Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blitz Open Day Madness: Street UDK scene

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
Ok, so I was happily working away at my university work yesterday, when someone reminded me that the submission for the Blitz Openday is MONDAY. I really really want to submit some work, so have been frantically working since last night and all of today to come up with something. I apologise if all this is horrendous.

My idea was a european street.

All the foliage is from within UDK, I feel like such a cheat.

Modular pieces for some of the buildings:
modular_building_setup_by_teenagephoenix-d4k3f3y.jpg

Shot from UDK:

street_scene__udk_by_teenagephoenix-d4leeky.jpg

And some textures:

s6nm2f.jpg

I apologise, I don't know the polycount (Ironic) now as Maya is being a bitch and won't open!

Replies

• ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Your blue wall blends in with your blue sky. I feel like the lighting is also really flat.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply ErichWK. Much appreciated.

Do you have any advice on how I can get the lighting to look better?
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    the lighting is taking this scene down ladyknowles. What we're looking for is nice contrast in your lighting. Some cast shadows. Maybe a little post processing in there to dusty up the scene. Simple height fogs are a nice way to add another layer of depth into the scene. the whole scene also feels really saturated, but that may not bug so much once some decent lighting is in.
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes the blue texture should be replaced. As for Lighting have a look at http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/3D_Tutorials.html. There you will find some basic tips on Lighting in UDK.
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walkonsky polycounter lvl 11
    i really like the scene. the mood is nice and i like the setting. however, i dont think it looks like a european scene. seems more like middle eastern to me.

concerning the lighting i would say: add more geometry. all your windows are sticking out only a little bit from the walls. wouldn't you expect that they are set back into the wall? this should give you some shadows on the walls.
    (the same goes for the air conditioners. i have never seen them built into a wall. let them stick out way more and you get more interesting shapes)
    you could also try to break up the lighting itself a little bit. to me it seems that you have only one light source, the sun? for a daylight scene that seems to be reasonable to me (although i really dont know much about lighting ;) ). but you could try to produce some more shadows for interesting lighting by occluding the sunlight with laundry put out on ropes or sun screens over the street.

some other things that bug me a bit:
    number 1:the lighting colour does not really fit the sky texture. the lighting looks light sunset, the sky like the middle of the day.
    number 2: your stone textures do not really align with borders to other textures and door openings in walls. in some areas the stones look like cut in the middle which doesn't make much sense. I would try to align them a little more or cover the transition up with trims. but that might at least in part simply be my nitpicking habit... ;)
    in addition to that i would say that some of your trims do not really fit. what are those flowery things in the middle of the walls? give them a meaning. i dont think they are completly misplaced, but you could make them more realistic for example by giving them a a stone rim or something.

aaaand one last thing: the grass that is growing directly out of the cobblestone in the direct center of the image might not be perfectly placed or might lack in terms of execution ;)

i think there is much space for improvements that should not be to hard to make. keep working on it! ;)
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks so much for the replies people! I have got my hands on the eat 3d Lighting and post processing tutorial, and am going to sit and watch them now.

@SouthpawSid Ok more shadows, I get you :) I'll work on that as soon as I can.

@Bart Yup got the tutorial now! Gonna watch it ALL and learn! Thankyou ;)

@walkonsky I am incredibly thankful to you for this post!! It's like a checklist for me! I'm going to go through now and fix what you've said. I agree with you about the sky box but I'm having real trouble applying my own sky to the scene, I'm currently using the UDK ones :(

Plus I'm really happy that you like the scene, so relieving. I've been working on it all day and I'm at that point where I don't know what looks good and what doesn't!
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Hey, I've applied for the Blitz open day too, and like you I've been rushing to get something ready to submit as my work sample these last few days!

I agree with the other crits on lighting so far, but the thing that strikes me most is the lack of shape. The plant pots are great, but everything else seems quite flat - try to think of the silhouettes and bring in some elements to break it up. The rooftops could use some timber beams, aerials, supports, etc to help bring variety to the shape - wires hanging across the street is always a good one and can help produce leading lines to your scene's point of interest.

Good luck, maybe I'll see you there. I wonder how many other polycounters will be there!
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @benji Omg I'm so happy to hear from someone else applying. Your work is spectacular, thanks for replying! It'd be great to see you there :D

I agree with all your crits and have tried to fix a few in the image below. Gonna work more on the lighting tomorrow!

street_scene__udk_updated_by_teenagephoenix-d4lfpkn.jpg
  • Oranghe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    full of life good job :D thanks for moving that building also haha :D:D
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha! That was just for you hun! I would move buildings for you!

Thankyou :)
  • ladyknowles
  • Sako
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    404 error on the video :( nice scene! as for me the shadowed area should cover more of the scene cause your sky has this pink tint - seems more like evening or morning than afternoon (according to your cuurrent light direction). yep, arabic ornaments, not european. why all of the windows are closed, would be nice to have some opened ones, me thinks :) keep up the good work, i should study hard to have your level of skills ;)
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    I'm getting a 404 on the video. Scene's looking great though! Very interesting choice of colors, has a nice charm. If you can get some shading at the bases of objects like the buildings and where it meets the floor it'll help ground it a bit more.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Those windows and doors are kinda letting the scene down, to be honest. It can be a pretty simple fix, though. Right now, the entire door/window is pushed off from the walls, which looks and feels wrong. It makes the scene feel more like a quickly-constructed facade for filming, rather than actual buildings.

Now, I know you're placing the doors/windows on the walls, as opposed to cutting, so you can't have them recede into the walls. What you can do, however, is provide the illusion of such.

windows.jpg

The middle face (selected red) is still offset from the actual wall, but the illusion of being inset is much easier to sell because of the extruded frame. The windows are potentially ok as is, but the doors could stand to use this treatment.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I had completely forgotten about these open days until I saw this thread last night so I applied last night and Im going to submit one of the characters off of my portfolio and hope. That they think that's good enough to offer me a spot :P Good luck guys :D
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I applied also so hope to see some polycounters there :)
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I work at Blitz atm, although as a character artist myself. Looking forward to seeing you guys down the pub on Monday night :D
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks also for the reminder XD, just sent my application. Hope you get finished in time ladyknowles! and good luck to everyone on their applications!
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Hey, nice little environment you got going here.

I think it could be improved a lot over this weekend to really show Blitz something.

At the moment it all looks really flat, flat floor, flat buildings, flat bg.

For the buildings people have suggested changing the windows which i agree with. But, give them some shelves under them with maybe a flower pot or something. Alot of these buildins in europe have railings as well over the windows. Agree with the aircons that that they need to come out more and have some supports. Put some pipes on the buildings and drains. Maybe make one of the buildings three flights of stairs. Aerials on the roofs. I like the cables but have more of them tonnes of them going all over the place. Maybe some with lights on. House number. A lamp on oneof them. These houses should all be varied.

For the floor maybe a curb on the left side of the scene and a drain somewhere, populate it a bit more. Alot of these sort of floors curve inwards.

For the background just get some really low poly houses maybe or just a few fake birds flying.
    Add some height fog.

I feel at the moment it is too saturated, may just be my personal prefrence when doing stuff but meh.

I remember when meeting some studios for the first time and being at uni, I worked allday to get the best possible work as you wont be the only one going, you will be competing with others.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow REPLIEZ! Thanks so much everyone for all your help, you Polycounters are pure gold!

I've waited to reply so I can show you that I've implemented at least some of your ideas. Here's the update:

street_scene__udk_updated2_by_teenagephoenix-d4lhmqd.jpg

-Added more cables etc.
    -Tried and failed to improve lighting
    -More dynamic shadows
    -Plant pots and shelves
    -Added depth to doors and windows
    -Improved height fog

@Sako Thanks so much :) I've tried to improve the shadows but I think they could be pushed further maybe...

@S2Engine Wow man, you work at Crystal Dynamics and you're saying you like my work?! *Dies of happiness* I know what you mean, I turned off ambient occlusion and lost the shading around the edges of the buildings, should I turn it back on again?

@Mathew O Glad I reminded you :) Hope I see you there!

@Bart Woo Bart I love your work, would love to meet you at the Open Day if I get to go!

@LoTekK Your idea was so simple but so amazing, I have tried to do exactly what you've said and I think it looks much better :D Thankyou for the all advice.

@Ikosan I love your work :D Would love to see you there too!

@Shiv No problem, good luck :D Not that you'll need it!

@Sharvo Thanks for the compliment, I love your work too. Your reply has been extremely helpful and I've tried to do some of the things you have recommended and will do more tonight!
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    That scene really came along really nice.

Good luck with your application everyone, I sent off one as well!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Lighting is getting better. . . And there are shadows! Critiques from me, so take them as you will.. The Flower Trim on the blue building is kind of jarring. The top and bottom of it has the texture all warped, also I can't imagine them making one long giant piece of trim of that. I'd imagined that being segmented or tiled. Also, the wires hanging on the buildings aren't going into anything..if you have time I'd make a hook or something it plants itself into..or at least hanging off the window sill. Also..one thing that seems odd is there isn't any exterior light fixtures. I'd imagined the people who live here have electricity by looking at the air conditioning unit..so I'd imagined they'd hang some bulbs on the side of their house or at least a street lamp. Doing that might give more interest on the buildings, or some cool contrast with the lighting if you are doing more of a dusk scene.

I know you are on a schedule so take it or leave my suggestions.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    It's hard sometimes to get the right lighting. The lighting you had a the begining was more contrasty than your last one, but lacked ambient/fog, now it's the opposite.

temp5.jpg

I did a paintover here, I made levels on the picture to increase contrast, then a very light sepia photofilter to move the colorspace of the picture to something more uniform, then painted some quick AO in and more edge highlights on roof edges and wall corners, to convey better sense of volumes. In the end pushed the sky's bloom to make it stand more and justify why the scene is bright looking.

It's not perfect and it might only reflect where I would take this scene if it was me, so feel free to tear it to bits.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies peoples!

@ErichWK Of course I'll do everything you've said :D I totally agree with everything you've said, especially about the outdoor lights. Might be a job for tomorrow though, since I have piles of actual university work to do!

@Wesley Thanks man, means a lot! Hope to see you there.

@ParoXum OMG! I am sitting here gobsmacked! That looks so much better I can't believe it! I will try and replicate this in UDK but might find it a bit hard, it's the first time I've done this much with lighting!

Was just going to ask people, what do people think I have in terms of chance with this Blitz thing? I only started modelling/using Maya last September and using UDK in bout October/November, so I have no idea about these things. It's a bit nerve wrecking actually. Does my scene actually look like something acceptable? I won't get laughed at will I?! Hah! :poly122:
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't really have any critiques other than what has already been said, just wanted to say that it's always great to see someone actually accepting advice and implementing critiques. Even with the short amount of time you have you've managed to improve the scene drastically by simply being open to criticism. That's definitely the right attitude to have, and it encourages more people to give their input since they know it won't go to waste.

Now that I think about it, I really like ParoXum's paint over, but I miss the warm lighting from your first post. Maybe you could find a way to combine the two.

Awesome work, keep it up.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sean VanGorder Thank you :) I've heard a lot of stories about how being polite and taking advice in good places like Polycount is good for everyone and all this advice is invaluable. I'm glad I'm responding right and thanks for saying my work is awesome, I love yours too! :D

Updated the lighting a bit, added some buildings into the background and changed the cables! :thumbup:

street_scene__udk_updated2_by_teenagephoenix-d4lie2g.jpg
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Are the windows textures stretched on the elft? the white building white windows.

Also, might want to move the cable from inside the cloth on the line at the front, should be a quick fix.

Door on the right in the foreground, bring the sides in a bit on the texture, the edge of the frame is currently hidden. kinda looks off to me. I think the same issue is on the background one of the same style but cant see it from this distance so it shouldnt matter.
    Hope that made sense :x
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Shiv!

So it's 3am, and I said I was gonna stop at 7pm. That didn't work out!

I tried to implement what you said Shiv but you can't really see here. This is what I'm thinking of sending to Blitz. I have LOADS of uni work to do and I would love to spend the whole weekend on this, but I don't want to fail my modules at uni.

yi9eh.jpg
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're probably finished updating this for Blitz, but if you have time later to polish it out there are a couple things I can see. For the AO, I don't recommend relying on UDK's SSAO. You could instead potentially bake it into your verts in Maya and with enough geometry get some really nice results. If you have the poly budget, I'd say you can model out the AC units a tiny bit more with a tapered cylinder to set the fanblade into. Anywhere you can similarly break the boxy lowpoly silhouette will help I think. Great work!
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    This great, I think you'll be fine :) there's always something to improve :P Good luck!
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks S2Engine and Mathew O! I totally agree with you about the ambient occlusion and the air con unit, and I REALLY want to fix it but I need to do my uni work as its an important module and I've spent 3 days straight doing this. I wish, so much, I had more time to implement everyones suggestions because it's all pure gold in terms of advice!

Anyway, here's the texture and wireframe sheets I'm going to send!

street_scene_wireframes_by_teenagephoenix-d4lkqgi.jpg

street_scene__udk_textures_by_teenagephoenix-d4lkqm4.jpg
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    u do realize a chinese poster and an english-reading crate box isnt actually mediterranean per-se, but hey... what ever :) came out really nice at the end
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That did occur to me...See when I made the original textures I was just follwing the modular asset tutorial, and didn't know where this was going...So, yes a big mistake on my part should have changed them.

Learnt a good lesson: Follow a concept and plan what I'm gonna do before hand!!

Thanks Shotgun for saying you like it! :D
  • Sako
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great progress on the scene! Awesome and colourful, also i think mediterranians will like imported apples anyway)
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sako Thankyou Sako, I wish I could just work on it for weeks. Funny, my Games Design Degree is actually getting in the way of work that might actually get me a job.

And yes, I imagine the kind of badass villagers who live in this town would like their Apples from a different country :)
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    I agree that you have made some great progress.
    Your most recent update is a bit blown out. Pull back on the brightness of the sun just a tad.
    I am not a huge fan of the AC units. They feel a tad out of place. The windows feel a bit arbitrarily placed. Even when people are building things they still have a tendency to align windows, doors, AC units...

Couple of things you might want to consider. The places where the ground and wall meet, meet extremely suddenly. Generally there is dirt built up at the base of the wall. Also on 3dmotive there is a tutorial on Vertex Blending materials in UDK. If you were to do that you could go in a paint dirt where ever you want. Also maybe look into how to apply decals. Then you could do grunge decals and really make this environment a lot less... CG?

The last thing and this is nit picking a little. lol Your flags/cloths are pretty much the same. You could have textured one white on a way smaller texture and then in UDK you just take the diffuse node and use a Multiply node and a Constant 3 Vector node to change the color of each one.

lol just seems like a lot of texture for the flags for not much variation.

Like I said you have made some killer progress. Keep up the amazing work ethics. :)
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jeremiah_bigley I tried to follow the vertex painting tutorial and my head was like this:

Exploding-head.gif

I think I'll have to read up on it a bit more. I am extremely intimidated by all the nodes etc.

I agree with all your advice. I think the first chance I get I'll go through this whole thread and implement everyone everythings said. I think the biggest problems are definately the AC units and where the buildings meet the floor.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, i like your colours :). If you still are looking for some crit, (or just some advice for future projects) I'd say the placement of the 'features' of the building is off in relation to the brickwork. The height/width of window frames/doors is usually dictated by human proportions (ie a modern doorframe is almost always 6'8" tall) and is a constant. Window frames are usually a set height as well. This is then all worked out by the fact building materials such as bricks have a set height/width when they come out the quarry. You have some areas where window frames start halfway up a line of bricks, meaning the builder would have had to waste a line of bricks by cutting them in half to fill in the gap. I'd look at some ref of the building types you have, count how many bricks there are till you get to the hight of a door (and how many across) and use 'number of bricks' as a guide to where the building features go. On top of this the building on the left the brickwork is 'offset' and a little bit higher on the side of the wall than it is on the front of the building, the building on the right looks like its made of the same material but the bricks look slightly bigger on it. The window frames a on both building also look like they would have come from the same manufacturer but are different sizes. Hope this helps:) all this relentless measuring will really make your scene sit right.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    @jeremiah_bigley I tried to follow the vertex painting tutorial and my head was like this:

Exploding-head.gif

Lmao! yeah I know what you mean... I learned how to use the udk material editor from that tutorial. I spent probably a week watching it over and over. Even if you got the very basic of it... you could do something with it.

Really all you need to know is 2 diffuses in a lerp node > mask by vertex color. That will let you paint 2 different diffuses.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ikosan Wow man thank you I've never thought of it like that before, yeah! That's some really good tips right there. Plus I never even noticed how much the windows were different sizes...that's making me cringe now!! Haha!

@jeremiah_bigley Haha yup I think I was already doing the wrong thing by using 'texture sample' instead of the Param2d one. I'm back at uni next week and one of my lecturers is a UDK master, I'm going to pick his brain over this and watch that video 700 more times.

I was just wondering what you guys think my chances are on getting in the Blitz Open day? I'm going to go mad until the 24th when we find out! First time I'm ever done something like this if you don't count when I got my internship!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    shotgun wrote: »
    u do realize a chinese poster

That's Korean ;) and there are plenty of Koreans here in Dublin (Ireland, Europe)! :)

Really nice work Knowles, I dig the palette and the dimensionality of the buildings! Best of luck getting the placement.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    That's Korean ;) and there are plenty of Koreans here in Dublin (Ireland, Europe)! :)

Really nice work Knowles, I dig the palette and the dimensionality of the buildings! Best of luck getting the placement.

Hahaha It's Korean? I wonder what it says. Hope it's not like an advert for a brothel or something and the guy whose looking at my work knows Korean...

Thanks for the compliments, makes me feel great :D It's not for a placement, unfortunately, just an open day.

EDIT: Are you irish? I have a weak spot for Irish Accents... :icon15:
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14

I was just wondering what you guys think my chances are on getting in the Blitz Open day? I'm going to go mad until the 24th when we find out! First time I'm ever done something like this if you don't count when I got my internship!

I was at last years one and I think that with the work that you have turned out you really shouldn't have a problem....there are still the vagaries of chance in the mix, but you are well on track for the standard that I saw.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. wrote: »
    I was at last years one and I think that with the work that you have turned out you really shouldn't have a problem....there are still the vagaries of chance in the mix, but you are well on track for the standard that I saw.

Wow that's great to hear Seth, thanks so much for telling me :D How was the day? I should probably start a thread about this...
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    No worries, its worth bearing in mind that I'm not on the selection pannel though, so I dont know what the exact criteria are before I get your hopes up too much:)

It was great to see how a dev studio actually operated for the first time, and the portfolio crit was very helpful too. Try not to slag off TIGA to Philip Oliver without first understanding who Philip Oliver is...(one guy did, bless him.....cringeworthy moment :D) It wasn't the best day ever for a couple of factors, but I think thats down to personal preference....all in it was a worthwhile experience and useful prep for getting the elusive first gig in the industry.
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're having trouble digesting the vertex paint stuff, this might be a good starting point:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFDMFDOu474"]Master Material Construction Part 1 of 5 - YouTube[/ame]

(part 1, watch all 5 of course :poly124:)
    It's a lot of info to take in and keep track of, so I'd recommend keeping notes as you go along. By the end of it though you should have a much firmer grasp of the material editor and how some of the nodes and setups work.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine, thou art my saviour. I shall digest (not literally) these videos tomorrow. I really want to get my head around the vertex painting because it seems so useful and could make the scene look so much better.

@seth. Haha! Seth don't worry, I know you're not on the selection panel :) Sounds great, hope I do get there!

A bit off topic here, but I've updated my portfolio tonight, made it more geared towards environment art, if anyone wants to take a look. As you can tell, I am extremely open about critisisms and won't get all weepy if you rip me to shit! Remember I'm only in my second year at university though!! No where near looking for one of those job things yet...

k6r7b.jpg
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Any of you guys who applied for the open day - see this thread :)
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    I'm sure you'll have a chance. I went on the Blitz open day and the quality of some of the people's work was much lower quality than what you have here.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ha ha the poster is for an adult show/adult nightclub and is indeed korean:)