Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M4

Yesmaam
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Yesmaam polycounter lvl 10
Hello Polycount!
I have been wandering the forum for quite some time and thought it was time for me to post something. This is a M4 i have been working on for some time and it's supposed to be a portfolio piece and it's supposed to be used in an fps game.

High
fps_hihg.jpg
high_back.jpg
high_side.jpg

Low ( 10025 tris ) is it low enough? and should i try to rearrange the tris?

fps_low.jpg
low_back.jpg
low_side.jpg
wire.jpg

Any comments or critic would be appreciated :)

Replies

• megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    I think 10K is enough.
    Don't forget to put your smoothing groups for baking! Otherwise, you'll have bad surprises. :)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    im wondering.. if you remove the scope and ironsight from the low poly, how drastically does the tri count drop. youve got way too many polygons on the scope, grip (not the attached one but the one that is part of the body), and muzzle flash hider. id say it could still be reduced quite a bit. probably down to 7-8k.. if not less.
  • RedRogueXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 16
    - HP Edges are too hard/sharp
    - Picatinny optic mounting rails are proportioned wrong, and only the top half is cut out.
    - Seems along the vert grip and pistol grip (intentional?)
    - Something odd about the charging handle, but then again there are tons of after market parts so idk.
    - For LP cut down on the muzzle break, grip, the optic has much more visibility so leave it.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Kul att du kommer o leker med oss Oscar! ;)

Saying that all the edges is to sharp is wrong. I would say most of the edges on the smaller details, like the handles stripes, the little buttons and screws and what not on the sight is to small and so on. A good rule of thumb is, if it starts to pixelate and get jagged in the viewport, it's to small. Now this is a first person gun so that's your starting point.

Think about how the camera will capture this. The stock won't be visible until reload or similar and the barrel will always be far away. Think about were to put them good old details with that in mind. Talking about the LP ofc..

Really great to see some new stuff from you! How's everything going? :)
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    the model looks great, but the renders are doing it a big disservice, there's too little contrast and no highlights to give a sense of the detail, I'd try and get a better shader / lighting setup together to show your work off better
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mgoblue412 polycounter lvl 5
    I think you could cut down some tris if you make the rails that your scope and front grip are one. Also I think you can normal the "ribs" that are on the main grip of the gun.
  • Yesmaam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    Hello and thanks for the feedback:)

@Oniram
    without the scope and irongsight it comes down to 5631 tris

@RedRogueXIII
    -I'm working on loosen up some of the supporting edges on the highpoly.
    -As for the rails i have changed so only the top part is cut out, have not looked in on the proportions of the rails yet
    -the seams has been fixed.

@mr_ace
    the render setup for the moment is non existing it is only screen grabs from maya at the moment.

@Mgoblue412
    im sorry but i did not understand what part you meant with "I think you could cut down some tris if you make the rails that your scope and front grip are one" and regarding the "ribs" I would like to keep them since they add to the silhouette and I think it is quite characteristic to the grip.

@sltrOlsson
    haha i thought It was time for me to come out of my shell^^ Otherwise everything is moving on nicely. I will keep that rule of thumb in mind when i rework the high poly.

as for the lowpoly i have reduced the grip but kept the tris on the scope since it will be visible at all times.
    the only thing is that I'm not sure of is the muzzle i reduced it in two different versions and maybe you can tell me which will work best? or if i should rework it in another way.

Muzzle.jpg

fps_high2.jpg

low2.jpg

the low poly is now down to 9265 tris
  • n88tr
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I think that it would be a good call cutting that flash muscle down like that last one and just make the wholes 100% black in the texture. It's something that wouldn't be visible anyhow.

As for renders i would set up a quick three point light setup, google it, and use a blinn with a broad falloff and like 50% specular with a semi dark diffuse.

I've also used a fully emissive sphere with finalGather enabled for lightning.
  • Yesmaam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello it's been a while but i have been doing some work on the texture for the m4 and i was hopeing to get some feedback on it.
    Texture sheets are diffuse/specc/normal all size 2048

screenshot26.png
    screenshot27.png
    screenshot28.png
    screenshot29.png

Any feedback or comments are appreciated =)
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    I think the textures look pretty low res for 2048, especially for the parts closer to the camera (see pic). Remember to give stuff closer to the player more UV space. Speaking of which, can we see them? The UVs that is.

44036298.jpg
  • mikelee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice work :)

like the level of detail on your m4

im also working on an m4 still more work to do tho

780x438.jpeg