Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] Hammer, zeroSlave

Howdy, polycount. Ima try my hand at some cool weapons. Big fan of the first Darksiders and this has sparked a bit of imagination in me. I did a few rough sketches/silhouettes yesterday. I think I'm going to try for a cool hammer. Either Maker or Crow. Although, I did like how the little sketch for the crow mace (J or K) turned out.
conceptgj.jpg

Thanks for looking, and let me know what you think. Off to doodle some more before I make a final decision. :poly121:

Replies

• OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    These are really neat! Are you going to sketch more detailed crow versions? Right now it looks like you've got maker concepts on the left and angel concepts on the right.
  • ageless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice try with shapes.
  • zeroSlave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments!

OrganizedChaos, I probably will doodle some more sketches on paper as it's just more comfortable for me than in photoshop. I did do a quick crow skull to get some style and shape from, though.

ageless, Thank you. I'm really not a concept artist... not really an artist at all! So I'm just trying to learn some of the basics from the wizzards around here and I figure, what better way to learn a skill than jump in and watch the pros. I feel more comfortable throwing down some Java. :P

Here is a quick Zbrush sculpt and a small sketch from my pad. If I'm gonna make something for the Crow Temple, I figured I'd need a crow skull. I'm not happy with the beak and jaw. I'm gonna redo it but I thought I'd show it. Trying to give it some character and I assume there are some demon crows out there... Need to go more subtle, though, me thinks.

concept2oh.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)
  • Azimn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know you are working on the crow theme but I think the design with the cross is really cool. It has a rock and roll 80's death metal vibe I have been getting from a lot of the Darksiders designs. Like a Megadeath meets motley crue album cover.
    BTW I really like the skull!
  • zeroSlave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Azimn! I see that metal vibe you are talking about. It would be fun, but I think crosses are kind of frowned on in the design. I think that design would look decent as a staff, though.

I also liked the idea of the last one of the 8 armed skeleton holding blades in each hand making up the blade, but wasn't quite feeling it. I also don't want to get crazy with fine detail since the final diffuse is supposed to be 512^2

Here are some more doodles. I think a crow mace will be kind of tough to do since I feel the mace should be blunt and rather geometric, and when I think of a crow, I don't get that feeling. Gonna try some Maker doodles.
    concept3.jpg
    Sorry for the quality. I'm grabbing shots with my phone.

Also, here is a retopo of a crow skull I did to play around with in Max with some primitives:
    skull2e.png

Thanks for looking!
  • Neongoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with what you're saying about the geometric vs organic. Maybe go with a more organic mace shape to start with? Practically anything constitutes a bludgeoning object right!? How about using some other bone shapes? OR FEET!?
  • Tomahawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that skull has so much awesome keep us up to date
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love that last hammer design, looks like a beast of a weapon :)
  • zeroSlave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, peoples!
    Neongoat, thanks for the input! It got me thinking a little outside the box. I have a crow foot in my next concept, but Im gonna switch it up a bit. I've got the idea to have the foot coming out kind of adjacent to the back skulls while holding a crystal or some type of stone with runes on it... or some such.

Im gonna do a base mesh, and send it into Zbrush for some more concepting I think.
    concept3ae.jpg

Thanks for looking!
  • zeroSlave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update on the 3D mockup. Gonna tweak it a bit and then retopo for a lowpoly then into Zbrush.
    concept4.jpg

Thanks for looking!
  • zeroSlave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, here is an early morning update. I've already got the low poly done (came out to 1666 polys >: ), and it's unwrapped. Gonna do some more detail work, then I'm gonna paint it. I'm not sure whether to call it a mace or a hammer... I'm thinking it's leaning towards a mace?... that way I can get to work on a Maker Hammer :) I've got an idea floating around in my brains. Thanks for looking!
    sculpt1.jpg
  • Valerien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's starting to look good, but its lines lack sharpness compared to Vigil's guys work. On their livestream, one of their artists showed an interesting methode : using 3ds max nurbs subdiv in the edit poly along with smoothing groups.
  • zeroSlave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for replying! I think I see what you are saying about the sharpness but I'm not sure how nurms would fix this. Could someone possibly explain? I'd really appreciate it.

I know that what I've got doesn't really fit the style geometrically and I'm not super happy with it, but I'm just gonna use this as a stepping stone and hash out some more ideas.

I couldn't resist this after a quick polypaint :D
    render4e.jpg

Any input is more than welcome. Especially negative input. I wanna learn to be better, damn it! Thanks for reading and looking!
  • zeroSlave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some more doodles playing around with a Crow Temple hammer.
    conceptq.jpg

And here is the last drawing with some color on it.
    conceptpaintedl.jpg
    Thanks for looking.
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the silhouette you have on the zbrush sculpt. I think the elements within it need to be a bit more defined (you sculpted it like it's fur or hair, whereas I would have interpreted those areas as spiky bone + fleshy stuff).
  • zeroSlave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comment. I liked the silhouette, but you got it, the innards don't really fit to well. And over all, I don't think the design is very "Darksiders II Crow Temple" style. That's kind of why I'm rehashing the ideas on paper. And again, thanks for the reply!