Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space Rifle (WiP)

DAY 1
so. its a space gun. its a wip. obviously i havent cleaned it up yet. planning to do low poly then back OA and normals with a higher poly version. the one with the details added on and etc. this goes with my space dude whom i also havent modelled yet.

the gun works on principles of coil guns. obviously the coil that goes at the front isnt done yet. will explain that when i actually model it. or not. no one cares about science.

6958814831_89c399131d_b.jpg

oh. yeah. how does one make the pic prev smaller. not gigantic

PS:
6958969057_344f6afe96_z.jpg
Here is the concept i am working from. the exact mechanics will be better explained once i finish the model. the bayonet is optional

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty simple at the moment, not much to critique here.

Do you have any references that your working from or inspiration?
    the gun works on principles of coil guns. obviously the coil that goes at the front isnt done yet. will explain that when i actually model it. or not. no one cares about science.

Are you serious? You do realize that this is a forum filled with nerds right? I'm sure many people here are familiar with how gauss guns work.

The image size is the exact size that you uploaded. To make the pic smaller, upload a smaller image.

Good luck!
  • pyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is merely a thread to keep my wips on so people could critique me more thoroughly once i start to put more on.
    Are you serious? You do realize that this is a forum filled with nerds right? I'm sure many people here are familiar with how gauss guns work.
    well. sure. i mean people know how shit works. i just thought people might not be that much interested in details. like where the capacitors are and all that. at any rate, i have posted the pic i am working from. the hind part is where all the power supply and ammo supply is managed, the actual coils are housed at the front

also. thanks for posting.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any progress updates?
  • pyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    6963792203_8ae7c55610_b.jpg

well here is the rail/coil part without the dust cover/handguard. basically 4 coil units arrange themselves to create one whole coil barrel unit. (no idea if this even works. do projectiles have to move inside through the coil?) the barrel is essentially square cos the projectile itself will be a metal cube. since there is no need for aerodynamics in space. or so i think.

PS:
    6817711412_a98078ec27_b.jpg
    here it is with the handguard.

PPS:
    some little detailing and AO baking. just a little test.
    6818027444_6b24d9763d_z.jpg
  • Malarchy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    me gusta. BUT it almost seems to me like the handle is too high. while a handle in the centered far rear of the gun would be ideal for holding large weapons that shoot from the hip, like a grenade launcher or Gatling gun, to put a scope on something like that would mean that you have to angle the arm you're holding that handle with; at very high, odd and sharp angle. Seems like it would be uncomfortable to aim through the scope.
  • pyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its almost the same height as the TDI kriss. also keep in mind that there is no butt to this since there is next to no recoil so you dont need to hold it close to your body at all for support.
    kriss4.jpg
    this seems rather comfortable.
  • Malarchy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but a butt isnt just for bracing against the recoil, but also for stability as you aim
  • pyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm. so should i put an attachable butt then?
  • Malarchy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sure, it could either be completely detachable or fold up on the side, and since there's little to no recoil, the butt doesn't need to be too bulky
  • pyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but i like big butts
  • Psionic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psionic polycounter lvl 18
    ...and I can not lie, You other brothers can't deny...etc

Sorry couldn't resist ;-)

Gun is coming along nicely, look forward to seeing some more details/textures
  • pyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PROGRESS REPORT
    ya, i havent given up on this. i just had to make another model for uni and that was rathe problematic but solved nonetheless and now i am back on the gun.

took the last 3 days to wrap the gun model.
    7128505951_fef99e0ba6_c.jpg
    7128522373_22e008f230_z.jpg

there were a bit more pieces to uv wrap than i expected....