Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Jacen Chio

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Jacen polycounter lvl 6
Starting today I decided to get back into pencil sketching and bought a sketchbook and some pencils.

This is my first proper drawing in at least five years and also the first time I have used a charcoal pencil.
IMG_4745.jpg
Now that I finished it all I can see is the problem with the shape of the left side of his head.

This sketchbook was made so that I may get better, so please post any comments/criticism as you see fit.

Also, if any one could point me to any useful learning resources that would be great.

Replies

• gillmeister74
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gillmeister74 polycounter lvl 7
    hey man, its good that you are getting back into drawing after five years! One thing I can say is (and something that you noticed) is that the face is a little lob sided and jenson (I think thats his name) looks a little chubby in the pic. Don't be afraid to do a lot of rough construction lines before laying done the final line art.
    One thing people always tell me is to establish the light source in your picture then go about laying in your shadows and highlights. In you drawing everything is a bit flat minus the hair. Again looking at good reference really helps you here.
    Now when it comes to shading with charcoal you could do an additive or subtractive technique. The subtractive Technique is when you lay down a base shade then you extract mid tones and highlights with the eraser forming your image from the background, of course you go back and add shadows. The additive technique is more common where you add the shadows and mid tones from the white of the paper yadda yadda yadda.

Hope this helps! Keep em coming dude, can't wait to see more.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I'll definitely second the first part of what was said above. Don't be afraid to totally mess around with light, really lose lines to get your forms and composition down in your noggin before you jump into the details and such. With that one it looks like your lines were pretty much on the paper and then you rolled with them, takes a lot of time and a lot of knowledge to be able to have each stroke actually be exactly what you need with no need for adjustments. :)
  • Jacen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacen polycounter lvl 6
    I recently drew this.

silent_movie_villain_heavy_by_jacen_c-d4tiiia.jpg
    "I tie you to rail road track now. HA HA HA!"

I realize his right shoulder is shorter than his left.
  • Jacen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacen polycounter lvl 6
    I recently watched all of Red Dwarf for the first time and decided that the original Holly was my favorite character so I just had to make this.

holly_by_jacen_c-d4tl1e3.jpg
  • gillmeister74
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gillmeister74 polycounter lvl 7
    Wow dude this is a pretty big leap from your previous posts! The lighting is really nicely done, if you throw in some blue and red values that will make this guy look even better. Right now he is a tad yellow, so adding blue for the shadows in his forehead wrinkles and a bit of red on his left cheek will go along way.
  • Jacen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacen polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks, I'll try that out.
  • Jacen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacen polycounter lvl 6
    Made a few changes.

holly_by_jacen_c-d4tl1e3.jpg