• pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YAY!! thanks Froyok
  • ultramedia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultramedia polycounter lvl 11
    Hi Froyok, sorry, at the time it felt like a funny play on words from "one does not simply walk into mordor mr frodo"

heh heh... LOTR humour is there no end to it...
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks a lot! This just made my workflow faster the moment I tried it out. I don't use many plugins, but this one is definitely a keeper. :)
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Another quick update, to respond from some request :
    //froTools 3.0.5 R1
    -Fixed the hide of the menubar in the hypershade/viewports (you have now a button with the HideUI)
    -Added some functions compatible with the G-Key (repeat key) of maya
    (weld/cut UV, fill hole, insert edge loop, merge center, delete edges/vertice)

Download : http://www.froyok.fr/maya/froTools305R1.zip
    shrew81 wrote: »
    F Yes! This tool is incredibly awesome! Especially useful for max users going to maya.
    You know, it's funny, because I hate Max so much. x]
    But your are right, at the end my UI is very similar to the one inside Max. Or even better (I hope :3 ).
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    Man, this is really awesome! Helping me a lot with my current project!:)

One thing I notice is when you try to save a UV snapshot, Maya crashes for me. Maybe it's because you can't choose the file format?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    OniLolz wrote: »
    One thing I notice is when you try to save a UV snapshot, Maya crashes for me. Maybe it's because you can't choose the file format?
    That's very strange, I can't reproduce this problem. Can you describe more precisely (like a step by step) your process ?
    I have tested on an other computer and it's fine too.

I know that my snapshot button is a bit rigid because a force you to use the tga format (but for me it's the common file format for real-time development, and because you get the transparency of the wireframe in the alpha channel).
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Does it support maya 2012? cant make it to work :(
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the UV Window Button does work for me in 3.0.5 R1 on maya2012

but it does in 3.0.5 :/

Edit - Nevermind i found its to do with have the old script and the new one loaded at the same time :P
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Gheromo wrote: »
    Does it support maya 2012? cant make it to work :(
    Normally it's working in Maya 2012, do you get a specific error ?
    I will be able in a few hours to use my script on computers with Maya 2012 so I will do some tests.
    pinkbox wrote: »
    the UV Window Button does work for me in 3.0.5 R1 on maya2012

but it does in 3.0.5 :/

Edit - Nevermind i found its to do with have the old script and the new one loaded at the same time :P
    Yeah, some functions in the 3.x are the same as the 2.x that's why you get some weird errors.
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    Still got the same error message : // Error: Too many children in layout: frameLayout8
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    So, I have launched my script on a computer with Maya 2012, it's working without any big problems. Most of the tools are working.

I have tried the snapshot save and in maya 2011 the filename extension is set to tga (and you can see it in the save window) but in Maya 2012 the extension is not showed. It's a visual problem, because if you save the file anyway it's working.
    joebount wrote: »
    Still got the same error message : // Error: Too many children in layout: frameLayout8

I don't have yet added the full support for Maya 2010, I need more time, sorry. :\
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok wrote: »
    I have tried the snapshot save and in maya 2011 the filename extension is set to tga (and you can see it in the save window) but in Maya 2012 the extension is not showed. It's a visual problem, because if you save the file anyway it's working.

I'm using maya 2012
    Usually I save as png, but I tried changing the settings on tga, saving a snapshot using the common way (with success), and then tried to save another snapshot using the snapshot button.
    The first time, maya just crashed; the second time maya gave me a error message and then crashed:
    "Fatal error. Attempting to save in C:/Users/Oni/AppData/Local/Oni.20120504.ma"
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    I can confirm that maya 2012 version works fine, had a typo in the script editor when i was trying to launch it. :)
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    froTools 3.1 available

frotools_31.jpg

Changelog :
    -Added curve tools
    -Added new UV tools (projection directions)
    -Added new normal tools (Normal cap/fillet)
    -Added new tool : snap vertex to nearest point on grid
    -Removed flip triangle direction (available with ctrl + alt + left or right arrows)
    -Added new shortcut for increasing/decreasing grid subdivisions (alt+x and alt+c)
    -Changed hotkey for target weld (now alt+d)
    -Added "individual" checkbox for FBX export : if you uncheck it, everything selected is exported in one FBX file

Download : http://www.froyok.fr/maya/froTools31.zip
    OniLolz wrote: »
    I'm using maya 2012
    Usually I save as png, but I tried changing the settings on tga, saving a snapshot using the common way (with success), and then tried to save another snapshot using the snapshot button.
    The first time, maya just crashed; the second time maya gave me a error message and then crashed:
    "Fatal error. Attempting to save in C:/Users/Oni/AppData/Local/Oni.20120504.ma"
    Sorry to read that. :poly103:
    I have asked some friends to test again, but they don't get the crash, like me they can save the file without any problems. I don't understand why this happen to you.
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fabrice
    Thanks alot for a wonderful Tool.
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha i cant keep up with ya. nice work once again :)
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to read that. :poly103:
    I have asked some friends to test again, but they don't get the crash, like me they can save the file without any problems. I don't understand why this happen to you.

Probably is a problem with my Maya. I will install this new version and give you a feedback :3
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Does this work on Maya 2008 by any chance? Tried it but getting the "Too many children in layout: frameLayout8" problem.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Not yet, the UI before Maya 2011 is a bit different, I need to update my code.
    Unfortunately I don't have enough free time to do it now.
    I will probably update my code in June/July this year.
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you Froyok for this nice script ;)
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome! I'll give this a try asap :)

/edit : I just gave it a try (maya 2011) and it works like a charm and is pretty useful!

Quick suggestion (which would make it the ultimate tool for me) : Adding a "Custom tool" section between "Tool" and "Normal" that would allow us (users) to easily drag and drop our own Shelf buttons. I love the fact that this window is un-dockable and stays up in full screen. I just wish I could customize it a bit more by adding the rest of the tools/scripts I usually use in maya :)

Great job, man! Thx :)
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Thx guys, I hope this script will be useful ! :)

Here is the version 3.1.2 : Download

Changelog :
    //froTools 3.1.2
    -Added obj UVset export : you can export the desired uvset from a mesh to an obj file
    -Added combined export with desired filename for FBX and OBJ.
    -Added UVs button in the main dock for a quicker access

//froTools 3.1.1
    -Added the "Apply random colors" for the UV shells (with texture export)
    Also, I think I will still don't have the time to do the Maya 2010 version. :(

Quick suggestion (which would make it the ultimate tool for me) : Adding a "Custom tool" section between "Tool" and "Normal" that would allow us (users) to easily drag and drop our own Shelf buttons. I love the fact that this window is un-dockable and stays up in full screen. I just wish I could customize it a bit more by adding the rest of the tools/scripts I usually use in maya :)

I have already thought about that but I put the idea down because it will need knowledge that I don't currently have (even if I think it will be not too hard to achieve) and also a way to save your preferences (because otherwise the script will lost your icons every time you launch the script).
  • Zimlorog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zimlorog polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Froyok! Loving the tool set so far!

Although it seems you removed the Convert Selection options! Or am I not seeing them?

I'm running version 3.1.2 in Maya 2013.

Thank you so much :)
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Yeah sorry, it's removed for the moment (I got some problems with it). I will add an option to enable it in a future update. I need to fix it before.
  • Zimlorog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks!

Also, is there a way for me to setup the window so that when I start the tools, it's a floating window that is appropriately sized to show all the tools? Right now I have it set to floating, but it's a small square. I changed some of the int values, but it just made it wider, not taller.

Thanks again.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    If you want to disable the docking system, simply change in the file :
    int  $floating   = 0;        // 0=docked        1=floating

This is the code by default, set this value to 1 and the windows will float at launch.

For having an automatic size you need to change a specific value. Find the following code :
    string $child1 = `scrollLayout -w ($winw + 26) -h 200 scroll1`;

Change the "-h 200" by "-h xxx" where "xxx" is the size that you want.

I recommend something like 700.

(I guess I will update the code to make it make easier to edit. At least for this.)
  • Zimlorog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet, thanks. I knew there had to be another area to modify the size, I just didn't know where to look.
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok - i really love your tools - thank you so much !
    Id like to see an optionbox feature - maybe if you shift+click one icon,
    that you can reach the optionbox faster !

Greetz
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    What type of options would you like to reach with this method ?
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in the tools section - split polygon tool for example - sometime its nice to
    uncheck autocomplete or fix quads ..
    Maybe you already included this things and i just dont know it yet ;)

// edit: a workarround is, when you open a option box ( tools settings)
    it chances with the icons too - should work for now
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    maybe have double click actions like the shelf can have.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I see !
    Well, I don't think it's possible to have right-click option on an icon. At least I don't know if it's possible in mel script.
    passerby wrote: »
    maybe have double click actions like the shelf can have.
    This one could work. I can change the current icon button with the same as the shelf can have.
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    Hey there :) Did you have any time to look at the 2010 version ?

Cheers !
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Unfortunately not. :(
    For the moment I don't have the time to work on it. I can't garantee I will do this version soon.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    First of all, I like to thank you for such a usefull toolbox.

Im using frotools 3.1.2 on maya 2011. I can't seem to locate "Apply random colors" to uv shells function?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    First of all, I like to thank you for such a usefull toolbox.
    I'm glad you like it ! :)
    Im using frotools 3.1.2 on maya 2011. I can't seem to locate "Apply random colors" to uv shells function?
    The function is located on the top of the setting tab. You can set random colors and then export them as a color map. There is some small bleeding problem for the moment, I'm trying to fix it.

---

I have made a 3.1.4 version some month ago, you can try to update :
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13564647/maya/froTools314.zip
    (The UV shell colors function was moved down in the 3.1.4 version, but still in the setting tab).

I'm also working one the 3.2 version which will bring a lot of fix and some new tools. ;)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    this looks pretty cool! are there some videos to show how the tools work? is that a target weld in your tools? your target weld work like in max? does your edge loop button allow you to select poly loops as well as edge loops...or could we request a poly loop button?
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Ged wrote: »
    this looks pretty cool! are there some videos to show how the tools work? is that a target weld in your tools? your target weld work like in max? does your edge loop button allow you to select poly loops as well as edge loops...or could we request a poly loop button?

In maya you select edge loops by double clicking them, and for poly loops you click on a poly, hold shift, and double click on the poly next to it. You can also select a partial loop this way.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    BARDLER wrote: »
    In maya you select edge loops by double clicking them, and for poly loops you click on a poly, hold shift, and double click on the poly next to it. You can also select a partial loop this way.

ah the shift trick is brilliant! I was always selecting a ring of edges and then converting to faces!
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    just curious whats new in 3.1.4 ?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    just curious whats new in 3.1.4 ?

The changelog :
    //froTools 3.1.4
    -Updated to support last updates of the FBX exporter (FBX 2012/2013)
    -Updated UI on the Settings tab (new colors and organization)
    -Added choice to use the fbx file format version (2009 to 2013)
    -Removed "default" button setting for FBX (broken and not usefull)

//froTools 3.1.3
    -Added "Keep Location" and "Center to grid" option for the OBJ exporter.
    -New colors for the UI, easier location of the tools
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Ged wrote: »
    your target weld work like in max?
    I don't know how the "target weld" works in Max. In my script it works like that :

Select a vertex, call the function -> it will try to find the closest vertex of it, move on it and will weld itself on it.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I don't know how the "target weld" works in Max. In my script it works like that :

Select a vertex, call the function -> it will try to find the closest vertex of it, move on it and will weld itself on it.

in max it basically does what maya does when you hold v with the move tool and the vert snaps to other verts except when it snaps it actually welds both verts immediately so you dont have to collapse them together.
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Sounds like the "merge vertex tool" in maya.

It lets you drag a vertex onto another one and it merges them.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya in the shift + rob marking menus drag up and select merge vertex tool while a vert is selected, and it will give you a interactive tool that works just like the max one. this is a built in tool.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    bb0x wrote: »
    Sounds like the "merge vertex tool" in maya.

It lets you drag a vertex onto another one and it merges them.

ah I did have this on my shelf it just wasnt working because it kept snapping wierdly and selecting verts that werent even on the mesh I wanted. might be my mesh is rather small or something, thanks!
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I have had varying results with that tool as well. (to the point I comlpetely forgot about it untill I came accross this.)

Though after a bit of testing it seems it helps to "isolate select" whatever you are working on.

Isolate select is handy for allot of things anyway so I suggest to use it as much as possible. :P
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I don't like this tool too because its behavior can be very random. And the problem is that it's a tool, which mean you have to switch between it and the other tools.

In my script the target weld can be just a short cut (alt+d) so it's really very fast to use. It's easier because you don't have to move the vertex by yourself on the point you want to weld, the script do it for you. That's mean you don't have to waste your time on moving it precisely/correctly.

I use a lot the target weld when I modeling, combined with my custom extrude (ctrl+d).

I should make a video one day to show how useful some tools can be sometimes. :)
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sooo.. What if you have five verteces. One in the middle and the other four around it at the exact same distance. Will it wonder forever which one to weld to and thus freeze Maya? Or wWill it randomly weld to one of the four verteces? =P

Depending on the verteces I need to weld delete edges, or just vertex snapping a bunch of verteces and when done moving them around I hit "m"(my hotkey) to merge all of them at once.

Anyway I feel like I am going off topic here.
    (I havent even used your tool (le Shame). I am bookmarking this though and will take a look at it later for sure! =])
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Sooo.. What if you have five verteces. One in the middle and the other four around it at the exact same distance. Will it wonder forever which one to weld to and thus freeze Maya? Or wWill it randomly weld to one of the four verteces? =P
    It will chose the first one who comes in the list of the vertices.
    Depending on the verteces I need to weld delete edges, or just vertex snapping a bunch of verteces and when done moving them around I hit "m"(my hotkey) to merge all of them at once.

Anyway I feel like I am going off topic here.
    (I havent even used your tool (le Shame). I am bookmarking this though and will take a look at it later for sure! =])
    Well, it's always cool to discuss about tools if in the end it helps to discover a new workflow ! :)