Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Flying Insect

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
dreatern polycounter lvl 6
Hello Everyone!
This is my first post here, i follow the forum for a while, but never posted anything.
My english is not so good, i am sure the text will be full of errors :( I'm sorry

Well, i do not have much experience with modeling, texture and especially with game art but it is something i like.
I use zbrush (learning) and sometimes i do some sculpting with real clay.
I created a flying insect in zbrush to try to make a low poly version, bake maps and display in the 3ds max viewport (im using Xoliul Shader *I LOVE IT*)

this is still WIP
I'm having problems with specular, still not sure how to set a good specular and gloss. I've read quite a lot about and understand the process but i'm having difficult in practice.
but I'm trying to solve this by trying different things and training

My workflow
-High Poly Zbrush (I started with ZSpheres in ZBrush, i think it is more intuitive to start with high)
-Retopo(low) and UV 3ds max
-XNormal (normal, polypaint to tex, cavity, AO)

I'll put some screens here and i hope to receive some criticism :D

Low version with 2831 tris

this was the rough sketch (the notes are in portuguese)
rabisco_inseto.jpg

zbrush wips
mosquito-wip.jpg

mosquito-wip2.jpg

Pose test
mosquito-wip2b.jpg

polypaint wip
insectpaintwip.jpg

Low poly max viewport with Xoliul Shader

realtime_max_viewport.jpg

maps
(I want an iridescence effect on the wings and also in the eyes. I used the gloss map to give that effect, but do not know if that's how it is done)

maps.jpg

Replies

• dreatern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got the free version of unity and put the model there, but it appears totally different from the max viewport.
    Is there a shader that allows you to use diffuse, normal, specular and gloss and more maps if possible just for presentation?
    There is a global glossiness control that applies to all model but does not allow me to put a map :(

I do not know coding, I found a script to move the camera and tried to create a model viewer. without shadows because i'm using the free version.
    Link here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22781761/3dviewer/flyinginsect/WebPlayer.html
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Model is looking really solid. My only real critiques I have are that you could probably use mirrored UVs for the whole model and optimize your texture space rather than having unique texture space for the whole model.

Second is you're going to want to plug that iridescence into your specular, not the gloss map. Also, black and white spec will only get you so far, take a look at this wonderful article to give your bug that extra oomph. Brief Considerations About Materials
  • dreatern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Model is looking really solid. My only real critiques I have are that you could probably use mirrored UVs for the whole model and optimize your texture space rather than having unique texture space for the whole model.

Second is you're going to want to plug that iridescence into your specular, not the gloss map. Also, black and white spec will only get you so far, take a look at this wonderful article to give your bug that extra oomph. Brief Considerations About Materials

Thanks! This article is really good

I remade the UVs i believe now it is a little better. also redid the specular.
    I think i managed to set the specular of each material. the hull now is more opaque, the abdomen has a higher brightness as the surface is smoother and stretched. I also put some fur
    The wings are to be done

Viewport
    realtime_max_viewport_v2.jpg

new uvs/maps
    maps_v2.jpg
  • dreatern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I'll call it the final version...
    I know I could do more things but i'm learning, i'll start doing something else :)

Here the realtime version in unity web player http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22781761/3dviewer/flyinginsect/WebPlayer.html
    I created two shaders to be more or less like the 3ds max viewport

insect_lowpoly.jpg