Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Axe-Feedback wanted!

Hey everyone! I've finally found the time to dive in to the world of 3D stuff, and I have to say it can be more than a little overwhelming! Anyhow, I've completed my first model in Maya and would love some feedback.

tumblr_lwzbn1HoPu1r58tp7o1_r1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1325299077&Signature=aLjLe87KRsdJ7zXR7wtW%2Fj8EN6s%3D

Replies

• beta_channel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beta_channel polycounter lvl 7
    A couple of questions. Are you going for lowpoly game stuff or highpoly movie/cinematic stuffs? If this is your first model that's pretty good. The rendering leaves something to be desired as it looks flat and you're not using your lights to help showcase your model. Lighting is in art in itself. Your metal material is okay and adding the bump details are nice but they don't really make any sense in how they are applied. Are they supposed to be runes/etchings in the metal? Do they serve a purpose? Or is that supposed to be wear and tear from use? If it is, it isn't in any reasonable location.

Is the blade and the metal the exact same or is there a sharped edge on the ax? Look at a knife...any knift, the cutting edge looks different than the rest of the blade.

Anyway, enough CnC for one night. Again, for a first model, this is very nice. Better than my first attempts in 3D. Keep at it.
  • stephonatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah my bad. I guess I should give more details. TBH i wasn't really thinking very much when I started this, but I think I was going more for highpoly movie/cinematic stuff. The details are just sort of magical rune things.

I had a lot of trouble with the lighting. I'm going to look for tutorials or something so that I can at least do it decently. Any tips would be great!