Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Johannes Waals, Environment Artist

Hello Everyone.
I am an Environment Artist/ World Builder currently studying Video game art at Full Sail University and in my final months of study. As my time here at school comes to a close I must begin to compile my Demo real and Portfolio and polish up some of my work in order to help me demonstrate my skills to a potential employer. I will hopefully be able use the Polycount community to help me gain useful feedback and critiques on my environments and continue to improve the overall quality of my work.

I thought I would post up my current environmental project and get some feedback. This is a scene of a Cliffside Palace Entrance and I am still blocking out assets and will be bringing them into UDK soon.

If you would like to look at my Main Reference.
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg557/jwaalsjr/enviroArt/skyrim-makarth-castle.jpg

My First Blockout pass
Screenshot2012-02-09at24326PM.png

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Replies

• dutchman7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At this point in time most of the assets are a first pass and i am almost ready to set it up again in UDK and begin texturing.

Screenshot2012-02-10at102700AM.png

Screenshot2012-02-10at103407AM.png

Screenshot2012-02-10at102853AM.png

Wall, Door, Pillar, and Floor pieces
    Screenshot2012-02-10at103206AM.png

Screenshot2012-02-10at103234AM.png
  • MorganFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love how its coming! and the attention to detail. :)
  • dutchman7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Morgan, glad you like it so far. :)
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    MMMM MAYA ANTI ALIASING SO GUUUD

please have it in UDK,i like your details though, looks nice
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    Man , i'm really loving those screenshot .. all those object are hipoly ? and you are planning
    to sclupt them ,?
  • dutchman7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik wrote: »
    MMMM MAYA ANTI ALIASING SO GUUUD

please have it in UDK,i like your details though, looks nice

Thanks Jungsik, and i plan to have them in UDK within the coming days.
    ayoub44 wrote: »
    Man , i'm really loving those screenshot .. all those object are hipoly ? and you are planning
    to sclupt them ,?

Thanks ayoub... These meshes are more of a medium poly and will be giving me my base meshes to sculpt on, and so then to answer your second question, Yes i am also planning on sculpting most if not all of them.
  • XRevan23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XRevan23 polycounter lvl 15
    modeling looking good so far, looking forward to seeing the next steps you take.
  • dutchman7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've got a bit of an update.
    i Brought it into UDK and reassembled the scene, plus begun the extension of other mountains in the distance and did some basic lighting setup.

CaptureA.jpg
    -Main Shot
    Capture2copy.jpg
    -Alternate Main shot

Some Other shots:

Capture5copy.jpg
    Capture4copy.jpg

Looking out from the palace:

Capture7copy.jpg
    Capture3copy.jpg

a side note, the sky itself is still udks basic night sky with some minor tweaks.
    As always any comments are much appreciated.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    I can`t see anything. They look like thumbnails...
  • dutchman7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There they should be fixed now.
  • dutchman7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,
    I've got a new update of my project. I have mostly been texturing lately and have a decent base diffuse on most of the assets, some still have a basic grey as a place holder for the not so pleasing blue and whit checkers. I plan to have the last few done by tomorrow night.

So heres some shots of the environment currently, hope you like...
    Cap6.png

Cap5.png

Cap3.png

Cap2.png

I also extended the area down to the end of the stairs and closed it off in different ways.
    Cap1.png

As always any feedback or critique on my models, textures, or design are more than welcome. Thanks :)
  • whalesharkbite
    Love it friend! Will you be adding the mossy green as shown in your concept picture?
  • Hondamoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is really nice. What about the faces on the stone pillars by the waterfall?? Are you planning on doing those or did you redesign??
  • dutchman7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have not entirely ruled out adding some plant life to break it up but at the moment I'm using the reference more for basic layout and feel, And attempting to create a more interesting architectural style and color palette than that of the initial reference.
  • dutchman7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hondamoo wrote: »
    this is really nice. What about the faces on the stone pillars by the waterfall?? Are you planning on doing those or did you redesign??
    ahh those epic faces! yes i did originally want to do them, but went in favor of a redesign to fit more with the developing style, but may add another more interesting piece to replace the one in between the waterfall to bring some more visual interest to that area.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    The floor pieces look a little bit weird to me, they look too rounded... or pillowy. Are they baked down to planes, or are they geometry like in the blockout. If they are geo, then the smoothing is def throwing it off.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    Looking really cool! How many meshes are you using?
  • dutchman7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow The floor pieces look a little bit weird to me, they look too rounded... or pillowy. Are they baked down to planes, or are they geometry like in the blockout. If they are geo, then the smoothing is def throwing it off.

At the moment i do have actual geometry there and i defiantly see what you mean, I'll take a look at the smoothing on it and the lighting effecting it and see if i can find a nicer look, thanks for pointing it out though. :)
    Wonkey Looking really cool! How many meshes are you using?

thanks Wonkey,
    I have 33 assets that are geometry, that includes the water and rocks. 26 of them are Structural pieces.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    Just curious, but did you bake all that detail down into normal maps... or are you actually using all the geo still? I can't tell too well from your latest images, except it does look like all your floor tiles are geo and not a normal map.
  • dutchman7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A small update, finished getting base textures on all my assets, and got some basic effects in my water.

Screencap_01.png

Screencap_03.png

Screencap_04.png
  • dutchman7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli wrote: »
    Just curious, but did you bake all that detail down into normal maps... or are you actually using all the geo still? I can't tell too well from your latest images, except it does look like all your floor tiles are geo and not a normal map.

Thanks for asking oobersli,
    At the moment all the actual separate pieces are for the most part modeled but with what i think is fairly clean geometry. i could show you shots of specific pieces with wireframes and polycounts and such, but you are correct that none have normal maps at the moment. I've been focusing on diffuses at the moment.
  • RJHelms84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work. If you're interested in modelling for a Fallout mod, drop me a PM.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    ah ok, well i'm going to try and not sound negative but I would really work on optimizing your scene then if i were you. Clean or not, if those ground tiles are actual geo, an employer is going to question why you thought it was a good idea when normal mapping can fake it with much more efficiency. The same goes for the rest of the scene.

If say you wanted to go for a peice that showed off modeling without textures, yes I could maybe see it being beneficial, but when our main goal today is to be optimized and efficient as possible, you can't always afford to model out every brick or tile.

As for your diffuse textures, if you could show what type of stone youre going for, that would help. You have a bunch of stuff that looks like color marble, and tiled in a way that doesn't look like its made for the piece of geo. the scene texturing overall feels very tiled and generic. nothing in there draws attention of being interesting or unique. In part because you're using so much geo and tiling that geo all over the place.

taking a look at your reference, you've strayed off from it quite a bit. By modeling your ground tiles, they're uniform.. where as the reference has irregular stones *something you could do easy within a texture*. The stairs have cracks, are uneven, as well with the pillars.

the detail you have on the arches and walls don't resemble anything recognizable, where as the concept feels like ancient ruins with gold inlaid detail.

maybe try and make a high poly and sculpt one of those pillars from the concept rather than trying to make it with a bunch of boxes and geo? Portfolio/demo piece or not, if you accept the rate your going you're just using your time on a piece that could raise questions from employers and hurt your chances of a job in an industry saturated with tons of others looking for employment.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Oobersli hit it on the head, you have a lot of detail that could be done with flat faces/normal maps leaving room to use those pollies in more important areas.
  • dutchman7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @oobersli
    Thanks for the critique oobersli, and taking my feelings into account :poly121:

When it comes to some of my current geo choices I can defiantly see your point and I’m actually about to replace the floor with a normal mapped version, but for many of my other pieces there is a lot of different silhouette break that I felt needed actual geometry support so that it could hold its detail better up close. And you kinda touched on it I wanted to show off some more modeling, and your right that today we are all about optimizing, sometimes pushing things that look abit worse but are a lot cheaper, but I feel that is due more to our limitations than actually getting a better artistic result. And when working on an actual game piece it is very important because you can always use that extra stuff somewhere else when your engine can only take so much. But I’m also not constrained by an entire game world with animations and characters and needing to worry about frame rate and such, so some of those extra things wont get used somewhere else. So I felt I could allow myself a bit more spending on details being as that’s what I wanted to focus on. That being said I am still optimizing more because your completely right that is still very important, and I think its all about finding that sweet balance of optimized quality.

So I am continuing to iterate on my textures and models and taking some of your points into consideration to see if I cant get them up another level in overall quality.

As for the reference you are correct I did stray from it and I meant to, the Image was more for inspiration and gave me my basic layout and feel which I then built upon. i probably should have stated this in the beginning and realized this now. From the start I decided to move in a different direction with the architectural style, where the reference had a dwarven ruin kind of feel to it. I wanted to create my own, drawing a lot of shapes and details from art deco style buildings.

and again Thank you for taking the time to look at my work and give me some feed back. it should help me quite abit as i try to draw this project to a close.
  • dutchman7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,
    I've got a bit of an update again, most notably made some lighting changes and added some emissive to accent the scene and hopefully add some visual interest. Also finally added normal and detail normal maps to all the structural assets. and fully normal mapped the tiled floor down to a 32 tri simplified mesh.

shot2-1.png

shot1-1.png

screenshot04-1.png

screenshot05-1.png
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    The environment is pretty cool but the lighting needs some work. It looks very contrasty and flat because the "sun" is pretty much pointing down. I like your first tests better, they had some cool subtle shadows and were also much simpler. The crazier you get with lighting the harder it is to get it right!

I also believe the textures look too noisy, specially the floor tiles and the rocks. I believe the rocks would look a lot better if they had broader shapes instead of all the mid range details that they have right now.

Anyways keep it up, looking forward to seeing your progress!
  • dutchman7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got another update, been tweaking materials and meshes a bit, played with lighting some more and decided to try and set the mood a bit with some atmosphere and snow flurries and some buildup. this will probably be close to what i turn in for my actual assignment grade, but i am definatly going to continue to work on this and hopefully smooth out more and more of the faults in it.

Cap1-1.png

Cap2-1.png

Cap3-1.png

Cap5-1.png

Cap4-1.png

Thanks for all the advice and critique so far guys.
  • dutchman7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some changes to the lighting to draw some interest to some areas. i felt that the inside most halls could use some warmer lighting to both bring them out and push back the cold a bit more. I've also finally managed to setup and render out a Fly through, which is how i wanted to ultimately show off this piece.

hope you all like, as always any critiques are welcome as i will continue to polish it.
    But I am also looking to start a new project this month, probably something a bit smaller focusing more on textures. still tossing around some ideas so we will see what develops.

i'll post the video soon, until then heres some new shots of the environment.
    Render_01.JPG

Render_02.JPG

Render_03.JPG

Render_04.JPG

Render_07.JPG
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    Probably a very insignificant feature, and maybe even a temp one, but your moon(s) and sky in general looks very low-res. In your last image this detracts quite a lot from the outstanding quality of everything else in the scene. I also think the background could do with some more high quality rocks and landscaping because towards the lower half of the sky, the scene begins to look confusing and unrealistic because there is no horizon
  • dutchman7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone got my video show of the Palace. hope you like it.

http://vimeo.com/37874431
  • dutchman7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably a very insignificant feature, and maybe even a temp one, but your moon(s) and sky in general looks very low-res. In your last image this detracts quite a lot from the outstanding quality of everything else in the scene. I also think the background could do with some more high quality rocks and landscaping because towards the lower half of the sky, the scene begins to look confusing and unrealistic because there is no horizon

Thanks for pointing out the background, I agree that i should definitely up its quality so that i can take those shots looking outward and still have it look just as good. maybe ill add the silhouettes of structures in the background as well, but we will see i suppose.
  • dutchman7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've been trying to find some time to continue to work on my most recent scene. Pretty much across the board a big critique i have received is that i need to work on my lighting, and especially pushing some of my shadows more to create more visual interests. I made quite a few changes to the lighting, i found that the moon light was washing out most of the scene so i toned it back a bit and tried to get more interesting shadows out of it. and also focused in on light sources more.

so heres some update shots.
    Capture1.jpg

Capture3-1.jpg

Capture5-1.jpg

Capture7-1.jpg

Capture8.jpg

Capture9.jpg

Capture10.jpg
    As always any and all feed back is much appreciated.
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking much nicer with the shadows but i feel the blueness of the scene is a little to strong. Just my personal taste.
  • dutchman7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking much nicer with the shadows but i feel the blueness of the scene is a little to strong. Just my personal taste.

yea i know what you mean, I have been trying to find a good balance with the blue for a bit now, I like that its helping to push the night time feel and helps the cold bare down on the scene, but It also keeps over powering it as well. I am going to continue to play with it some more, maybe pulling some of the saturation out of the blue will give me a better result.