Home Technical Talk

[Maya] froTools : a maya toolset for working faster

Replies

• Froyok
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    Sweet! Thank you for this amazing tool and for updating it regularly! I use it pretty much every day and it has saved me a lot of time, especially the "Align" and "Mirror" functions.
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
    So awesome!!! I totally love it :D One question tho. Is there a script that allows you to set constraints of a component to move it along a certain normal direction like in Max(ie moving a vert along an edge )
    2re14k2.png
    I know in Maya you can certainly select the edge you want your manipulator to face etc but it can get really annoying and it is just not as flexible as in MAX. :D
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    So awesome!!! I totally love it :D One question tho. Is there a script that allows you to set constraints of a component to move it along a certain normal direction like in Max(ie moving a vert along an edge )
    2re14k2.png
    I know in Maya you can certainly select the edge you want your manipulator to face etc but it can get really annoying and it is just not as flexible as in MAX. :D
    Can you provide a gif/video to show it in action ? It would help me to understand how it works (I don't have Max so I can't test it myself).
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
    Froyok wrote: »
    Can you provide a gif/video to show it in action ? It would help me to understand how it works (I don't have Max so I can't test it myself).

Yes here is a quick video I made :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKTXTgDvmcA&feature=youtu.be
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Thanks !
    I see now what you are talking about. Maya have something similar, but only for edges (see the slide edge tool). Maybe scripting something is possible. I will look into it.
  • chenguan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi there, beeing using this set of tools for some time now. they great.just a little problem,is there a way to integrate the repeat hotkey (g).some tools i use a lot of time in repeat, but they need to be activated from the maya menus.
    or maybe im making something wrong.
    and a litte requet in help, i use it in a marking menu ( a floating window, not docked)but when i close it and open it again the window always pop in the first place i source it.(my right corner.any way to make it pop always in last place i close it.many thxs for your work
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Some tools work with the G key, but not all. I didn't take the time to make every tool/function usable with the G key. Do you have some particular requests ?

If you want to keep the window in the same place you will have to remove those two lines :
    if (`windowPref -exists froWindow3`)  
                windowPref -remove froWindow3;

(I use them because sometimes when the window is called and docked, some wrong sizes are used, so i force the suppression of the preferences for my script.)
  • chenguan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok many thxs for the quick reply,love your work.
    the repeat keys i will need to see later i test some now and most work;P

i deleted those 2 lines and windows still pop in top righ corner.

you can see if i made all right

global proc froTools3()
    {
    // if Window exists already delete it, so you cant call multiple windows
    if (`window -exists froWindow3`)
    {
    deleteUI froWindow3;

float $mayaVersion = `getApplicationVersionAsFloat`;
    float $mayaVersionRequired = 2011;

//temp selector vars
    global string $tempSelector[];
    global string $tempLastType;

//window settigns
    int $floating = 1; // 0=docked 1=floating
    string $defaultDockArea = "right"; // "top", "left", "bottom", "right";
    global string $frotitle;
    $frotitle = "froTools 3.2.5";
    string $dock = "dockfroTools";
    int $winw = 202 + 16;
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I just tested it myself and I found the source of the problem.
    I will fix it in the next update, but currently you will have to change the code again.

Replace this :
    if( $mayaVersion >= $mayaVersionRequired )
        {
            //show the window with dock control
            dockControl
                -area            $defaultDockArea
                -floating        $floating
                -content        froWindow3
                -allowedArea    "left"
                -allowedArea    "right"
                -label            $frotitle
                $dock;
        }
        else
        {

//show the window with the old system
            showWindow froWindow3;
            window -e -height 600 froWindow3;
        }

With this :
    showWindow froWindow3;
            window -e -height 600 froWindow3;

• chenguan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    now working great, always stay in same place even when restaring maya.great.
    the toll i remenber now dosent work with g is the Append polygon tool . the one yous elect the edge and make the others 2 points.maybe is tool limitation.
    will keep a eye for next updates.
    good night and thanks

ps:i remember to ask in your blog about a show hide command but maybe its mel limitation right.the new tool modeling in maya 2014 works great with hide/show in floating window.both tools side by side are great
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Indeed, I forgot to add the G key on the append polygon tool. I will fix it for the next update.

Notice that you can use this tool without leaving it. When you want to valid a face, just use "Y" instead of "Enter", the face will be created and you will stay inside the tool. ;)
  • chenguan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    y works just fine and as expected thxs .
  • mariomanzanares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mariomanzanares polycounter lvl 5
    Is it working on mac?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    No idea sorry, I don't own a mac so I can't test myself.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    i cant test either but iirc this froyoks tools are pure mel, so it really shouldnt matter what OS, just as long as you got a recentish version of maya
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Hmm, 80/90% of them should work, however some functions use some DOS commands, which don't exist on a Mac.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, 80/90% of them should work, however some functions use some DOS commands, which don't exist on a Mac.

which commands are this, python alternatives to dos commands could prolly be implemented
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I use the start command (to launch photoshop) and the wmic command (to get the screen resolution).
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah ya no way around that, ya i do all my maya and PS integration with python and the comtypes module, but that also only works on windows too.

only real way would be to detect the OS, and run bash commands on Linux and Mac, and dos commands or using the com interface on windows.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    What happen to the Quad vertex extrude?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isn't that a froretopo feature not frotools?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    The froRetopo and the froTools globally use the same code, but are not triggered the same way. In froRetopo it's integrated in the "Quad tool". For the froTools the function can be launched with the shortcut (CTRL+D in the Settings tab).

If you want to launch the command only at specific times, create a shelf button with this command :
    froToolsExtrudeVertex; repeatLast -ac "froToolsExtrudeVertex;" -acl "Quad extrude";

(This code will allow you to relaunch the function with the "G" Key by the way.)

I removed the icon because I needed some space for other tools. Since it's integrated with a specific shortcut I thought it wouldn't be a problem.
  • YodadaJew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im having a wierd bug/feature whit ur tool, somehow its mirroring my selection how can i disable this? nox1Hza.png
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    YodadaJew wrote: »
    Im having a wierd bug/feature whit ur tool, somehow its mirroring my selection how can i disable this? [IMG*]http://i.imgur.com/nox1Hza.png[/IMG]

It's not a problem from the froTools, you simply activated the "Reflexion" parameter from the tool settings :

1375921477-maya_reflexion.gif
  • YodadaJew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not a problem from the froTools, you simply activated the "Reflexion" parameter from the tool settings :

1375921477-maya_reflexion.gif

Sigh, i feel like such an idiot sorry. Still pretty new to all this dint even know there was a function like this again thanks for helping me out!
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does it still work with Maya 2014? I'm going nuts over copy/pasting the file into all possible locations and still getting the error where Maya cannot find the file. I placed it exactly as in the txt file and added the user file as prescribed. However, Maya 2014 refuses to locate the script no matter where I put it.

Unless I have to put different parts of the folder into different target folders, I am out of ideas and need help. Does it still work with Maya 2014 and can someone confirm their installation path and script (does the shelf button work/does Maya 2014 find it)?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    It should works without any problems with Maya 2014. I tested the script several times and I know other people that work with too under this version.

Could you give me a bit more details about you installation ? Where you put the files ?
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, Frojok himself :) First of all thanks for making + compiling the scripts! I've been looking for a way to color UV shells for some time now and yours is the only program that does it for Maya (+tons of other things I'll have to learn about). Great stuff!

Now, my original installation path was:

C: \Users\***\Documents\maya\2014-x64

I just unpacked the content from the RAR there, as was described in the instructions. I already wondered if Maya would read through all the folders, until it reaches /prefs/scripts/icons, for example. -> Didn't work.

I put it into these:

C: \Users\***\Documents\maya\2014-x64\scripts\froTools3
    C: \Users\***\Documents\maya\2014-x64\scripts\prefs\icons

This works now and I have a Tab on the right (below Attribute Editor) with Frotools docked there. One thing I did though - I already had a userSetup.mel file, from using the FB Poly planar plugin. I just added your line (eval("froTools3");) to it. Because they are both working, I assume that was okay. I really know close to nothing about what breaks these files. I'm just happy it works! Thanks for the quick feedback and the awesome tool!
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Hey Froyok,

I've been using Maya for a little under a year. This is going to help me a great deal!
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Fell free to ask for features !
    I'm currently working on the 3.3 version wich will bring a lot of new tools such as :

-Controls and manipulations of object Pivots
    -A mesh analyzer (vertex count for game engine, materials information, and so on...)
    -And a lot of bug fixes...

Sinking wrote: »
    Ah, Frojok himself :) First of all thanks for making + compiling the scripts! I've been looking for a way to color UV shells for some time now and yours is the only program that does it for Maya (+tons of other things I'll have to learn about). Great stuff!

[...]

I'm just happy it works! Thanks for the quick feedback and the awesome tool!

I'm glad you got it working. :)

Regarding the UV color shells, be careful with it. It's not perfect because Maya has some problems and create some bleeding on the UVs islands. You will probably have to refine the color a bit (with an editing of the levels for example) in your texturing application.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    So i have downloaded it,too. Looks great ! :)
    I don´t have read the whole thread, but is it possible with this little helper to avoid normalmap bugs?

Gazu
  • Mayalicious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mayalicious polycounter lvl 8
    Froyok can you make something like this?

activegrid.gif

Thanks.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Gazu wrote: »
    So i have downloaded it,too. Looks great ! :)
    I don´t have read the whole thread, but is it possible with this little helper to avoid normalmap bugs?

Gazu
    Your question doesn't make sense, could you explain what you mean ?
    Froyok can you make something like this?

You would like some sort of custom grids ?
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    I mean:
    Can i control my Normals so, that i can solve the biggest normal probs with this tool?
    Like UV Seams or wrong Smoothing.

Thx
  • Mayalicious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your question doesn't make sense, could you explain what you mean ?

You would like some sort of custom grids ?

Yes. It is also the most powerful thing in modo. Aligning the grid to a face, edge, vertex selection. Check it out;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeiNQ-RoIJ0"]modo quick tip: using the workplane - YouTube[/ame]
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    you could always use in maya the move to edge, face, vertex, its on the marking menus. Press W and hold, go to axis and set to face... that would be the same thing. It just doesnt show the grid
  • Mayalicious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo wrote: »
    you could always use in maya the move to edge, face, vertex, its on the marking menus. Press W and hold, go to axis and set to face... that would be the same thing. It just doesnt show the grid

Lol no man. It is of course not the same thing. Look at the modo video that i posted. You can create your new objects on that new grid. Also look at the rappatools gif i posted from 3dsmax. It drops the models to the newly created grid easily. There is no feature like this in Maya.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Yes. It is also the most powerful thing in modo. Aligning the grid to a face, edge, vertex selection. Check it out;

modo quick tip: using the workplane - YouTube
    Lol no man. It is of course not the same thing. Look at the modo video that i posted. You can create your new objects on that new grid. Also look at the rappatools gif i posted from 3dsmax. It drops the models to the newly created grid easily. There is no feature like this in Maya.

I see. If I remember correctly Maya has a system that allow the user to create new grids. I will see if there is a way to simplify the setup (and make it works with edges, faces and so on).

Gazu wrote: »
    I mean:
    Can i control my Normals so, that i can solve the biggest normal probs with this tool?
    Like UV Seams or wrong Smoothing.

Thx

There are some tools that helps tweaking your vertex normals for specific cases, other than that it's just shortcuts for the default maya tools. What you are asking here is very common and already handle by the default Maya tools.
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, your tools rock! I have just been starting to use them in my regular workflow and I prefer almost everything over the standard solutions. For a lot of things your tools do with one button press I don't even know (if there is) the standard solution!

I can't wait for the next version and wonder what you might have fixed (maybe the color bleeding across some UV shells?). So far it's been a huge help, starting with organizing and coloring uvs down to remembering my selections and switching between vertex, edge, polygon. And lots, lots more. I am still exploring everything I can do. Massive thanks from me!
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I'm glad you like it ! :)

The UV shell coloring is really not finished and I didn't touched it since the initial version. I don't think I will have the time to fix it. At least not for the next update.
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    Really awesome toolset this is going to help me a lot! Thanks Froyok!
  • Mayalicious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does fro tools work with Maya 2015? Thanks.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Does fro tools work with Maya 2015? Thanks.
    I'm sorry but I have no idea since I don't own this version. I encourage you to try since my tools only rely on the mel scripting, it should world without problems. Unfortunately I can't be certain.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    I'm currently getting this error when trying to use the FBX exporter in Maya 2014.

// Warning: file: C:/Users/L.Annunziata/Documents/maya/2014-x64/scripts/froTools3.mel line 4936: Converting string "2014.0.1" to a float value of 2014. //
    // Error: FBXReferencedContainersContent is now deprecated. Use FBXExportReferencedAssetsContent. //
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    darbeenbo wrote: »
    I'm currently getting this error when trying to use the FBX exporter in Maya 2014.

// Warning: file: C:/Users/L.Annunziata/Documents/maya/2014-x64/scripts/froTools3.mel line 4936: Converting string "2014.0.1" to a float value of 2014. //
    // Error: FBXReferencedContainersContent is now deprecated. Use FBXExportReferencedAssetsContent. //

I just fixed the error, could you re-download the script and update it ?
    Download : http://www.froyok.fr/maya/froTools325.zip
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome! Works perfectly. Thanks man, these tools are super helpful
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I should have updated the script sooner, but since I was working on my 3.3 update I preferred to delay. Looks like I'm too busy now...

Sorry for the problem in first place. I'm glad it works fine now.
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took me a while to get it started despite the instructions and Sinking's feeback... As I am fairly new to Maya, I hope this can save some time to others like me...

For those who can't make it start:

1) "C:\Users\**USERNAME**\Documents\maya\2014-x64\scripts" should contain the file named "froTools3.mel" and "UserSetup.mel" <--(the latter if you want the script to launch automatically).

2) "C:\Users\**USERNAME**\Documents\maya\2014-x64\scripts\prefs\icons" should contain the folder named "froyok" which contains all the icons files in .png format.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    froTools 3.3.1 is out ! :)
    (It has been way too long since my last update heh...)

Full details over here : http://www.froyok.fr/blog/2018-01-frotools-3-3-maya-2018-compatibility-mesh-analyzer-reworked-export
    Version 3.3 added compatibility for Maya 2017 and 2018.

Changelog :

• Added new hotkey "CTRL+A" and "CTRL+SHIFT+A" to cycle between existing docked widgets/windows
    • Updated FBX export settings to disable Tangent/Binormals by default (UE4 friendly)
    • Updated UV window "Move UVs" step field to allow more precise values
    • Updated UV window with new "Move UVs" quick step buttons
    • Updated UV window with new quick ratio scale buttons
    • Updated UV set exporter to not move meshes anymore
    • Fixed UV set exporter channel name being ignored
    • Fixed some compatibility issues with Maya 2018

• Added support for Maya 2015/2016/2017 (fixed bugs and broken functions)
    • Added Edge Outline/Border selection from selected faces
    • Added a mesh analyzer (polycount, mesh size, and so on)
    • Added a system that store the previous state of the Frames when the script is reloaded
    • Added a checkBox to dock/undock the window (which will remember the setting)
    • Added new pivot tool : select a face and move an object on it (helper for floating geometry)
    • Added new pivot tool : min/max based on world space bounding box
    • Added new pivot tool : copy a pivot point from one object to one another
    • Added the "groups" option for the OBJ exporter
    • Added new Normal tool : copy a vertex normal to other vertices
    • Added new button to toggle the x-ray mode per (selected) object
    • Updated export function to be more robust
    • Updated FBX export compatibility (deprecated commands from Maya 2014/2016)
    • Updated FBX combined export to support Triangulation
    • Updated the "move to ori" button, now also splitted into separate axis (available with other pivot tools)
    • Updated every icons as a "shelf button" to allow drag'n'drop to the shelf (and Maya 2014 modeling toolkit)
    • Updated the selection conversion, now available by double-clicking on a component icon
    • Updated the "toggle normals" visibility (now cycling between face and vertex normals)
    • Updated the "look at me" normal tool, now each vertex normal is individual
    • Updated the Mesh creation buttons to set the vertex normals on "Unweighted" by default
    • Updated the combine and merge tool to set the mesh control on "Unweighted"
    • Updated the combine and combine merge tool to avoid the transform creation (aka delete history)
    • Updated the grid subdivision shortcut for the UV window (now changing the main grid)
    • Updated the default FBX version for the quick exporter to 2013 (was on 2011)
    • Updated the UV window (the screen size is now stored per maya session, making it faster to load)
    • Fixed triangulation function during export (could fail and bring up an error sometimes)
    • Fixed the froTools Window position preferences when using the "floating" mode
    • Fixed the float field in the UV window when setting a custom scale (now accepting multiple decimals)
    • Fixed the Orient face normals tool (error with specific geometry configuration, thx to Passerby)
    • Fixed the abs() function error with the "BestOrtho" tool (function withing a function error).
    • Fixed "Unhide all meshes" function (which was disabled for no reason)
    • Fixed a conflict between the froTools3 and the froXnormal when creating a shelfbutton
    • Fixed the UI size in the "Settings" tab (export path was too big)
    • Fixed the "Vertex size" slider to allow to go back to Maya default vertex size (3 instead of 6)
    • Removed the UV focus when opening the UV window (not working properly)
    • Removed FBX Triangulation setting (because different from Maya Triangulation)
    • Removed support for Maya version older than 2011