Home General Discussion

Time for a new LCD/LED Screen

Replies

• TeZzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeZzy polycounter lvl 12
    haha yea, I will keep my fingers crossed until I receive and open the box to make sure everything is all good.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ordered the u2312h, it should be arriving tomorrow according to my email inbox...

SQUEE!!!

edit:
    since i don't have access to, or can afford to buy any hardware photometers, would it be advisable to simply download the ICC profile that they created here? http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2312hm.htm

since that profile was created using professional expensive hardware and the like... it's likely to be far better than i can create by manual tweaking on my end, right?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    ordered the u2312h, it should be arriving tomorrow according to my email inbox...

SQUEE!!!

edit:
    since i don't have access to, or can afford to buy any hardware photometers, would it be advisable to simply download the ICC profile that they created here? http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2312hm.htm

since that profile was created using professional expensive hardware and the like... it's likely to be far better than i can create by manual tweaking on my end, right?

Each monitor and panel have different color and brightness traits, one profile is not going to be perfect for every monitor, even if they are the same model.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    but it's certainly a good starting point, right?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    just arrived, it's glooooorious :P
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
  • TeZzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeZzy polycounter lvl 12
    got my u2412m monitors and like almighty_gir says, it's glooooorious!

but how unlucky to have a dead/stuck pixel on the 2nd one. But under the warranty I should be able to get a replacement, just hope it's not a refurbished unit since they have a shitload of u2412m's in stock.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    In my experience, they won't replace a screen based on a single dead/stuck pixel, they will only do so if a certain percentage of the screen's pixels are dead/stuck.
  • TeZzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeZzy polycounter lvl 12
    Yea, I don't know if they would or not. But the talked to one of the tech support and he said to take a photo and send it to him even though I said it was 1 or 2 pixels that are defective. Sounds like I can get a new replacement, who knows. But what made me go wtf was that warranties are meant to give you a peace of mind but the way it works with dell is that if I use the warranty to get a replacement I might end up getting one more fucked than the one I have and can't replace it unless there is 5 or more dead/stuck pixels. It's like a gamble which is bull. Dell warranties are incredibly vague which doesn't help.

Though, I will try to get a replacement and see if it is worse, if so I guess I will have to use the consumer guarantees act on their ass in hopes they will replace it again until I am happy.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've read stories of people that just keep swapping monitors until they get one they like. It takes up a lot of time though. Good luck with your replacement.
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe try this to unstuck that pixel. could work :P
    http://www.flexcode.org/lcd2.html

ok this may just be for stuck pixels and not dead ones.. :(
  • TeZzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeZzy polycounter lvl 12
    yea, looks like the one I have is a dead one, doesn't change colour and doesn't seem to emit any light at all.

My dealings with Dell has pretty much been an up hill battle before I purchased the monitors and looks like after the purchase I will have to continue fighting to sort this issue out too.

Then again, on the bright side, I got 2 monitors for less than the price of one which was a huge bargain worth fighting for :)
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I have both the 2410 and the 2412m at work. Aside from some need of calibration for colour consistency, I can vouch for the cheaper 2412m to be quite excellent.

The 2410 is a better panel and has more features and inputs but for some people it's hardly worth the $100+ premium. If you can get a deal on the more expensive one, get the 2410 it's a world class display. Otherwise get the 2412m, it's nearly as good.

Dell has regular sales so keep and eye out!
  • TeZzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeZzy polycounter lvl 12
    ha! sorted, the first guy I spoke to gave me really poor info. In short he was useless. I then spoke to another dell consultant and he properly explained that if there are any defective pixels, dell will replace a new unit until it is resolved. Of course once you are happy with it and then a few months down the line, you get defective pixels again....they will replace the panels(probably refurbished) but only if it is 5 and above.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Fuse: Features and build quality aside, did you encounter a notable difference in display/color quality from the e-IPS of the 2412 and the H-IPS panel from the 2410?
    I'd love to get me some u24xx action, but I'm quite torn about the price differences.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Nah. It's hard to really tell.. We aren't really working in print media where colour accuracy is that much more important. As long as you calibrate them with a Spyder or something you're good to go.

If you are price conscious get the cheaper 2412m and you wont be disappointed, it's a premium ips panel.
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pinkbox wrote: »
    maybe try this to unstuck that pixel. could work :P
    http://www.flexcode.org/lcd2.html

ok this may just be for stuck pixels and not dead ones.. :(
    the "fix my screen" button makes this Dell P2210 make some weird noises. tested it on a coworker's screen, same noises. strange.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i own a dell 2209w (which is a 22") and am very pleased with it.

however!
    about 2 years now since i bought i start getting these darker patches right at the bottom of the screen. Dunno why and it doesn't really bother me but it's something i thought worth mentioning.
  • schneller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schneller polygon
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm curious for those that bought the 2412m, did you go through Dell's website or a reseller? I see Amazon has them for about $40 cheaper (and I plan on going dual), so that saves a nice chuck of change.

My only worry was that it seems some who purchased non-directly had some customer service/warranty issues.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    schneller wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm curious for those that bought the 2412m, did you go through Dell's website or a reseller? I see Amazon has them for about $40 cheaper (and I plan on going dual), so that saves a nice chuck of change.

My only worry was that it seems some who purchased non-directly had some customer service/warranty issues.

i ordered directly through Dell, but it was at a point when they had an uber discount going on and nothing could even touch it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i ordered directly through Dell, but it was at a point when they had an uber discount going on and nothing could even touch it.

Yeah, same with my 2408wfp, usually dell has really nice sales if you wait for it. That said, as long as you buy from a legit dealer you *should* be ok. Like Amazon, or major retailers through amazon, but maybe not small/unknown 3rd party dealers?