Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval Tavern - UDK

I just finished this interior shot of a tavern. I hand-painted all the textures. Even though this is in UDK, I wanted it to still maintain a stylized hand-painted feel so I limited my use of the materials editor. So, only diffuse maps and alphas. Still not completely satisfied with it. Any suggestions?

Tavern_Render.jpg

Replies

• Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthy9986 polycounter lvl 7
    it seems to have very little color variation. I only see a little bit of green here and there. Also the candle lights seem to be very bright for candles.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    White light? Get some Color in those lights! Also it's very bright for a tavern, it could definitely use more contrast.
  • CCantu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated scene with new lighting...

Tavern_Render02.jpg
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    The new lighting changes look great! Although I still think it's a bit bright for a bar. The tops of the stools stand out a bit too much imo. They don't seem like they're being lit by the same lights as the rest of the scene. Taverns are usually pretty dark. Don't be afraid to obscure some of those fine textures for the sake of setting the mood. :D
  • funkdelic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha the new lights are neat!

Im really liking this one! Got to agree with the other guys with the color variation but I dont think you need darken the textures, the style you choose is more cartoonish, so the color saturation for me is really nice.

Dungeons defenders have a nice tavern that could help you a bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLy6XCyo4gs
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    funkdelic wrote: »

Im really liking this one! Got to agree with the other guys with the color variation but I dont think you need darken the textures, the style you choose is more cartoonish, so the color saturation for me is really nice.

Even in that ref you posted the corners get a lot darker. It's mostly a lighting thing. I wouldn't make the texture itself darker overall. Just more contrast. There's just too much light in the scene overall for the amount of light sources we're seeing imho.
  • Prtofdacrowd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prtofdacrowd polycounter lvl 8
    funkdelic wrote: »

You beat me to it, but dont forget that Dungeon Defenders has released its development kit, ie customised UDK release... find it here

http://store.steampowered.com/app/202522/

Play around, look at their work and be inspired it reckon you might even expand this environment after your play time.... hope it helps :)
  • funkdelic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, nice tip Prtofdacrowd!
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking good!

My only concern is that the image overall seems quite uniform, in that there isn't much variation in colour. Try bringing in some more greens and perhaps blues to contrast those reds and oranges.
    Maybe some blue banners or tapestries in the background, covering the tops of the walls or the bar?
    Something to seperate the background and foreground, really.
  • CCantu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions. Will definitely check out Dungeon Defenders - already looks helpful. As far as color, yeah I think it needs more cool colors, just wasnt sure how to add them with all the orange lighting but I like the idea of a tapestry somewhere.