Home General Discussion

Slow viewports In Maya with new nvidia card !

Replies

• BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11
    as pointed out by someone else I started a thread today related to the 600 series (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103852) Re: anyone running GTX 670`s?

It seems like Nvidia together with Autodesk are going to end up with people leaving the Geforce range! I would move away straight away if I knew an alternative which could run everything ok. I am not sure of specifics but there have always been some 'issues' with AMD cards and certain apps.. :/ fk sake, why does it have to be such a pain.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    BigErn wrote: »
    It seems like Nvidia together with Autodesk are going to end up with people leaving the Geforce range! I would move away straight away if I knew an alternative which could run everything ok. I am not sure of specifics but there have always been some 'issues' with AMD cards and certain apps.. :/ fk sake, why does it have to be such a pain.

Nvidia will (rightfully) tell you that you are running a consumer card that is not "officially" certified for Maya or whatever other Autodesk product.

I do think it is shitty that the quadro cards run the same hardware as consumer cards, but cost exponentially more. Nvidia has to spend money to certify their workstation cards for various products, and have to do so by driver version.

The purpose of consumer cards on the other hand is to run games properly, so you can't be too pissed that you have a bit of sluggish performance in the Maya viewport.

You can hop over to AMD/ATI, but things are even more fucked up with them. This sort of exodus you talk about with people moving away from Geforce cards... In the scheme of things the amount of people that do game development is very small so Nvidia is not going to care too much if that very few don't buy Geforce cards since they want them to buy quadros in the 1st place.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Many, Game Dev's can't catch a break, can they?

Verbal fecal gamers from one end, disorganized pipelines from another, and now this.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Wasnt there a way years ago to get Quadro drivers to work on standard Geforce cards?
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    Wasnt there a way years ago to get Quadro drivers to work on standard Geforce cards?

I tried hacked Quadro drivers on my gtx580 because of this issue.

It made no difference for me. Infact (from memory) it may of disabled some of the geforce functions so its not worth doing.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    PolyHertz wrote: »

Nope, if IIRC nVidia pretty much disabled such...options in the internal drivers, so even if you did hack the drivers, they wouldn't work or give an iota of difference.

Kinda a dick move honestly, I mean what about people who use laptops for work because they freelance or move around alot? Not to mention, the wild variety of performance for the Viewport 2.0, and not everyone uses Maya, so other software such as Max from Autodesk (which I can confirm, they gimped internally because I friend of mine has the game generation laptop as me, but a different Card is getting much better performance then my nVidia card, but a card of different generation doesn't work properly with the newer versions of said software) is already a hassle.

So I guess the question remains, what will happen next?
  • Vlad 28
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vlad 28 polycounter lvl 6
    Hi guy s.. I found this thread looking for users that work with radeons 79xx or 69xx .. and it was extremely difficult .. .. in many forums like for e :tomshardware ..there where a lot of good comments toward amd because they didnt crippled their cards.. ,, and it was very interesting to see geexile positive comments about his 69xx card.. I even tried to look for info : how new amd 79xx are working in 3ds max and maya against gtx card like580 or keplers 6xx but with NO luck ..

Im trying to decide which way to go AMD 79xx or gtx .. a lot of ppl still recommend me go for Nvidia go for nVidia! .. but at the same time nVidia crippled software.. ..

I work as a freelance 2d artist..using a lot of photoshop, I have experience in zbrush and now Im learning 3ds max .. and then learn Maya too .

my new pc is i7 3770k, mobo gigabyte udh3 , 1ssd 120gb ,1HDD WD 1 TB, PSU_ Antec 750w 80+ ,monitor is one of those korean yamakasi monitors 27" S-IPS led 2560x1440..

and choosing a new gpu is the only thing is left.. 7970 is very appealing
    but ppl say. be aware of bad drivers!..

Im not into rigging just modeling and rendering. my idea is to work well in maya and 3ds max.
    anyone can advice.. which way to go? 7970? , or 680?whit the benefit of cuda?

I can live without iray.. but is cuda so important? moreover.. anyone knows how amd hd 7970 are behaving whit 3dsmax.. maya? more friendly with maya?

regards!
    its a very interesting thread!
  • ldestefano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some problem with Quadro 2000/4000/5000, with HPz820 and DellT3600. Anyone knows the solution? Thanks!!!