Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Raptor love

I was working on this velocirator a while back for a school project, and now Im about to revisit it to improve it. So I would LOVE some feedback on all the things I can make better.

Its now about 9,7k tris, and Im hoping to reduce that. Its using a 1024 and a 256 for textures. Renders are Maya viewport.

New image:
wip01g.jpg

Old iamges

dinopose01.jpg
dinopose02.jpg
dinowire01.jpg

Replies

• BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One quick thing where is the tongue? Its looking good :)
  • Tom Pritchard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd reduce the specular, it makes her seem slimy! Other than that, as Ben said, I'd add a tongue. Other than that, I like the topology, she's looking good!
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Nice topology, but she can be optimised alot more too. There's few too many loops in the tail, inside the mouth can easily be reduced.

Looks good though and no complaints at some raptor love-in, grew up watching Jurassic park ;D
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Sorry that this may sound a bit harsh, but what did you base the raptor on? it doesn't look anything like a velocirator (pretty much like the Jurassic Park raptors don't look like velociraptors at all), the shapes are just wrong, the only thing which is really "raptoresque" is the big toe claw. So if its more like a beast based on a raptor, like in jurassic park, just a cool critter for the audience - then nevermind my post :)

otherwise here are a few pointers:

velociraptor-skull-base-sm.jpg

Velociraptor-skull-Bruckmann-900L.jpg
    velociraptor_skelett.jpg
    Velociraptor_skeleton.gif
    Velociraptor_skeleton.jpg
    also i assume its the velociraptor mongoliensis, so if you took different ref of another species (or other artists, as its all reconstructions of bone fragments so it can't be 100% correct) nevermind as well ^^
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    This thread promised love. I see none.
  • Sorken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys, it helped me loads.
    Ive added a tounge, tweaked the spec reduced the body by about 35%.
    Also i added a small scene around him to give him context, all in all it is about 10k tris.

Neox: I'd say this is more a hybrid of 'Jurassic park rapotors' and Utah Rapotor then a true velociraptor. I should have explained that in my first post, my bad.

wip03g.jpg

wip04.jpg

wip05.jpg

And a bit of love for
    BlvdNights:

lovedino2.jpg
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    Looks amazing. Though I'd like to see some more scarring and wounds to make it more interesting. Also maybe tone down the whiteness and cleanliness of the teeth, and make them look more "chewed up".

Keep up ze good work.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I always get a malware warning when I try to open this thread, weird...

That's a cute little raptor, but I'd expect them to be a little bit more.. shiny! :)