Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blitz Open Day Madness: Street UDK scene

Replies

• ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
    Hahah oh my god Ruz, it's a sleazy Mediterranean scene!

@PogoP Thanks man!

I got the email today, didn't get in. Was really disappointed this morning but oh well. Always next year.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    I feel that you can take this a lot further and make it into a kickass portfolio piece.
    Here's what's bothering me:

Theme - You got a lot mixed up here! This doesn't look Mediterranean to me. You got some arabesque patterns on the walls, the first thing that came into my mind was Portugal's moorish architecture. Take a look at it!

Silhouette and focus - The buildings are quite flat. Add some height variation, awnings, staircases. I'd pull the buildings apart and put a fountain or something interesting right in the middle.

Lighting - right now it looks way better than your first shots, but you can still work on it. If you're going for a sunlit scene, why not have some bright colored carpets hanging from windows, reflecting their color around?

Textures - looks like you just picked some from cgtextures.com and pasted them there. Doors and windows are the biggest offenders here, it really shows. Give them some love, why not model them and bake AO/normal maps?
    Also, take a look at buildings around you. See those black streaks coming from the corners of the windows? Those are rain stains. I miss that, and dirt buildup in some corners.

Hope it helps!
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Not getting into Blitz is definitely not the end of the world. Just keep working on stuff, perhaps focus on some texturing practice, and you'll be fine. Keep at it!