Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Airship Model

Hi guys, I've been working on this model for a while now and am looking for some of the great feedback I've seen on these forums.

Some high poly screens:
long%20shot%20rear.jpeg
close%20rear.jpeg
long%20front.jpeg

Here's how the low poly looks at the moment:
low%20poly.jpeg

And here's the original concept, by Mark Tedin:
---Favorite---.jpg

At the moment I am trying to get the fine details in on the high poly because I need to bake everything by the end of this weekend and start texturing.

Right now I'm in the middle of zbrushing the the worn and dented metal engine pieces and then I'll start embellishing some of the trim on the main hull of the ship. There are also some miscellaneous small details I still need to get in (missing flag, missing pipes, etc).

I'm actually not sure what to do about the wood paneling on the hull. I could zbrush it or I could get a cleaner result in ndo2, I don't know.

Right now the plan is for the low poly to be between 15k-20k tris and fit everything on a 2k texture sheet. I'm mirroring most of the uvs and stacking the sails and alot of the pipes, so that will save space. I think I'm going to have to spend time softening most of the bevels on the high poly because now that I look at it they're probably not going to bake well that tight.

Anyway, I plan for this to be a great portfolio piece, and to get it there I'd like some good critique. Thanks in advance :).

Replies

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    I've got nothing to add but GREAT WORK.
    Somehow i feel like watching Treasure Planet again. You've done a really good job capturing the refrence if that is the only refrence you have.

I really want to see how the finished Low Poly version will be. Will you also texture it?
  • VictorSantos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VictorSantos polycounter lvl 12
    Woah! Awesome concept and great modeling, seems like this is gonna be a great piece.

Cheers!!
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    That's a pretty cool concept and idea. :)
    Your model is looking a bit more compact than the concept though. You should rescale it so that it's longer. Since it's such a big ship you should also consider creating modular pieces which you can reuse all over it. Don't be afraid to add more details here and there than in the concept either, like more pipes in the engine area for instance.
  • Sithis324
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice concept :D

I think you lost some of the overall shape on the side of the ship tho, right below the curved extrusion

as for the wood paneling,
    Havent used nDo yet but i always hate textureing is PS if i cant get a good flat UVs.
    I would try making an alpha of the wood in PS then in zbrush use the drag brush to apply it to the surface. And i think it was the move topo brush to get the wood panels flowing in the direction you want

Good Luck!!
  • Marchwarden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the encouraging comments :).

@Goraaz and Sithis324: Thanks very much for the fresh eyes, your comments helped a ton. I made some major adjustments based on your input and I'm happier with the results.

long%20rear%20new.jpeg
    long%20side.jpeglong%20front.jpeg

Back to work.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    damn, looks fun!

Keep it up. Wanna see textures! =)
  • I Like Feet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bitchin ship. Can't wait to see some textures on it.