Home Technical Talk

Odd ZBrush strokes

My strokes in ZBrush just aren't as smooth as I see from other people's videos. I have it set in preferences to 1000 mouse and tablet samples a second (which I'm pretty sure my i7-2600k can handle) and it's STILL giving me nasty boxes on the clay tubes and malletfast brushes and bunches of circles for the orb crack brush.

I could also go on for hours about how everyone else seems to have had a much easier time installing orb's brush than I have. I had to make the alpha myself and then change the alpha settings so it didn't look horrible. And it STILL doesn't look as good as his.

The picture has me using the claytubes brush and the orb crack brush, start slow on the left and moving progressively faster.

Anyone else had this issue or is this normal?

Replies

• NordicNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried using the "Freehand" stroke setting instead of "dots"? It looks like its either that or one of your lazy mouse stroke settings.
  • LtChicken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried using the "Freehand" stroke setting instead of "dots"? It looks like its either that or one of your lazy mouse stroke settings.

Freehand is on for those brushes, yes. And lazymouse isnt on.

Guess I'm supposed to just do really slow strokes or something... and if you're a fantastic artist like orb everything works better for you magically =P
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Pretty sure that's normal, but try going under the "Brush" sub-menu and click Reset All Brushes. Also try going under the "Stroke" sub-menu and change the LazyStep to 0, if LazyMouse is on.

Dunno what else it could be..
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Turn down the mouse average, and slow your strokes down just a tad bit.

Quick strokes like that are good for building some texture. If you just want to quickly rough out the form while maintaining a smoother surface, get in the habit of smoothing the area afterwards.
  • IEatApples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try turning lazy mouse on and just put the lazy step right down to like 0.01. It will make the stroke smooth even when fast, but since the brush will be overlapping at very small increments it will strengthen the intensity so you will probably need to lower this. Worth a shot.

Smooth.jpg