Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chinatown UDK environment WIP

Replies

• jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys I will be using the color lookup table and messing with the paneling on my buildings. I will also try the magnetic field idea and those should be in the shots I post tonight
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I tried the color lookup table and plugged it into udk but it doesnt seem to be working in the video the guy says to enable it but in october build there is no enable checkbox?
    I also have a post processing chain do I plug the color lookup table into the chain or world properties?

any ideas?
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Hey, you need to assign it in the world properties of the map and if you're using a post process chain, tick use world properties for the Uberpostprocess. Awesome stuff btw!
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks I will try that out well here is my newest lighting and comp I will also have a paintover done tonight on how I want to finish this scene off.JakeVirginia_final1.jpg
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the blockout I have been working on to finish the rest of the scenefinal.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome work, looking really good so far. I did some quick lighting tests in photoshop.
    I guess it depends on how you want the scene to look in the end but it might be useful? :) I did it for funsies anyways.

Still trying to go for that golden hour kind-of-feel. Orange at the top of the buildings while going down into a cooler bluish shadows.

Not sure if it's working or not, I kinda like the original as well I feel like you need some more color opposites in there though.

lighting_paintover.jpg
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Chris be right. You needz a couple moar cools.
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the paintover Im digging the combined colors I will go for that in my next lighting pass! I think the blues will bring out the hoverpads on the truck too.
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    This has come a really long way in dev. Super cool work m8, cheers!! I can't wait to see the final product.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I am really liking the background depth thats been added in the last update. This is going to be a stellar piece when its done.

(except those trash bags need some refrence love :P)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe look up the Color-Grading stuff (Color LookUp-Tables) in UDK and see if you can do stuff like that to help with the final post-processing pass. I've seen the technique used in a lot of modern games and it's a really good way to handle the colorgrading post-processing.
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,

Its been awhile since I posted an update so here is what I've been up to. Basically just added more buildings all I have left is the skyscrapers. After I make those I will be adding a few neon signs and some sneakers hanging from the wires and some clothes hanging off the wires as well. also I will be fixing the garbage bags.

In this update I did figure out the color lookup table. So I have been messing with that It is still a little purple so I am gonna try and get blue instead like you said chris.

Thanks again for all the critiques!

final.jpg
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So all the props are pretty much done except for the garbage bag and a few pipes here or there.
    I am now going to fix a few textures and start my third lighting pass. here is where its at:
    final.jpg
  • Ex-Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    Looking good, a few things that jumps out for me:

- The glass on the hover cart looks overly bright and smashed up, is there no cubemap reflection on it? Should be more subtle.

- The garbage bags in the middle of the road seem out of place.

- You have an arrow pointing in one direction yet the cart is heading the other way.

- The skyscrapers are great additions but I feel they are over complicated in their design. The ground floor buildings are interesting and busy enough that it would be better contrast to have the skyscraper sleeker and slimmer. Currently you've lost that nice 'wedge' shaped negative space of the sky and buildings.

- The cart could be angled a little bit so it's less perfect in it's placement

- Subtle placement of another cart right in the background will give some nice repetition and draw the eye back to indicate depth to the scene.

- I would do two different lighting scenarios, day and night. Having different cameras angles and prop placement to make them unique.
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking nice, love the props.

Can i asked what a tileshot is. I havnt seen that term before
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Under UDK if you use the tileshot command with a x and y tiles number (tileshot 8 8 for example) it'll render that many tiles at the viewport size and stitch them into a single bitmap meaning you can get huge images.

8 8 at 1280x720 = 10240x5760

If you have any text on screen though it'll be in every single tile so make sure you have no warnings/etc
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walkonsky polycounter lvl 11
    i think this is getting better and better.
    but two things that caught my eye:
    you adapted chris' suggestions of more blue-ish shadows, but the are very purple right now. (for example the 'white' poster on the left.) overall the scene looks too yellow/red to me.
    the other thing: i think the composition was much better in the first blockout you posted that had skyscrapers in the background. having the one on the left appear farther away / smaller than the one on the right gave the image kind of a 'direction' and nicely supported the course of the street.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    The first thing i saw was the seam on the ground(the road). Not sure if anyone else had caught that but it's the first thing that i saw.

The vert blending texture on the buildings looks pretty bad. It looks like oatmeal and not dirt. I would say not to do such a contrasty texture for the vert blending on the buildings.

I would also kill those airplanes. The airplanes place it in modern day, even maybe 20-30 years older. Give it even more story by making some cool low rez hover cars for the background.

You probably need a couple more sci fi props as well. Maybe a sci fi trash can/compactor or something. So far you just have the car and air conditioner. Adding more sci fi pieces would really help solidify the world and the visual language within it. Compositionally it's very heavy on the right side. I think making some sci fi prop for the bottom left of the composition would work nicely.

Love the air conditioner and the vehicle is nice. Keep at it man this is looking good.
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the critiques!
    -the things I am planning on fixing first are the garbage bags and road texture Im changing it to be just solid asphalt.
    -the vert blending on the building is moss I think I will be switching it to rust since its just not working out.
    -Wester I think the purple you are seeing is a purple light I forgot to take out so I will do that, oh and the airplanes are actually proxy birds I like the futuristic cars too i will see what I can do as far as more technological things I was thinking a vending machine or dumpster so you will be seeing some of those ideas soon.
    -EXray what do you mean about the wedge in the sky? I will try those composition ideas also.
  • Ex-Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    -EXray what do you mean about the wedge in the sky? I will try those composition ideas also.

The triangular shape of the sky created by the silhouettes of your ground floor buildings. I've mocked up what I mean and also push the background elements back so there's more separation between this and your mid and foreground elements. Wester's right in that something on the left foreground will improve the composition.

A vending machine would be cool and also an additional light source if you need it as well.

jk.jpg
  • danielguti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danielguti polycounter lvl 9
    very nice i love it!
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome ideas Ex-Ray I will be trying that out for sure I really like how the buildings in the background look and the vending machine will frame the shot nicely
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    wow amazing! cool idea
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    It is really looking good man. Keep it up!!
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how should I go about getting the blue gradient as it goes farther back? maybe with the fog or try using lights or just do it in photoshop? Thoughts?
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    By the looks of it, you'd be best having a combination of a grey/blue Skybox, changing your Environment Colour to Blue [View > World Properties > Lightmass > Environment Colour] and altering your fog to a more of a neutral grey.

The Environment Colour should change the hue of your shadows to better contrast the warm lighting.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    how should I go about getting the blue gradient as it goes farther back? maybe with the fog or try using lights or just do it in photoshop? Thoughts?

You can get this with a post process. Dave Prout goes over this here:

http://www.daveprout.com/hack-this/2010/1/18/material-post-effects-lab-distance-color-blending.html
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    the chinese words on the AC is flipped upside down. Not a biggy, just thought you should no haha, Im sure most ppl cant read chinese.
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks a lot for all the help with the post processing I still have to look at your link salami. I added a few more props and decals this time and fixed the asphalt texture. There is still a few texture and decal fixes but All the models are finished except the garbage bag. To me the scene looks a little too crowded now but let me know!

onionhead: haha yeah I know i still have to fix that xD

chinatown.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look at that you sexy beast you! :D You've come a long way! Looks great :D Love it!
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    This is absolutely incredible and so very inspiring! Grea job!
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The scene is too crowded, my arse. It looks wonderful!
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for all your help and critiques guys I'm glad you like it there is still some minor fixes and then this scene is done! Stay tuned for the final update this week:D
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Not feeling that wall texture on the bottom right building!
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha hey I said minor fixes;)
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    Wow! This really is looking epic!! I can't wait to see a sweet breakdown for this!
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Loving the attention to detail in this scene mate! Great work! Subscribed!
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Excellent stuff. I would just like to see a bit more contrast (quick thing with UDK post effects). My personal preference though.
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys so Here is the final shot let me know what you think Enjoy!
    Breakdown coming soon!
    Changes:
    fixed metal texture on buildings
    added road lines
    fixed sky
    added antennas to the back buildings
    added birds
    final_Chinatown.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    x-x-everywhere-meme-generator-detail-detail-everywhere-b773ef.jpg

Awesome work my friend! You really pulled through and now look at ya! Banner-worthy for sure! Great work!
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    What about those rubbish bags!
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Chris!
    Fomori: yeah I tried six different zbrush bakes and they all looked bad probably because of low texture rez I think Im going to end up just taking the ones on the corner out.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Jake you kicked ass on this man. This looks really really great!

I think you could do something else with the windshield on that vehicle. Make it tinted with high reflection, or something. It's seeming very blown out and distracting me from the rest of it.

I would also duplicate it and make a second vehicle but further back in the scene. To imply that this isnt a one of a kind vehicle and it would lend to the story you're trying to tell.
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Wester! Definately agree with the windshield I will mess with the reflectivity and spec. There also is another vehicle in the background but its covered by dust going through that intersection I can just bring the dust down.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8