Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

CE3 - Entombed Gold

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
beancube polycounter lvl 17
Hey guys, time to delve in Cryengine 3 even further. So im taking it outdoors!

Based on Egyptian/ slightly Mayan architecture. This is the Temple Entrance, with a puzzle mechanism to open up the main door. The Doorway leads through to a Booby Trapped/Puzzle walkway and then onto the Tomb! of course containing gooOOLD...

Heres my whitebox at the moment. With a sample test terrain paint.

wb_entombed_gold_01.jpg

Will be working on the Walkway/Tomb Whitebox for the next update.
Stay Tuned, and of course crtis/ideas/comments welcome!

Cheers, Bean.

Replies

• Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    good block out so far. this will be a nice environment. i like your portfolio btw.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Shamless bump. I like deserts, egyptian and so on ;p.
    You can think about adding some big cliff in which temple will dive, just like in Valley of The Kings in Egypt.

And me personal thoughts. You cloud make it less destroyed with sacrificial altar in middle, and lot's of fireplaces :D
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mgoblue412 polycounter lvl 5
    I like this, desert environments are always nice and I like the "hot" kind of light that you get in a desert. I would like to see a scorpion or snake or something going across the ground
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the ideas, i will review and revisit the whole scene once i have whiteboxed everything. :)

I spent today sketching up ideas and working out a small gameplay event for the Inner Tomb - which the leads into the main Tomb Chamber containing the goooold.

wb_eg_chainblocks_01.jpg

Gameplay Event:

3 x Chainblocks hanging from the ceiling. High pressure water spouts either side - which will be triggered once the player stands on the leaping platform. Causing the Chainblocks to sway. Becoming a small platformer puzzle to reach the main Tomb Chamber.

Lighting Idea Concept - 3 Key Lightsources. (very basic atm)
    Trying to think of the limited equipment at the disposal of a tomb raider.

2 x Red Flares.
    1x Portable lighting prop/ with small battery. Something that could be carried off the shoulder or strapped to a backpack... while not affecting their adventuring :P

I will be adding some shallow water to the bottom also, which will reflect more light updwards - popping out alot more of the forms. Of course with a visible caustic effect.

Currently writing up a document for the gameplay event to explain it all alot better :)
    Cheers guys, leave your ideas/comments !
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wb_entombed_gold_v1_01.jpg

Aright guys, been messing with VisArea/Portals in CE3 to get lighting and meshes flowing between Outdoors to Indoors. Tweaked the lighting to give the best example of what im aiming for.

Added the Tomb Chamber with Sarcophagus. *If the Sarcophagus is lifted from the pedestal, the ceiling will begin to drop and crush the unlucky raider* The Sarcophagus will also lower itself, so it doesnt get destroyed lol.

Im still tossing up the critique from 'iniside' regarding adding more moutainous elements surrounding the tomb entrance.

Heres a quick side shot of the Tomb Layout to give a better idea whats going on :)

wb_layout_v1.jpg

Time to get started on my 1st Asset- Which will be the main Pillars!
  • johnnybrach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it feels a bit empty right now, but since you just started I think it's heading the right way. More images! :)
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    I like the exterior and first room overall. But the lighting shown inside the gameplay area and tomb looks sci-fi ish. Maybe have a go at placing less lights sources in there and only real light sources, such as torches.
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    I like where this is going....
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Nice work on the blockout, though personally I'd try to push the exterior scene a little more. If you have time I suggest you watch The Mummy (1999) & The Mummy Returns, both have lots of great exterior shots of crumbling Egyptian temples. I wasn't able to find many good pictures, but here are some:

http://images3.static-bluray.com/reviews/463_4_large.jpg
    http://images.static-bluray.com/reviews/462_7_large.jpg
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Are you making that blockout with the solids tool in cryenginge (Similar to UDK's BSP) or in max?
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    I like where this is going already. More updates!
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ ParoXum: i really wanted to stay away from the cliche wooden torches feel hehe.
    As i mentioned in my above posts the scene is lit from 2 red flares and a portable light stand. Maybe ill soften the falloff on the lights.

@myles: Yep i agree! i dont think i will go as far as building a small town/ruins, but definately foliage and rock formations for sure. Thanks for the ref images.

@Computron: All built in Max :)

eg_hi_pillar_01.jpg

Heres the highpoly of the main pillar - pretty much the MAX level of density i can push on my lil laptop.
    So Photoshop will have to do the rest for me :)

I will be adding Hieroglyphs to the stone blocks and on the bottom of the pillar. Currently working on a photoshop normal map set. so i can just copy/paste and move around the designs on the fly. Instead of subdviding more in zbrush and making a million alpha brushes.

Will make the lowpoly/textures and post that update to get some crits on the style overal :)
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eg_pillar_a_ce3_01.jpg

eg_pillar_a_txt_01.jpg

eg_pillar_a_wire_01.jpg

Woaah, finally got this bad boy modelled, uv'd baked and textured! This really pushed my pc to the limits, so this is the max quality that will come out of me for the rest of this project...haha.

Currently sitting @ 1100tris - 2048 textures. Hi res since its 6meters tall!

Need to bake out the broken-in-half version, which will just be a normal map change and use a 2nd ID for the internal stone.

Crits please! Do you think the spec highlights on the edge of the stone is too much?
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    nice asset so far! couldn't you delete the underside of the base? or is it typically best to have closed meshes? it would save you some texture space as well
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Nice bake and nice texturing so far :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    LOveiT! love the way the Egyptian cravings came out. Was that done in PS?
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slow progress on this! Been on hiatus.

Created some basic stone blocks for the floor. Majority of my spare time spent playing with the sand blends in CE3. Trying to figure the best way to blend sand spots with the stone. Not as easy as with UDK materials.
    Any Crytekers could shed some light on such a task?... thanks :)

My technique atm is: Simple Sand "Blob" meshes- with decal stamps to blend out the edges with a good noise alpha.

Quick paintover for the small desert rocks/foliage. Will be working on fleshing out this area to take a break from brickwork :)

@ Alberto: Thanks! yep i found some Hieroglyphs vector images and pulled a clean Photoshop normal map outta them!

eg_paintover_01.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I don't know, it should feel more epic I think. I mean look at the Egyptians created in that desert, everything is frickin huge.

giant-egyptian-gods.jpg
    stock-photo-line-of-giant-osiris-statues-at-the-ramesseum-the-ancient-egyptian-mortuary-temple-of-ramses-ii-at-71048347.jpg
    IMG_4039.JPG

Yours feels tiny in comparison. Great baking and texture-work though! :)
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep i hear ya! Here is the scene with a human reference, 1.8m male. Maybe this helps?

eg_scale.jpg

Im thinking i should introduce some human sized elements to break that scale barrier.
    The fat pillars and big stone blocks are not reading well without something to bring out the grander scale.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    the pillars diameter to height ratio makes them look really stubby, leading to the smallish look. with the human refrences the scale is a lot more apparent but still looks sort of small.. cartoony small.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Not bad, but you really need to add more variety into your textures, there's literally only one color, with different luminance changes and that's it.
  • |MM|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Ryan!

I really love your work, you've been a big inspiration to me with "Corridor One"
    scene.

As for this one due to the proportions of the pillars it all seems squashed down to me.

For blending the floor you can vertex paint the outer parts and use dirtmap with sand, or make some blocks into decals with normalmap and use alpha for blending.
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    I agree with HP. The textures all kind of blend together. There is a great tutorial on Eat3D done by Simon Fuchs. It's Using Decals in Cryengine 3. Really a great tut on how to make textures more interesting without a lot of work.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    I personally like the textures. Single color, plays pretty well with desert, although, you should add more variety. More damages, and maybe stronger AO. you should look at 3d motive for tileable texture creation. There are some very cool techniques, that can apply to literally everything, with very small effort.

Thus I aggree on scale. It's still way to small. The column proportions are totally off. You should make them taller, and add more variety. And to still have acceptable texel density, you probably will need to make them with tileable textures. When you enter here (Ctrl+G), you should feel overwhelmed by all structures. They should appeal very massive and big to your perspective.
    That's how you feel when you stay near Egyptian ruins.

To not leave without anything useful, you should make columns at least 2x taller than they are now. Maybe even 3. and make entire columns, not just capitols ;p.