Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[ZBrush] Sea Creature & Rider

Replies

• njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the armour design so far, kind of like rusted metal or something thats been sitting at the bottom of the see for a while. looking forward to seeing how this rider turns out :) Love some of the ref youve gathered too, all of the left hand images are so awesome haha
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks very much for the critique Alex, was really helpful :D

njc6425 - Thanks!

SO. That was quite the ZBrush adventure! Instructor had us polypaint and pose this in ZBrush instead of take it through the full game pipeline of retopo and whatnot, and this is what I've managed to come up with haha. As always, c&c welcome :] I am not particularly comfortable with the software yet, but it's one I think I could get used to if I keep tinkering with it! As always, c&c welcome, and thanks everyone for all the help I got on this thread:

0tsf7.jpg

QGbSp.jpg

hBYfj.jpg

d35Uy.jpg

9SQOH.jpg

hrGHC.jpg
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the skin texture, did you sculpt pores? if not it might be nice to just even add a quick noise deformer on the body at a really low level. I think its a shame that you were told not to take this through to game ready, itd be really nice to see you take this into max or maya to render because zbrush isnt doing the armor much justice and it looks awesome, the textures awesome too, i think a good spec map would really just make it pop/ great job jess !!
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    I think you should take this through to completion (ie game ready asset) if you can/want to. It looks quite cool and you've already got the creature so I see no reason to stop now :) One thing though, there's something about the face that I'm not too keen on but I can't put my finger on it :( Have you looked at Abe Sapian from Hellboy? Maybe that could be a good reference
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Hey, Jessica. These are pretty cool characters. Your recent character looks cool but there are some things that you should consider when doing your next character and/or if you wish to adjust this one.

1. The details on the hair looks pretty shallow, from what I can tell it looks like you've just painted streams on top of your mesh. You should be painting inwards as well as outwards when sculpting hair and use a variety of brush sizes(it's a bit difficult at first). You need to gradually go from a low sub-division to higher ones and start off with larger brushes and then go lower. It looks like you've only painted with small brushes.

2. Another thing I've noticed are some of the details on her face. A good way to make details and extra shapes to go along with the face is to make them follow the muscles of the face. If it doesn't match there is a good risk of it looking like a scar.

3. Make sure the skin color gradients reaches longer than just the wrist for example. Make sure the pink tone reaches the forearm and then gradually go to the more green one. (At first glance I thought she was wearing a green shirt. :S )

4. Are those shapes on her armor barnacles? If so then paint them in a different color.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Ooo, thanks very much for the critique guys!

njc6425 - I forgot about skin pores :0 Also, I agree about making a proper spec map would make this look better. I was trying to achieve some nice materials in ZBrush alone, but it is hard :poly134:

urgaffel - The face kinda creeps me out too! xD I will have to take another look at it..

Saman - Awesome, thanks for the pointers :):)

Well I'm glad you guys think the design is cool enough for me to take this through to the end hahaha. I wasn't planning on putting any characters in my portfolio, but if I work on this more I suppose I could throw it up on my randomness blog haha. Thanks for the critiques, I know exactly what to work on now should I find some more free time for this and also for future characters!