Home Technical Talk

How to enlarge multiple subtools ?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello , first of all sorry for all my questioning about Zbrush , but I am learning it and I am very new to it :) ....

now my next question is how do I enlarge multiple subtools together without breanking the symetry and the shape ?

like in this picture of this thing I have been doing how do I do to enlarge the small leather / metal stripes that keep the central dragonswan plaque?

I want ofcourse them to be stitched to the belt still but just larger placed ...

updae2.jpg

Thanks for any help :) ...

Replies

• cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    It would probably be quick to temporarily merge them together, then scale / use a deform to change the size
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Erm ... how do I merge them ? :poly102:
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    In the SubTool Subpalette, you can merge down (which may require you to change the order of subtools, which you can also do there using the arrow buttons) and merge visible, similar to merging layers in Photoshop (there's a newer option to merge similar, which might even work well in this case and save you a few extra seconds).
  • dtschultz
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    I so wish you could parent subtools, so you could scale multiple subtools without merging them. It becomes a major pain in the ass when they are too large (in terms of polys) to merge into one subtool.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    A hierarchy would be nice, or groups similar to photoshop. In the meantime I try to work out the scale and placement of subtools in the early stages, before they start reaching millions of polygons each.

I was hoping to update their wiki on the page since it's quite a few years old now, but I guess it is locked due to spammers or something : /
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Thankyu , btw is there a way when I enlarge on a side tomake it follow somehow the surface of the other mesh under? some sort of path linking?
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    One way to do it, but you won't be able to scale individual axis.

Scaling each subtool individually.

1. Select subtool
    2. Go to Tool>Deformation>Size (remembering how much you scaled it by)
    3. Select next subtool and repeat, etc

You'll need to reposition each tool as well as it'll scale from the world origin. Might help, might not.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    btw is there a way when I enlarge on a side tomake it follow somehow the surface of the other mesh under? some sort of path linking?
    After you scale it, you could give it a quick pass or two with the Matchmaker Brush.
    matchmaker.gif

The straps should be simple enough that I can't see it causing too much cleanup work. Just maybe hide a few tools when you're doing so so that you're left with just the mesh you want to deform, and the mesh that you want it to deform to. Transpose and the move brush (perhaps elastic) can hepl further tweak the result.