Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Kustodiev

Kustodiev
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Kustodiev polycounter lvl 8
Hello everybody! My name is Alfonso and I am from Barcelona (Spain), but I have been living in Prague for the last 4 years.

I am learning by myself everything about 3D and Graphic Design.
I am trying to find some course in specific topics here in the city, not luck for now.

I will be posting works I am doing besides all the tutorials you can find on internet :D

The tool I am using right now for my works is 3ds Max.

I will appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

For now the first work I am trying to finish is this lance (the one that Lancer has in Fate Zero).
This is a reference image: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26655573/3D/Lancer/QIANGBING0.jpg

I got most of the shape done, need to work in materials and maybe texture.

Lance_comp01.png

I would like to ask your help for couple of things I am or have been struggling.

The part in blue in the middle has this shape that I did with splines. In the picture this is supposed to be beveled but with the shape of a rectangle with round corners. I was able more or less to do this manually, but there is a way to do it more easily?

The last thing I am trying to do is in the pole has this shapes that are sticking out. The one you can see I did with splines, but I find it really difficult to get it right. Which is the best approach to give this kind of detail to the pole? In a low poly would be with textures, but how would be in a high one?

Thanks a lot for taking a look! :)

Replies

• Kustodiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After my first post, I moved on for now with the lance and got to finish the high poly of this hydrant. It is inspired in the ones that you can find in Spain.

Hydrant%2001.png

Hydrant%2002.png

I would like to do the low version and the textures, but right now I find it a bit too much for my knowledge. Low version I think I can manage, but if I did it I wouldn't want to let it half way without the textures.

I found some parts of this model really difficult. Like to make that bump in the top of the case.
    To make the chain was interesting.
    But the most difficult was to do those little parts that are in the caps.

I got a problem in the beginning of the project with the main body, because when I already had it I found out it had applied a little turbo smooth.. That gave me problems with the low part joining the main body.
    After that I began to save on increase numbers.

Feel free for any criticism!
  • Kustodiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the end I decided to finish it completely :D

A lot of headaches, but I learnt a lot doing the hydrant. There is still a lot of room for improvement, specially with the textures and in the UV mapping. Because of the laptop I have, I cannot use marmoset.
    I tried xnormal but it was not giving me good normals map, I am not sure what I was doing wrong.

There were parts I had to redo to get a good baking, and that meant to redo uv mapping and the cage.. many times..

SO this is the final result.

High poly:

High_Poly_Hydrant_final.jpg

High_Poly_Hydrant_final_2.jpg

Low poly:

Low_Poly_Hydrant_final.jpg

Low_Poly_Hydrant_final_2.jpg

I still have to decide what I will make next, but I might try to do an airplane :)
  • Kustodiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After a busy period, I have been working this last couple of weeks in this airplane. Is from the serial Future Boy Conan and was named Falco.

You can find some references from the serial and models in this link: http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/SiaoMouse/Model%20References/Future%20Boy%20Conan/

I am in the phase of adding details, wings are pretty much done. I hope I won't have to remodel any part and I think would have been great to know of Zbrush to add all the small details :(

I don't think I will do a low-poly version of this model.

Falco_scrn_01.png
  • Kustodiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will call this airplane done. Maybe in the future I will do a low poly version.
    The cockpit and wings were redone, and the all the small details were added (next time I will learn how to do it in Zbrush :D)

Falco_scrn_02.png

Falco_scrn_03.png

Falco_scrn_04.png

Any critics are most appreciated.
  • Kustodiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I retook the lance with which I began this sketchbook. It is one of the lances that Lancer in Fate Zero uses.

You can see in the beginning of the sketchbook how it looked before and this is how looks once finished:

Lance_01.png

Lance_02.png

In these months I learnt quite a few things that let me redo some of the parts, optimize it and to do the carving that so much trouble would have given me before :)