Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP_M4_3dgun

Hi this is a gun i'm working on for a class project.

M4_4.jpg

i'm building every piece separately, like the gun is made in real life.
This is still a WIP so every missing parts will be put in when the model is completed.

M4.jpg

M4_3.jpg

M4_6.jpg

Any critics are welcome.

Replies

• lonewolfgarou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M4_Part.jpg

M4_Part02.jpg

This is my reference

263866.jpg
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats with the strange shadows?
    also show a wire frame please
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Dude, I don't know how you're rendering these but the smoothing looks really wonky on all your shots, I'd fix that if I was you.

Also, reference images are crucial! Find as many photos from as many angles as you possibly can.

It's a good start, just keep working!
  • lonewolfgarou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just got a student version of max 2012, it looks that way when I render in there.
    My 2010 version renders clean. So I think it might be a bug not sure
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    I think you need to add lights to the scene in 2012.
  • lonewolfgarou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, it looks better with lighting

M4_11.jpg

M4_9.jpg
  • lonewolfgarou
  • lonewolfgarou
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    was that grenade launcher attachment done in zbrush? for some reason it looks super muddy.

just some notes on presentation to help with getting critique.. ditch those reflection renders. they're super funky looking and very distracting. dont show orthographic images, they're misleading. get some shots that show the entire gun (maybe put a black shader on it so we can see the silhouette) and if you're working on detailed parts, get closeups of them.

now for my input. as i said before the gun in general looks like it went through zbrush, with improper subdivision resulting in faceted edges, and the work done on it looks muddy. if its not zbrush then its just improper modeling. a lot of what youve done already looks as if its just been created from a side-view of the gun and extruded out, with no real thought or consideration to how each piece looks individually. what i would suggest is to go find some high res images from multiple angles of different parts of the gun (they're out there, you just gotta look for em), and focus just on those at the time. eventually they will all come together but if you want this thing to come out looking great, you need to pay attention to the smaller details and think topologically (firefox has no issue with that word even though i do) how to make them. its not just about making the silhouette, you need to think about creases and crevasses and hard/soft edges that make the gun look the way it does.

ill point you over to this thread because its by far one of the best damn guns ive ever seen done in 3d (and its the same one). just take a look at his, and then back at yours. see the differences, and adjust. it may not come out perfect, itll take practice and effort, but just really pay attention to the wireframes he shows and how it forms the shape of the objects.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88790