Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The undertaker - character wip

Hey everyone this is a model I started that I would like to take to completion but i want it to be done correctly take a look and let me know what you think and maybe some tips on how to make this mesh game ready and ready to export into zbrush.

Thanks.

the+undertaker.jpg

Replies

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    what is your final goal on this? As in, if you were making this for a game, what platform/style are you going for? I'm mainly curious since you mention zBrush and your model is not something I would consider optimal for sculpting or a normal map. I see on your blog you have some really nice looking stuff, but the silhouette of this mesh doesn't seem to lend itself for normal mapping.
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im going for tim burton style. I want to detail it as much as possible and still have it be stylized. it doesn't nescessarily need to fit in any game I just need it to be able to be used in a game it's going to be a portfolio piece. polypainting, zbrush, the whole deal?
  • ObbieSkinner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you could probably add more geometry in there
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    you could probably add more geometry in there

Indeed. So far, (and I know it's early on) your poly layout is somewhat poor. The characters hat has a much denser layout then anything else in his body. What bothers me is the appendages "feel" blocky. just by turning the orientation by 45 degrees it would not feel as squared off. Also, as a base mesh the arms might be easier to sculpt in a traditional T-pose.

Also, I would look at http://backwatergospel.blogspot.com/ since the style of this short reminds me of what you are creating.
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, I would look at http://backwatergospel.blogspot.com/ since the style of this short reminds me of what you are creating.

Haha actually that is what inspired me to do this character haha. I will add some more geo and get the t-pose set up. as far as poly flow goes where could it be improved?
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    if you are going to sub d this you will need to add loops to help direct where the geo is going to be. You should have extra loops to help with the silohette. Take the arms for example. They really look nothing like the concept. They are thin and dangly and the elbows fall down towards the hips. Where as yours are just blocky shapes. The geo distribution in your hat is about what the rest of the body should have. Work on your shapes. OR...you can just start from scratch in zbrush with some zspheres or a dynamesh sculpt
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    i suggest checking out this guys work
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think I will restart in zbrush and then i can retopo later. man that guys work is super similar but very inspirational that is the look I want but just a different character