Hi everyone, I've been becoming more interested in modelling recently, and I've been experimenting so that I can learn how to do some basic stuff. Eventually I want to start creating low poly models, so that I can build my skill in this area.
The programs I've used thus far are 3dsmax, mudbox, and photoshop.
1. Can someone please explain in detail the concept of UV mapping, because I'm not entirely sure how it ties into texturing the model. I thought that you'd just be able to automatically paint every polygon that is visable, but clearly that is not the case.
2. When modelling, is it acceptable to have more than one object in the actual model? I mean, say for example you're creating a human head, would you just make a single mesh shell, or would you create the head, the eyes, the tongue, and etc seperately for the single model?
3. When painting with mudbox, I tried to paint a model of an ice cream cone I made by following a tutorial. Why is it that if you have more than one object per model (the cone and the ice cream are separate), the texture paints onto both separate objects instead of painting on each individually?
4. I'd also like to know why it is that when modelling an object, why does it go from quads to triangles when put into a game engine, and why do triangles seem cause some edges buckle or overlap when rendered in triangles?
5. In 3dsmax, how do you lower the polygon count of a selection of edges, or de-tesselate it? I ran into a problem where I accidentally created too many polygons in a small space, and they overlapped when put into a game engine.
6. Is there any good tutorials for absolute beginners on everything to do with texturing or modelling in 3ds max or mudbox for people like me?
Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!