Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gas station/ Petrol Pump

Hello Polycount users!

after a loooong discussion with myself, i finally decided to begin on my very first game model!

keep in mind that this is my very first game model, with normal maps!!!! :P

the textures and the udk stuff could be A LOT better, but my focus was the pipeline between 3ds max and udk and generating a normal map!

am i totally on the wrong track or what???

gameartstander0201.jpg

Replies

• A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    Congrats on getting your asset into UDK. :) But now I think 2o48* maps for such a small prop is a bit large, unless the game is about a petrol pump who meets another petrol pump and they fall in love. Then, I guess, it will be ok :)

Do you have wires to show to get some feedback on your topology?
  • ToRoDK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here are some wires!

standerwires.jpg

i know that 2048 is a little overkill ... but it was mainly for research ... when i begin on some models that i really want to work hard on i will of curse make the textures the right size and all that other stuff ...

are there any major errors in my model ... something that i should try and avoid ect. or is it just alright (just need practice )
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    I'm also a relative beginner, but since there are a few things that catch my eye I'll give it a go to give some feedback, I hope I'm not to wrong.

I feel like you have a bit to many edges in the "tubes".
    I guess if you reduce those down you would cut your tri's down by a lot, this is just pure guessword, but looking at it I almost feel like half or moreof your tri's are in the tubes.

And I don't know if I'm right on this or not, and altough it's not that much geometry, I have a feeling like you could have cut out those 3 large buttons, and the smaller ones on the keypad.
    They aren't sticking out that much, so the normal map should be able to take care of those.

And a last small point,

I guess it is because you took the text from a photo, but be carefull with the resolution of it versus the other ones.
    For example in yours, there is a big difference between the numbers on the keys, and the text on the "control panel"
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    Topology wise it looks OK at a quick glance. I also agree with the joeriv - saying you could reduce your tri count a lot by reducing those cylinders you have there for the pipes. I also don't think you need to chamfer the edges of the main body..

Which brings me on to... Do some research into normal maps, things like buttons and small nuts/screws and rounded corners could be normal mapped - thus saving you more tris! :)

Keep going dude!