Home General Discussion

Any tutorials for creating an environment for a game engine

I'm looking for a tutorial (a free one, I've been burned too much on tutorial dvds that are way too fast) (video or text) that shows exactly what to do in creating an environment or scene in 3DS Max for it to be used in a game engine. How to texture it (uv unwrapping) is my biggest issue, do I unwrap the whole scene into one texture map or if not, how do I work out how many texture maps to have.

Thanks for the help in advance, any suggestions/advice will be appreciated :)

Replies

• Lazerus Reborn
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    If your having trouble while following paid-for tutorials, the you need to start lower down the chain of things. Practice and learn each section you need to cover. You say your having issues with UV's then google it for tutorials or check the polycount wiki for help. There is literally thousands of tutorials on the net to search for, so, search!

On the tutorial;
    If the guy is going too fast, pause it and catch up. If he's done something you don't understand then again Google what he's done and look for a description or information about it. It's not hard really.
  • street89
    I'm not having trouble following them because I don't understand it, it's because they're way too fast. I bought the EAT3d old damaged pillar tutorial and it was just too fast to follow (other users agreed) I know I can pause it but because the video was speeded up, it was impossible to even see where the mouse was going. Thanks for your helpful advice anyway.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Don't worry about where the mouse is going - it's sped up during the parts that don't matter as much.
  • Dazz3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    street89 wrote: »
    I'm not having trouble following them because I don't understand it, it's because they're way too fast. I bought the EAT3d old damaged pillar tutorial and it was just too fast to follow (other users agreed) I know I can pause it but because the video was speeded up, it was impossible to even see where the mouse was going. Thanks for your helpful advice anyway.

That for me was one of the most helpful tutorials ever. I watched that DVD again and again then followed the guy painstakingly each step, I just kept pausing, copying, pausing, copying and if i didnt quite catch what he said, I seached back again and listened again.

No one in my class bothered at Uni and none of them know how to use max to bake maps. Learning isnt always easy, sometimes you've got to be determined and its only those who are determined who succeed.

Go watch it again mate, its honestly a great tutorial :)
  • gsokol
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol polycounter lvl 14
    If your expecting to follow tutorials on a 1:1 ratio as you watch it..your going to be dissapointed all the time.

Eat 3d tutorials are pretty solid...I have a few myself.
  • street89
    Dazz3r wrote: »
    That for me was one of the most helpful tutorials ever. I watched that DVD again and again then followed the guy painstakingly each step, I just kept pausing, copying, pausing, copying and if i didnt quite catch what he said, I seached back again and listened again.

No one in my class bothered at Uni and none of them know how to use max to bake maps. Learning isnt always easy, sometimes you've got to be determined and its only those who are determined who succeed.

Go watch it again mate, its honestly a great tutorial :)

I'll do just that. If you don't mind me asking, which uni did you go to?
  • Dazz3r
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll do just that. If you don't mind me asking, which uni did you go to?

University of Huddersfield, but for the Games Art degree they run the course at their campus in Oldham just outside Manchester.
  • street89
    Ahh, Leeds Met for me, Games Design. How did you find it? Watching the training DVD again and I'm finding it really useful, was silly of me to try do alongside him.
  • Dazz3r
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm actually still in my second year but TT Fusion contacted our Uni saw my work, interviewed me and offered me a job (touch wood) its all going so well, I do think I've had a bit of good fortune but I suppose you have to put yourself in the position in the first place.
  • street89
    I've had no such luck. I keep worrying that it's something I really want to do but I'm not good enough or i dont have enough knowledge on the subject. I've stuck with it and I've kept doing small 3D projects but its the UV unwrapping that lets me down. Do you have a portfolio I could take a look at? It's something I don't have ready yet (in the process) and it'd be useful to see someone's portfolio whos just been offered a job where employers are likely to not expect the best work from someone new to the industry.

Edit: just looked on your LinkedIn, Prop Artist is the thing I want to do as well. What would you suggest to create for a portfolio for going into this particular job?

Thanks
  • Dazz3r
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had no such luck. I keep worrying that it's something I really want to do but I'm not good enough or i dont have enough knowledge on the subject. I've stuck with it and I've kept doing small 3D projects but its the UV unwrapping that lets me down. Do you have a portfolio I could take a look at? It's something I don't have ready yet (in the process) and it'd be useful to see someone's portfolio whos just been offered a job where employers are likely to not expect the best work from someone new to the industry.

Edit: just looked on your LinkedIn, Prop Artist is the thing I want to do as well. What would you suggest to create for a portfolio for going into this particular job?

Thanks

Yeah but dont use my portfolio as an example to follow, the way its set out is poor. Your work should be immediately present on the first page. Aim much higher and look at some of the top artists work on here, look at how the common format of portfolios works.

I was lucky in that my lecturer put me forward to the company when they were at my uni and then a chance to sit down with the Lead Artist from TT Fusion and show him all the work on my hdd. Without that opportunity, I doubt I would be working right now because I know my portfolio isnt up to scratch.

Don't give in, keep going, as long as you are constantly seeking to improve you will make it :)