Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Windmill Scene UDK

Schrodinger's Backface
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Schrodinger's Backface polycounter lvl 6
Hey Polycount,

This is my first real scene I'm putting together in UDK as well as my first real thread. I'm doing this for a project and I want to get this right--so pummel away. If I'm missing something that people normally post, let me know. I'm still new to how it works here.

For most of the screens I threw some random textures from UDK on, because I just find it easier to look at. Nothing is unwrapped yet. So ignore the textures, none are mine or make any sense. Modeling and composition is what I'm looking for, I guess? Ya'll know better than me. :)

Untitled-5.jpg

sample4.jpg
sample3.jpg
sample2.jpg
sample1.jpg

And the windmill concept I would credit if I knew where it came from:

windmillfinal.jpg

Replies

• Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    The models look alright. There's not a lot to comment on yet.

Get those textures done! :P
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    You're missing alot of details on the windmill, like the second story dooryway ( I would actually remove that part of the model) and windows. Also, the quarter circles near the doors. Also, the awnings on each side under the main roof. You're also missing a small support beam for the stairs. Also, there are a couple extra beams of wood for the balcony safety beams that you don't have. I think that's it, but you should post wires too. As well as polycount.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    The concept is from Neverwinter Nights 2. Since everything is currently a blockout there isn't much point to critique your models.
    You planning however, I'm not sure what you are aiming for. Are you planning on building an entire scene off this single concept? At the moment you have this large, empty scene all in support of this one piece and I'd imagine that in the end even if the windmill is the best windmill ever built in 3d, the rest of the scene will bring down the quality and you'll end up with something which isn't very impressive.

An environment is always about the whole rather than it's individual parts, and while it is important to have each part look as good as you possibly can, if you can't bring all those parts together to form one cohesive whole, the environment won't work.

There are some interesting things in the concept and a lot of areas which I think you could expand on. I'd almost suggest forget about putting it into an environments and rather make a small pedestal to present this on. This way you can focus on the windmill itself but also be able to bring it in the engine, light it, add some grass, your cart, etc.

Here's a good example: http://scotthomer.co.uk/?p=248

And another (this one is an entire environment but he limits how much you see very effectively so the the environment merely supports the house: http://www.viktorzics.com/barn/wbarn.html

Best of luck on this!
  • Schrodinger's Backface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442: Ah yes, I forgot about wires and polycount. I will take some shots of those when I add what you said is missing.

palsvoboda: I like the pedestal idea, but I do not think the terms of my project would allow that. You are right about everything though. I might go with your second suggestion and limit what can be seen. Looking back, I'm not sure why I thought having a big open area of nothing would be good.

Thanks for the critiques so far!
  • Schrodinger's Backface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heyhey, I got really busy so I had to get further along in the project. It still needs some feedback and changes obviously, so have at it! (please)

EDIT: Forgot to mention.. The skybox is not mine. It's from UDK.

Screenshot7.jpg

Screenshot6.jpg

Screenshot5.jpg

Screenshot4.jpg

Screenshot3.jpg

Screenshot2.jpg

Screenshot1.jpg
  • walklikethis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, saw you posted on my thread a while back... and i never returned the favour. So...

everything looks rather flat. but i think that might be due to the lighting. try and get some shadows going to help set the mood and time of day.

the ground looks super repetitive, so i would try and break it up with a bit of vertex painting.

a fantastic tutorial is here:

http://eat3d.com/free/vertex_painting

check that out. keep it up. i can see this being a nice fable like scene.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    If Vertex painting gets you too confused (since it takes time to setup a nice material workable with DX9 limitations) then I suggest a quicker alternative.

http://udkc.info/index.php?title=Tutorials:Adding_Brick_Variation

I usually make mine a simple large cloud texture to fake the variation over a larger surface.