Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Arctic greenhouse

Replies

• saija
    Thank you! I can't wait for this to be over so I can make something new, something smaller and prettier. There are so many ideas in my head, while I really should concentrate on finishing this properly.

I managed to light up the plants now, some work better than others.
    6933629400_79b47f3eca_b.jpg
    6933633032_863063db8d_b.jpg
    7079713037_da468e2fa3_b.jpg
    7079718247_422461abaa_b.jpg
    6933644334_747ce417e4_b.jpg
    6933702216_09a3c9c393_b.jpg
    6933626012_7ef1d50b87_b.jpg
  • Razorb
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    This is coming a long really nice Saija! you are not too far off! just keep at it a bit longer, I will give you some proper critique when I see you next week. I think for one of your first environments its super ambitious, and I think you have done a good job!
  • pǝlloɹ┴
    These are all looking extremely good :) very nice work
  • michaelmilette
    I love the style of this scene it's like mirrors edge meets portal2 meets mass effect. really nice stuff. I agree with Razord will give you a full on crit next week looking forward to your work

subscribed to this thread :)
  • saija
    It is finally all done!
    Thank you so much to everyone for all the encouragement and advice.
    I can't wait to make something new soon :)
    I have learnt soo much during these 7 weeks, it's amazing. I feel much more confident in trying something on my own next time.
    I know there is a lot of little things I could have fixed and made better, but I think it's time to move on now that the project is over.

Hopefully I will soon have a new thread for my next project!

Cinematic:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MThJm9BhGyQ"]Arctic Greenhouse Cinematic - YouTube[/ame]

Walkthrough:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_jKn2IpYAY&feature=relmfu"]Arctic Greenhouse walkthrough - YouTube[/ame]

Walkthrough with design notes:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=999Hna1wrxA&feature=relmfu"]Arctic Greenhouse Design Principles - YouTube[/ame]

Final screenshots:

6963225914_35654841c6_b.jpg

7109298861_bc6ca8d781_b.jpg
    7109298375_601db33dd1_b.jpg

6963226014_cbb32d3275_b.jpg

7109298153_1415de59ff_b.jpg

7109297919_a8f0f6cac0_b.jpg

7109297753_b5e30cccf6_b.jpg

6963224498_7785ae4699_b.jpg

7109297363_4fca2cf518_b.jpg
  • angieb1970
    Offline / Send Message
    angieb1970 polycounter lvl 10
    :) Loving it.
    You've taken your initial concept and visualized it creatively to make this beautiful and believable environment. From the start, you produced a library of clean meshes that are efficiently UV mapped with hand painted textures and it's great to see them in the final level, where you've worked with light and colour to add ambience and game play to the scene.
    You've progressed so much technically during this project. Can't wait to see what you do next.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I really like the concept and you have some really nice props and lots of cool foliage. However I feel like the biggest issue here is composition, it feels like it's hard to get a nice angle for the shots anywhere in there. It's just too crowded. You don't really have a central piece from every angle that the eyes get lead to.

The first shot is the best I think. It shows most of the Greenhouse and lots of detail as well. The only problem is a central piece, or something that is visually more outstanding than the other stuff and something that differentiates the foreground from the background. You have the first floor, then at the stairways you might have wanted to smack another color on the wall there so that you get a sense that that is another area.

Lots of issues with scale that just doesn't feel right, like the angle of the stairs you've got, even though it might work in real-life it wouldn't feel natural in a game since it's so steep. You feel like you're walking off a cliff.

Not a lot that you can do right now about it though. I do feel like you have a really nice sense of style, a good feel for color and design. You just need to push it more on the composition side of things as well as go even deeper technically. I say this because you seem to have lots of seams and lightmap artifacts in there as well.

It is without a doubt a humongous project and you've done really well, but next time maybe try to take it down a notch in scope and make sure you nail it. Spot the problem-areas early and solve them.

Either way, great work so far! And it's been a really nice experience to see you go through all this :) Good work!
  • saija
    Thank you very much for the feedback :)

I totally agree, I need to create something smaller now so I can get the basics right and really give more love to each prop. I did feel that I was in a constant rush and panic that I might have unfinished areas in the final hand in, so I was trying to just get all the vital assets in as quickly as I could. This was of course a little problematic when I realised how many I needed :D
    That is probably the biggest thing I learnt while doing this. Now I have a much better idea of how much can I realistically make in a limited space of time.
    I can't wait to make something where I don't have to worry about kismet and I can just concentrate on the visuals.

And techically I still have loads of learning to do! I think it will still take quite a while until I can really start to utilise all the amazing hidden features in maya and udk.