Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Polycount University Challenge #1 - Opposing Genres

Replies

• JamesWarren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWarren polycounter lvl 5
    This is what I have so far. I am going for the magic and new age weaponry category. Basically what I am making is an alien with a lot of mechanical augmentations that can also use magic. He will eventually have robotic arms coming out of his back that can shoot stuff too.

ZGrab02-2.jpg

ZGrab01-5.jpg
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Cool stuff going on in here, is it too late to say I'm in?
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Shiniku wrote: »
    Cool stuff going on in here, is it too late to say I'm in?

Hell naww, the more the merrier :D
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    MrHoby you should investigate more on horse anatomy, besides the general direction it doesn't look much like a horse
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks Bonebrew, I think I'll probably just stick to modelling it, not much experience sculpting or modelling this high. So to get it donw in time I'll stick to what I know.
    If I have time i might try to do some sculpt just to refine tiny details.

Alright, some progress

Frogress.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    BoneBrew: Thanks man, I'll try not to crash and burn here. lol
    Neox: Im guessing that was addressing me :)
    I read you loud and clear I have already pulled a lot of horse reference for this (really hard to find good ref for the front of a horse for some odd reason)and will pull a lot more before I'm through.
    Though a lot of stuff isn't really in place yet because I'm still figuring out what exactly is going to be flesh and what's going to be Aug.
    Was there anything in particular that you felt was really breaking the horse?
    Baddcog: It'll be nice to see some hand painted goodness in this little throwdown.
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    i dont know if ill be able to do this one but id like to do the next one. how often will this happen?
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Can't Speak for Sythen but as part of skype group I can say we'd like to make these a regular Jam.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out what to do with my characters magic arm. I'm planning on having flames coming from his hand so he looks like he has some sort of firey power on his left side and he'll have a massive new age cannon on his other arm.

The paint job is just a rough polypaint job to help me figure things out.

hermansfirearm.png
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    i would very much like to be included into the skype group actually, would love to talk with you guys about stuff.
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    MaVCArt, PM me your skype name and I'll add you :)
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been hard at work. Still a TON of stuff to tweak and fix on the horse itself, head especially. But I have some progress on the Augs.
    horseupdate.png
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Hobo, here are a couple good shots of horses for you.
    Picture013.jpg
    Picture015.jpg
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sythen polycounter lvl 10
    Bonebrew22 wrote: »
    Can't Speak for Sythen but as part of skype group I can say we'd like to make these a regular Jam.

I indeed would love to make these a regular thing. Once every few months =]
    It's a great way to keep the University going. As well as keeping people Challenged to work on new techniques and earn critique =]
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Loving the frog, are you going to sculpt it? Cool mechanical horse, too.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    I'm in, gonna do History and Horror environment and I've chosen Machu Picchu (don't know if I misunderstood history genre).

MachuPicchu.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    Loving the frog, are you going to sculpt it? Cool mechanical horse, too.

Thanks. I doubt I'll sculpt as there are tris around even though I've tried pretty hard to keep it all in quads.
    I might mess around with it some, but I think just finishing the mesh and texturing by deadline is a good enough challenge.
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look what I made =D
    PCUC-Shipwrecked01.jpg

Two Objects:
    Total Poly Count: 332 Polys
    Total Tri Count: 668 Tris

Wall:
    Poly Count: 224 Polys
    Tri Count: 448 Tris

Pillar Segment:
    Poly Count: 108 Polys
    Tri Count: 220 Tris

Texture Size at Present: 2048x2048, Working in a higher resolution to create details, downsizing at the end.

- Sythen.
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I shall include myself in your gallivanting of cerebral catharsis i which i shall emerge the undoubted, busty, luxurious, impalpable, agnostic, penetration, watermelon, super-mario brothers victor...
    I had to grab a dictionary...i was running out of words.
    but seriously,
    i-m-in.jpg

Sorry I only just seen this now:
    You win a cookie xD Best answer evar.

- Sythen.
  • MiragentGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiragentGames polycounter lvl 5
    Sythen wrote: »
    Sorry I only just seen this now:
    You win a cookie xD Best answer evar.

- Sythen.
    haha thought my effort went unnoticed :P
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ivy-low.jpg
    Starting to work on some Ivy. =D
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The pieces are looking pretty good Sythen. Not really sure how the ivy is going to work in that environ... guess I'll have to wait and see ;)

Could use some crits on the holster placement here
    frogHolster.jpg

The gun is pretty large, tried to tuck it in under coat, or to the side over coat... Just don't see how it'll work without tons of clipping.

He's an adventurer, so he needs his tools and a gun. Right now i think this is the best spot. Made his pack wider to compensate visually.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slippy, enemy bogeys on your tail, do a barrel roll!
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sythen- Ivy looks good so far, Lookin forward to see these concepts merge.
    Baddcog- Thanks for the ref! Im putting it to good use. I think you have the best solution possible for the holster, unless you shortened the jacket enough to place it on his hip. Or gave him a vest.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sythen wrote: »
    Ivy-low.jpg
    Starting to work on some Ivy. =D
    sicknesss. I think I see where this is going :P
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really itchin to get to the unwrapping and texturing..

He's got shoes, chaps, a holster, tongue and the backpack is almost done.

frogPack.jpg
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice Cog, that steampunk stuff looks lovingly detailed. I would say the blades on those fans are kinda high poly compared to the duster, to keep a consistent LOD either downres that stuff or upres the Duster.
    and I love that stuff so maybe upress?
    you do have 12.000 polys to play with :P
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im with Bonebrew on the upres idea, that is unless you're saving up geo for something really sweet to blow it on :)

Been working on making this horse look more like a horse:
    screenshot00018s.png
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys, yeah I started pretty low and blocky, saving polys until I have everything in place, almost there at about 9,200 or so. Once i get everything in I think I'll have 2,000 to spread around.

\
    The head is looking good MrHobo, getting some good defined shapes in.
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, just to clarify: Do we have to join the Skype group to take part in the challenge? (Perhaps a silly question, I don't see how you could physically stop me from stealing your prompts and making my own entry without the university's blessing). I'm hesitant to try and figure out what I used to set up a Skype account that year that my sister spent Christmas in Ireland with her future husband...

Tentatively, I'm in. I've been itching for a challenge (that is, a deadline), and Mutant League didn't really inspire me like some of these ideas do.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, if memory serves anyone can join (though we always like to see new names in the chat group)

Been a busy boy today. Horse shins are done now for the bottom half which will end struts...

screenshot00020ef.png
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you explain how you approached the muscles on that?
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Darn, this thing looks kinda of fun, could use something like that to do a bit of 3D, haven't touched it for a while now. Just a bit too late for me, since I wont be back to my computer until the 4th. Will keep a look out for the next one. :)
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo! I suggest looking at Crysis 2 of all things for references. I notice that even though specifically it's a suit he's wearing there's usually plating that would cover the transition from biomechanical to mechanical (top of the legs to the bottom of legs)
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can someone explain to me what's intended by the phrase "New Age" in several of these prompts? Google only leads me to the "New Age Movement", which sounds good, but doesn't seem to have much to do with city-planning or weaponry like it's used in these prompts.

Depending on the intent, #3 "Apocalyptic & New Age City" may line up perfectly with a project I've been itching to start since late summer, and, in fact, just went out and took a bunch of reference photos of. Milwaukee's got a bunch of cool architecture, and an amusing history of competing city planners leading to this orderly, gridded city having a bunch of spots where things just don't line up for no good reason, and it's a shame there's no games Assassin's Creed-ing, Deus Ex-ing, or, as I intend to do, Fallout-ing the city.

I'm thinking I'll take a stab at a post-apocalyptic reimagining of the Bradford Beach House, because it's awesome, but small enough to (hopefully) be manageable. Plus, I won't have to deal with crowds if I wind up needing more reference since there's no one hanging out on the beach in this mild winter...

2952652272_63b699ca26_b.jpg

Now I just have to figure out the nature of the apocalypse that'll befall Milwaukee.
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've hit the nail on the head, Tony. =]

Shipwrecked-04.jpg
    Current work in progress: Floor is done but basically textured, a few more details to add. After looking at how Epic decided to do their reflective floors in Epic Citadel. I was forced to duplicating my entire level and making the floor transparent to get the best quality reflection. =]

I started to give concept art a try! This is my first so please don't be too harsh ^^"
    ConceptArt5.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the horse is progressing, planning on using black gold and blue for the final colors. The mane will be fiber optic cables like this:

screenshot00004e.jpg

As for the horse itself... Im trying to keep a mostly clean look for the augs as well as remove the weakest part of the horse (ankles) but I wanted to ask if the lower legs "look" too weak/small?
    screenshot00003z.jpg
    screenshot00002l.jpg

As it stands now, I feel like it could work but I wont really see it come together till it's posed.
  • Money
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Money polycounter lvl 8
    Now this brings up some old memories. :)
    Too bad I saw the thread too late, I guess it's too late now for larger changes, but in any case you can see how they did the legs of the horse here, you never know what idea you might get.

Saber Rider Opening - YouTube

l.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not really feeling the lower legs. I think you need to keep the joints in place.

Horses have bio-mechanical structure that works, changing how that works completely negates their design. Without those joints it would be really stiff and clumsy.

And the feet just don't look very solid or stable to me.

If you want to fix the flaw of weak ankles then make them big and beefy. You've already replaced them with metal so that's a start.
  • JamesWarren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is what I have so far:

I may add some damage to the armor before retopologizing.

ZGrab02-4.jpg

ZGrab01-7.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking cool James. He's like Oriental Cyborg Freddy Kruger!
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Money- That gives me Bravestar flashback lol
    Thanks fot the link. I do need to rethink my approach.

JamesWarren- Damn, way to disappear and come out of the dark swinging! I really like where this is headin.

Baddcog- As their designed now you're right they just aren't cuttin it. Horses have a design that works but i don't think it's the best design. Pencil thin joints supporting a massive amount of weight always seemed crazy to me.
    So my solution is thus, take a real world example and try to apply it to the horse:
    oscarpistoriusnike.jpg

And if that doesnt work, well then screw unique I'll make some damn mechanical hooves :)
  • JamesWarren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks I'm glad you guys think it looks cool.
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gah! Buildings are harder than I expected. Some very rough block-in going on. After skimming Wikipedia for a bit and looking at some reference of Chernobyl and artists' concepts of Ice Ages, both past and hypothetical future, I've decided that a nuclear winter is probably going to be the apocalypse that'd be most likely to befall the Bradford Beach House. I hadn't realized that it would be caused by the explosions kicking up dust elsewhere, like the impact that killed the dinosaurs, so even if there was a nuclear war going on and hitting, say, higher priority targets, everyone could still be screwed one way or another. Thus, there won't be much damage, just a city largely abandoned by those who live here despite an inability to handle a non-nuclear winter... or starving due to the decades-long winter thoroughly ruining the world's agriculture...

6638596863_4b94dd5e51_b.jpg

I'm thinking there might be someone living here, someone who didn't really fit into any of the nearby neighborhoods' "gangs" (extreme upper class mansion dwellers, downtown hipsters from the nearby trendy neighborhoods, the bad part of town relatively close etc.). It can probably house a small group of like-minded outcasts, perhaps a family. The upper level provides a good view of the surrounding area, so you'd be able to spot a threat a long way off. In wintry, icy conditions, those extra picnic tables could probably be pretty handy at blocking off the stairs and bridge and/or providing cover that the fences won't. The park across the bridge would provide handy building materials and firewood for further makeshift defenses.

6638597181_781bb458c2_b.jpg

If anyone's got any tips for me on getting started on my first attempt at an exterior environment, I'd really appreciate it. I know I need to tweak the scale and position of some of the pieces (the stairs on the side facing the lake were left out because they didn't fit).

Edit: Planning to get back to work after a short nap (my first day attempting an Everyman Sleep Schedule...)
  • JamesWarren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's cool that you are coming up with ideas for your environment to give it a sense of story or history. I'd give some advice but I don't have much experience with environments honestly.

I've been interested in coming up with a sleep schedule to maximize the amount of waking hours each day for a while but I haven't actually tried. I remember I talked to a doctor once and he said that the human body only really needs 4 hours of sleep each day. There have been other studies that show that sleep cycles will become more compressed if the sleep duration is shortened. I'm getting off track now, but good luck with that dude. Although I must say that taking a nap every 4 hours may be hard to pull off with a full time job. The doctor I mentioned earlier would just simply sleep 4 hours per night instead of 8.
  • DannyT404
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DannyT404 polycounter lvl 7
    A little late perhaps but I'm in, thinking punk/metal turtle.....
  • JamesWarren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After making some minor adjustments I'm going to call the hi-poly done and move onto retopologizing.

ZGrab01-9.jpg

ZGrab02-5.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welp, I trashed the stilts idea and went with something definitely more hoofey,
    Im gonna do some cleanup and teaks to the sculpt then im calling the high done.
    11 days left...
    horselegsdone.jpg