedTexture like day before yesterday and kept spitting out error for float4 to float3 (or something like that) will try again and hopefully it works. Also the tip about sloped edges is awesome along with the vertex ao stuff!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah thanks haiddasalami i wasnt sure exactly what the max script was doing so didn't know it was similar to a function in mig normal tools.
  • chrisavigni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
    Great tutorial. Thank you!
  • ikblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikblue polycounter lvl 8
    Great tutorial ! It is very clear and shows that you really know what you're talking about. Thanks for sharing
  • ZeroCartin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroCartin polycounter lvl 16
    Great! Im wondering how to implement some of the techniques on Unity, this will really come in handy I hope
  • Leodido
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Awesome collection of little tips. Thanks for sharing man!

Just one small tip: You can easily paint vertex colors using the vertex paint modifier. I find it much easier than assigning the colors by hand.

And it's also a bit weird to use vertex "alpha" for darkening corners. Vertex alpha is used for transparency on some engines/shaders.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Really well done and thorough! Thanks.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for all comments and sorry for the late reply.

sltrOlsson: Thanks! I'm using custom lighting to remove differences in shading between the terrain and meshes that intersect with it. If I were to blend in only the grass texture I would still end up with many seams. I will add some comparisons later on. Thanks for the mentioning that function. I'm not sure if it would work with my current setup, but I will be reworking this material to get some lighting in there.

onionhead_o: I haven't had a chance to use this method for HP, but it should work without any problems. However, as far as I'm aware your bevels will look tighter than they normally would. I can't find the post, but I remember EQ mentioning that before.

hathol, ZeroCartin:
    Thanks guys. Most of the tips should transfer quite easily. Making similar materials could be challenging but I know next to nothing about the material editor in Unity, so it's difficult for me to say.

Progg:
    Thanks for the heads up :) I completely missed that one. Should be fixed now.

haiddasalami:
    Thanks! Are you trying to plug Texture Parameters (or Texture Samples) into the WolrdAlignedTexture? If yes, then you have to use Texture Objects instead; I believe I had encountered the same error when I tried using Texture Parameters instead. I will try this out and add it to the tutorial.

chrisavigni, Leodido, ikblue, BlvdNights: Thanks a lot guys :) I'm happy to hear that you found it useful.

Minos: Thanks! I'm not a huge fan of the vertex paint modifier (I used to experience major slowdowns on 2012) and I find it quicker and more precise to operate on vert loops. It comes down to a personal preference of course, and I will have to add a mention of Vertex Paint modifier to the tut :)

Speaking of vertex alpha, thanks for pointing that out. Generally I rely on a single master material, so for the sake of keeping things nice and tidy I use vertex Alpha for AO/darkening and the RGB channels of Vertex Colour as masks for texture blending. Plus, by keeping AO in the Alpha I can make sure that I don't paint over it by mistake. By default Alpha is disabled in the Mesh Paint window.

But it is as you say; CryEngine for one uses Vertex Colour for AO and Alpha for masks/transparency. I should emphisize that it's up to people to choose the channel they want.