Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Request for advice and opinions for a new member ! :p

hello,

I come quickly, I am Christian Le Roux, a student at LISAA, Paris, in beautiful area that is the video game.

I speak very little English, I'm sorry, I would provide effort!

It's been a while since I come on this forum, I decided today to pick up the critics but also the advice of those here present, I have a hard time advancing in texture, and I would like your opinion on my work that a lot more, I'm pretty happy with the current result (this is not done, I just started), although it is not super great, I would like some advice, if possible, all is welcome .

Thanking you in advance,
Thank you for welcome home, great polygons!

Here is my reference for this work :

epee-1-main-blackwing-descent-02.jpg

This is my 3d model :

christianlerouxhelppoly.png

Again thank you !

Replies

• Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthy9986 polycounter lvl 7
    Bonjour Gistold!

Could you please post a wireframe shot and your texture maps?

From what you have so far it looks like you could darken up the dark spots more and highlight the edges more.

You have a few stray lines in your diffuse that do not seem to make sense. Also your emissive(glow) map does not seem to be doing exactly what you want it to.

Hope that helps :)
  • Gistold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, Anthy9986!

Thank you for your reply,

For the moment there is no map to tell the truth, it is only through the Polypaint zbrush, my UV are made ​​but I is not yet implemented the Polypaint to paint the UV.

Darken the dark spots? ie the cavity? (I tried more rendendre somble the cavity to resortir) or it is something else?

This is the wireframe:

I have great difficulty in determining the lines lost, although I think some see, I must missed a lot, I will correct, at least try!

thank you Anthy ! :D
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Id suggest taking a closer look at your reference, for instance the handle seems to be a brownish color in the reference but on your model it's still a grey green color. Also you're missing a bit of contrast. The blade is much brighter in the reference.

I know the purple color is really from the lighting but since I'm assuming your final model will be diffuse only you may want to put some of that in your diffuse map anyway. (just depends on the style you're going for.)
  • Gistold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, artquest!

thank you for the reply, I understand, yes, I took note of that, I intend to try to get a good result without normal map, view my main interest right now is to lead me to make textures (for I 'm a huge impact not know how good texture)!

I plan on using a diffuse and a emmisive then finish with a very slight specular, it's a good idea or I lose?

Anyway, thank you for your reply!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    You did a good job capturing the forms of the concept.

Polypaint is not a particularly functional tool for painting diffuse only textures. Unwrap it and paint it in photoshop or bodypaint or something with better painting/display tools -- use polypaint when you're more advanced, or for quick mockups.

Texturing is about raw painting skill, not a bag of tricks!
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthy9986 polycounter lvl 7
    I would suggest going back to your model and cutting out the useless geometry then unwrapping it and painting it in photoshop. Polypaint is nice to use but is kind of overkill for what you are trying to achieve. I personally would go with a diffuse texture and emissive map that way you can easily achieve the color variations with a simple hue shift of the emissive map.

You can save the painting you have done so far if you want by projecting it onto your new low poly.

[Gistold: Darken the dark spots? ie the cavity? (I tried more rendendre somble the cavity to resortir) or it is something else?]

I meant the dark areas on the sword are not dark enough currently (Gaurd, and Pommel)
    Sorry I was trying to think of the best way to say it and it just came out even more confusing.
  • Gistold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi, Anthy!

Thank you for your reply, I will consider your advice and rework my bashmesh, I'll do the UV clean and paint directly on Photoshop, I'll post the results !

I put it !