Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Modular - medieval church environment (UDK)

Replies

• Rageleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rageleet polycounter lvl 6
    thanks for the reply guys ill see what i can do :D i need to juice it up for my work showcase on the 24 of may :D
  • Rageleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys ive been working on the outside of the church, just started adding in the terrain grass and poppys.

need some real help getting the outside looking, good at the minute im getting black marks in the grass, and it doesn't seem to blend well.

outdoor_Testing1.jpg

outdoor_testing_blackissue.jpg
  • Rageleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I fixed the black marks by playing around with the 'Edit normals' in 3DS max, Changed the single planes and made each plane intersect in a circle and played around with the material adding 'non directional' lighting and colour instance to try and blend with the floor, provides a better result but still not what i was after :(, image below is without a rebuild, so im expecting bad things when i click it haha

outdoor_Testing2_editor.jpg
    if anyway can help that would be really awesome :D thank you. :)
  • Rageleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update

New_test.jpg
  • Rageleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • johnicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really nice work! I have some questions and some comments. :)

Are you planning on the outside being an area that you just see from inside or are you planning for it to be explorable by the player?

Either way the outdoor part of the scene could use some trees, bushes, varied terrain, and distant land marks. I know you aren't finished yet, and in no way am I saying this is bad work, but if you put a shot of the interior next to a shot of the exterior I think people would wonder if the work was done by the same person. You just need to elevate the level of detail of the outside to the same level as the inside. :)

If you plan for the player/camera to explore the outside areas around the building you will need to include a lot more of those types of landscaping details and props, but if you are just planning for it to be something seen from within the building, you could get away with only a few trees and maybe a wall surrounding the grounds.

Also, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a church with headstones that close to the building. Usually they are off to the side or out back, and a short walk away from the building.
  • Rageleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback guys :D, ermm i want it to be explorable, or just a small area where the player and just walk around, and i know how you mean about the landscape, i really struggled getting something i liked and i know its far from correct.

the problem is this environment needs to be ready by the 24th, so i don't think everything is going to be done especially things such as trees but i just want have something like a small area such as a graveyard with fences that the player can walk around in.

the gravestone are just there for testing these are going to be moved :D, This is the kind of screen i wanna go for :D

Anglesey,%20Llanedwen%20Church.jpg

Anglesey,%20Llanedwen%20Church%20from%20the%20Field%20-%20Side%20View.jpg
  • Rageleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Playing around with some graves a little repetitive at the minute :D

Graves_test.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good.

You could try varying the terrain a bit more though - perhaps some small hills close to the church to block off the view to the horizon would help?
  • Rageleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah something needs to go there defiantly :P ill have a play around I've moved on to improving the church now, only 2 days to go till im showing it off too the big mens :| !, still got a tower and a lot of tweaking to go :P

ill post an update soon, just waiting on a lighting rebuild :P
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    i like it a lot, what about creating a forest ? with trees all around it and some fog on the ground?
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    I agree with whats being said about the background.. really need to break up that horizon a bit. Trees, hills, ruins, tombs etc.

Looking good though
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As @underfox said, some ground-level fog would look wonderful!
    You could make it using a combination of a FogVolumeLinearHalfspaceDensityInfo actor and some nice cloudy particles :)
  • Rageleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guy for the comments!, ill get on those hills and the fog sounds like a really good idea, ill see what i can get done later.

just working on the tower :| so horrible
  • Rageleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Testing some scale :D
    Church_testng_tower.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking much better already with that steeple :)
  • Rageleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man, yeah im liking it, think it might be too small though at the minute
  • Rageleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more shape :D crits/ i think it might be too small

Church_testng_tower2.jpg