Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Computer Module Thingy

switz
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
switz polycounter lvl 10
So starting with a fantastic tutorial on 3dmotive, I've got the highpoly 3d bust looking pretty close to the concept and am now working on the low poly version. It's 850 tris right now. Also did a quick automatic uv unwrap to test the normals bake and found a few funky edges - I'll fix those soon and start moving onto the texturing phase - c&c appreciated!

CK8qS.jpg
GUnXQ.jpg

Replies

• pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    I question the ergonomics of the unit, due to the way the base sticks out. Looks like it would be difficult to stand at and operate. It also seems visually unbalanced for the same reason. The top sticks out the back, and the bottom out the front. Now, in reality, this would work great if the base was weighted properly, but visually it still looks like it would be more prone to tipping over.

If it's bolted to the floor, maybe all of my points are moot. But does it LOOK like it's bolted to the floor? I'd say not really. There are bolt/screw heads there, but they look a bit small, and don't necessarily indicate an anchor point.

My 2cents.

Hipoly modeling is looking pretty solid, but there are some really fine lines in a couple places that will probably get lost in the final product.
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with bug. It looks unstable because you have the base sticking out at the front instead of to the sides and back. Try changing the base around.

Im also curious as to what that joystick looking thing is on top. Is it actually a joystick? And is there a keyboard?

If you've got a concept or something you can post along with it that would be great.

Aside from the crits, i really do like the direction this is going. Keep us updated
  • switz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    @ pseudoBug - Now that you mention it, it really doesn't make sense.. I'll get on that

@ Dark - Yeah that's supposed to be a joystick but I think I may have to go back and soften up the outer rubber shield and maybe offset the stick a bit as well. And instead of a keyboard there would be a second screen on the lower portion, something that would display raw data etc while the main screen gives you more visual information.

Appreciate the tips fellas, I'll be sure to update my progress.
  • switz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    Added some detail to the low poly and shifted some proportions to appear more plausible
    a468p.jpg
  • switz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    First pass with the normal map almost done.. Having a tough time keeping the normals looking right (without pinching and weirdness) - had to up the polycount to 2.2k tris. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems normal maps really hate being projected on surfaces with non-continuous edge loops, which sucks because I have to keep splitting.. If anyone knows a good way to deal with this let me know!

pO2Kr.jpg
  • switz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    Getting close to finishing the diff,spec and norm maps. Not sure what other details I should add to the diffuse though.. I like Mass Effect 3's approach - so that's kind of what I'm aiming for.

pcPEb.jpg
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Nice bake, but I think 2048 is a bit overkill.

Also, have you considered putting a bit of colour into certain parts of the texture? Maybe a dark base, with some kind of dark red? Perhaps going up those square sections on the bottom going up.
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd look into fixing specular error going on below the joystick. It's one of the main focal points.

Also, there seems to be a super fine line in your normal that's just coming across as errors rather than enhancing the look.

The placement of grime seems a little bit out of place. I'd imagine that the place closest to the feet would collect the most. Seems like there should also be some on the pad itself from repeated use. Maybe on the sides where a cleaning would be more likely to miss? All depends on the look you're going for, and the environment it's placed in, but it seems as though there is more up top near the monitor than there is down below.

1EwSr.jpg

Keep goin' :thumbup:
  • switz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    @PogoP: Thanks! and yeah I'm going to shrink it to 1024 once I'm finished.

@pseudo: I appreciate the input - I'm having a hard time figuring out the best approach with this kind of stuff. In that shot I used a mix of hard/soft edges to keep the normals of the keyboard looking flat and consistent. But then I get weird edges like that.

I also remember hearing that you're not supposed to use smoothing groups anymore - if that's true then how else would you get flat parts on the normal map?

I went back to my model and detached the joystick from the mesh, simplified the keyboard and just floated the joystick over the surface. Originally I was really trying to keep all the geometry connected but with this approach I fixed the lighting issues and even cut out a few polys. Is this bad practice?

3pfDv.jpg
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    PogoP wrote: »
    Nice bake, but I think 2048 is a bit overkill.

Also, have you considered putting a bit of colour into certain parts of the texture? Maybe a dark base, with some kind of dark red? Perhaps going up those square sections on the bottom going up.

Definitely agree with this. It needs some sort of color to accentuate the shape of the model.

The pyrmaidal shape where the joystick connects seems off to me. Maybe take a look at gear shifts on cars.

IMG_4674-585x390.jpg
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smoothing groups are definitely ok to use. Floating geometry is also acceptable in many engines and situations as far as I know. I'm still too much of a noob to know when or where myself. There are some good threads floating around that discuss both issues. Don't have any links for you, unfortunately.