Home General Discussion

Tropes in Videogames

Replies

• Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Ninjas wrote: »
    If I had to try to add something actually productive to this discussion, it would be this:

Outside of obviously negative things like stereotypes that women are just terrible at math, physically inept, etc, I don't feel qualified to judge much.

For example, I'm sure there are plenty of large breasted, skinny females that are perfectly fine with those features being depicted as optimal. It seems largely a debate of women vs. women about what it means to be a woman, and so it doesn't have much to do with me.

While I don't want to make art that hurts people's feelings, it seems kind of unavoidable to some extent. I would like to be inclusive and considerate, for no other reason than I don't want to be an asshole, but in the case where I really like some idea that some people find hurtful, I will just have to weigh the merits and try to make a choice I can live with.

I have a hard enough time just dealing with what it means to be me, and what the best me would be like to care about trying to be super manly, and I care even less about women trying to define what's female.

Seems like a good way to go about it, I mean, I can't imagine PETA or any Animal Rights activist being big fans of Overgrowth :P
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a reminder

This is a public forum and some of these recent posts are making some of you guys look REALLY bad. Think before you post as there are plenty of potential employers or current employers that are on these forums.

Just a reminder
  • Acid_Wire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DKK wrote: »
    Do you read your posts before you post them? you're not ready to put on your conspiracy theory hat as far as government action is concerned, but you are ready to make the assumption that everyone who disagrees with you might have the desire to have you jailed. You seem to have some kind of paranoid complex about all of this. And FYI as far as a moral debate about media presentations of skewed views of a group of people, then yes I think it's fair to try and transform the views of those who disagree, because they're clearly missing something.

You realise that in your attempt to belittle me and sound like a dick in the process, you just admitted that you think it's fine to attempt to force people to change their opinions?

You can't claim intellectual high ground while wanting to silence dissent and "correct" the views of others.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Acid_Wire wrote: »
    you just admitted that you think it's fine to attempt to force people to change their opinions?

The verb he used was "transform", not "force" -- why not substitute some other random verb instead? Ride? Jump? Cook?

Seriously, I would take a moment to reflect on why you can't read what people actually write.
  • Acid_Wire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas wrote: »
    The verb he used was "transform", not "force" -- why not substitute some other random verb instead? Ride? Jump? Cook?

Seriously, I would take a moment to reflect on why you can't read what people actually write.

There wouldn't be any point in disagreeing with me if we weren't talking about force, presumably legislation-based or otherwise. I've stated that organic shifts and such obviously do not violate any liberties, and neither does drawing attention to social issues. However, the regulation of media content is another story (which is what I've been trying to say).
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    No idea why you would attack me for that one man. i was just pointing out that it happens. that it happens less is also true, but the fact that it happens at all on either side is just as bad.

Also want to add that it is theorized that rape happens to Males almost as often or the same as it happens to the female gender.

Two main reasons the number is not higher or equal.

1) Officials dismiss the premise since man are strong and should be able to get away without getting raped. How can anyone force a Male to get raped mentality...

2) Men do not report it since it holds a high degree of shame.

Just wanted to point out that numbers do not really show the whole story when it comes to this topic.

Alright continue...

I think this conversation as a whole is valid and should be talked about. I give Anita props for making this argument present for everyone to see. I may not like how it was done, but I agree with the underlining commentary without the emotional garbage being thrown about.

Conversation among ourselves will only result in positive results.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Acid_Wire wrote: »
    There wouldn't be any point in disagreeing with me if we weren't talking about force

Well, he could try to convince you that you're mistaken using words? Maybe he just likes talking/typing? It's weird to think you know why he does what he does without asking him.

I was mostly responding to people in this thread because I thought it was funny.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
This discussion has been closed.