Home Featured Artwork

Everyone gets one! AR-15 / VLTOR M4!

Replies

• Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    JFletcher: I've had the same issue in Max this week actually. Really annoying isnt it?
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    Also, looks awesome. Nice and clean. :D
  • marcinLDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look awesome. Great job.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks

Finally baked yesterday:

m4bake.jpg

and where I'm at with the texture at the moment:

m4wip.jpg

edit: fixed image compression

very aware of lack of material definition, contrast and what not just started fiddling with stuff in the diffuse really, shit will get dope in due time. :)

shleep.
  • Moosey_G
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Hey jonathan I gotta ask. I agree with your original point that all game artists get an M4 at some point.
    Mine was WAAAY back when I started modeling custom weapons for CS:S around the time that I got into game art.
    My question to you is, how is this just now going on?
    I ask this question only to get an origin story out of you, if thats not something you feel like sharing nvm.
    Just thought I'd derail your WIP thread and turn it into a breaking in story.
  • JoshC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No lazer... no tac light... blasphamy!!!

In other news, looks freaken awesome. Good bake, curious though at what the reddish ring around the flash hider is?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Real nice :D
    Care to share a wireframe? I would like to see how some parts are done :)
    Also those orange splotches in the textures are those part of the camo?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bigger pic pls!!! these one are full of jpeg artifacts :(
    it's looking real tight!
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aw, wtf.. I specifically chose my blogspot to upload so it wouldn't compress the images (and my imageshack account has too many images atm, need to delete like 500 just to be allowed to upload again, lol)

I guess it does compress them. I'll find a new host and if not just start uploading to my site I guess.

Thanks guys, more progress later today. :)

as for the orange bits, they were intended as a little bit of paint/colour to break things up, I will get rid of the bit on the barrel though.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about imgur.com? that's what I use.
    I like the idea about breaking it up with the orange, what about choosing a few small pieces, that would be painted in that color.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried imgur back during the Darksiders contest, I really like the site and the simplicity but it still compresses stuff, for instance:

http://i.imgur.com/hHT0k.jpg

Sucks really, because I'd love to use it.

edit:

ah, just found cubeupload.com

absolutely perfect, no compression and simple as hell. :) (image updated)
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey jonathan I gotta ask. I agree with your original point that all game artists get an M4 at some point.
    Mine was WAAAY back when I started modeling custom weapons for CS:S around the time that I got into game art.
    My question to you is, how is this just now going on?
    I ask this question only to get an origin story out of you, if thats not something you feel like sharing nvm.
    Just thought I'd derail your WIP thread and turn it into a breaking in story.

That's cool, I actually really like these kind of stories. For me it isn't terribly interesting, but I actually got into modelling by creating weapons, I was so bad that I used to just planar map the side of the weapon and just use photo textures, as I didn't really know how to UV map properly. I just really enjoyed it though, and ended up making a bunch of different weapons, all of which were very bad, but they were my favourites from FPS's at the time. M4, AK, desert eagle, AWP, MP5, p90, everything. They were all absolutely terrible though, I think I spent like 2 days on each of them.

(You could say that I've used my 'free pass' but it wasn't like any effort was put into the first one :P )

Eventually I found FPSCreator, threw my weapons in there and then it was just practice from there on. I think I could have learned a lot more if I had just joined polycount a lot sooner or an actual mod team, but in the end it pushed me to become more of a generalist today, as I had to rig and animate stuff (I really liked animating first person weapons, it was like 50% of the reason to make the weapon)

This is the first normal mapped current gen weapon I've made, and the first high poly one. I guess if anything it's a nice reminder of how I started. :)

This has also reminded me just how little time to work on personal stuff I really have. (It's almost half way through the year and this and the DS2 Comp is all I have done, I'm supposed to be a character artist right?) So I wont be taking the time for granted afterwards, I'm going to go straight onto a new character and some character based hand-painted texture tutorials. :)

Not to say that I dislike this, but I think this will probably be the first and last realistic weapon I'll make in my free time for quite a long while.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Dropbox? I thought that was standard these days? No compression, easy to use. Register and your up and running. And yes, that was an ref link from my Dropbox. I'm sneaky like that ;) (gets me an extra 250 mb..)

Would love to see wires on both the HP and the LP. Looking very solid this far!
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Some of the details you've created get lost in your low poly model. While there is wonderful detail in the rear of the gun, the silhouette gets a little lost up towards the muzzle brake. If this guns is only meant to be seen from the rear, then it's fine but if it's ever to be viewed from the side I'd recommend throwing some extra polys in it.

The muzzle brake you've modeled is definitely a correct size in proportion, but it just doesn't read quite properly when compared to the rear of the gun. I'd exaggerate.

q1sTH.jpg

Also your muzzle brake is installed upside down. Some muzzle brakes have holes installed all around (like the one in my reference) and some have them only on one side. The purpose of only having half of the muzzle brake with holes is that when the gas exits the gun, it exits upward. If the gas escapes downward and the shooter is prone, it kicks up a huge amount of dirt and reveals the shooter's position.

dVEJt.jpg

That said, your work is beautiful and inspiring. My critiques are nothing more than nit picking.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My guess would be that this a fps gun and parts that is not in the or far from the view can be a bit lower on detail, about the way to muzzle brake is positioned that is really interesting, I would never have thought of that :)

Also nice story about how you got started, I think we all spend max 2 days on something when we first started ;)
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    My guess would be that this a fps gun and parts that is not in the or far from the view can be a bit lower on detail

If this is a first person only asset then the proper way to do it is to not even bother modeling the stock and the entire right side could just be a plane; saves polys and UV space.

Check out Alan Ryzin's work for some very nice first person-only assets.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends I think, you got to think about animations a lot more will be seen that what is present in the fps view, I would maybe remove some of the elements on the other side, but keep the stock intact if it where me.
    I don't know how a professional artist would go about it, but that is what I would do.
    I love polygoo's website and looked a lot on he's working during my latest weapon :)
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks,

shot from last night (polycount was down and couldnt post)

m4wipscreengrabs.jpg

No gloss map yet, and there is still quite a bit of work to do with the spec/materials.

@BringMeASunkist

Thanks for the crit, that said, I think it's too minor of a detail to go back and change, and I'd like to focus tris in different areas of the gun. While yes, I have first person in mind, I also want it to look good from multiple angles simply for presentation.

I appreciate the feedback though. :)

More later today hopefully.
  • Tokusei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokusei polycounter lvl 10
    awesome work JFletcher, this texturing is off the hook! the edges seem to pop quite well and I'm curious if you used any kind of cavity map on your diffuse/spec to bring them out like that? I'm currently texturing a gun and I'm not sure if I should use one or not

i really like the worn edges where the metal has chipped off also, any tips on achieving a similar result?

keep up the great work 8]
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    damn, this looks good! I really like the gradient you have going on the stock. Maybe you could incorporate the same kind of thing on the clip?
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    wow that texture is ace!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those are some killer texture's Fletcher :)

re the muzzle break; could you not just separate the muzzle, rotate it around so the holes are on the top, then reattach it? Polycount gets pretty anal about gun accuracy and it seems like an easy enough fix.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling this done, plus, bonus animation video!! :)

the hand is a very, VERY old model (I didn't really want to go through making an entirely new set of first person arms JUST for this), terrible anatomy and and even more TERRIBLE rig, the thumb area in particular is a fucking mess, an made the reload animation way more annoying than it had to be.. On top of that they are diffuse only so it kind of ruins it but hey, it's better than nothing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGaH3EzZ8KY"]M4 VLTOR - FPS Weapon Animation - - YouTube[/ame]

M4VltorFinal.jpg

I was going to add more geo to the handrail, and maybe and rebake but tbh the issues are so minor I just wanted to finish this do a few quick animations. I will definitely be more cautious of those sort of things in the future though.

Another notch on the portfolio, thanks for the feedback guys, I very much appreciate it. :)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    well damn.. thats gorgeous. im gonna be honest though. at first when i saw this i wasnt too thrilled with it. it kind of looked uuber stylized and somewhat plastic/toony. now that ive seen more and more.. i just feel bad that i was ever in doubt. im in love with that gun dude! superb job!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Lov it! ANimations are sick too!

^_^
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the animation, taking a model to the next level with it. Looks great mate. Only strengthens your folio.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    those images are entirely too small. I want more bigger.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    fletch thats fucking awesome....nuff said.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sick work, this got saved straight ahead for later :)
    Seeing it in action makes it even a notch better ;)
  • JoshC
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Oh man nice use of materials. You've done a terrific job on this! You should be grinning from ear to ear.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, much appreciated. :)

I'm putting together a few 'quick tip' type images for some basic texture stuff. Maybe it will help some people.

I'll get a wireframe pic of this in a bit, and flats. Almost forgot. :)

Also at some point I gotta update my site sometime soon. Clip out all the old crap and create a newer, cleaner design with larger images.
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fred2303 polycounter lvl 7
    You really are an exceptional artist! you master so many styles, really insparational!
    congratulatino for that awesome piece!
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes! Bigger images!
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    realy nice work you got there. Im intrested to se whires and maps. Just because its nice to se what details you have made mesh of and which are just normal maps.

Hope this is not your last weapon your realy good at it.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    wow, really beautiful work man
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    everyone might make one but not everyone is going to make something this awesome!!
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    The 'crosshair' doesnt float with the gun...is it just an overlay?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Very late response, but
    m4ticket.jpg
    makes me think of making a series of 'obligatory' models. It's cute.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

Almost forgot about the wire and flats!

Here they are, if anyone's interested

wire.jpg

flats.jpg

@ katana

No, it's just a viewport background image, just a little something quick to make it look a bit nicer when I was animating it. :)

@ Snader

Haha, yeah that would be cool. :) Could add 'Bald Space marine' as one of them. :)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Phenomenal work as always, and the animations just make it fucking rad as hell!
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome work man! Just a quick question (as off topic it as it is) ,what engine were you displaying that in Marmoset?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    max, with xolioul shader.
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehsan Gamer polycounter lvl 6
    Very nice job .

did you used 3ds max or maya for animation ? biped or bones ?

for the AAA games do they use biped or bones ?
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks Pedro, Just wondered how he got that nice backdrop but I assume xolioul shader applies that. right?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    You can just render them with Alpha's if you use Grabviewport 2.5, then do the BG in photoshop. Or, youu can se Max viewport to have a blue BG like that, and then use the Vignette post shader I made.

At first I thought the texturesize was a bit big, Jon, but then i realized it amounts to the same texturespace we'd use at work if you mapped the attachments to separate sheets.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    So glad you came back to it man, looks beautiful! :D