Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIPs (feedback and critiques welcome and needed)

Hi there! I'm working on two things at the moment. A character and a scene.

The scene was inspired from a concept from Tyson Murphy, Blizzard guru. I need to make improvements and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

envirofinaldecent.jpg

wk10update.jpg

Just to be clear, I wasn't going for a Blizzard style or anything. Just doin' the best I can for now. I've since fixed the black spot on the torii thing. And I thought the stone at the top was too bland, so I tried to fix it up.

Things I was thinking of doing for sure:

-Adding more rocks.
-Adding a mossy alpha where needed.
-Adding the little shrine thingy next to the gate.
-Fixing up the leaves on the main tree (although I'm not quite sure what to do with them..)

Things I could use some help with:

-UDK lighting tips (i.e. how to get the lights to have the desired effect on the scene)

The second project is a doodle that I want to take to a full in-engine model. Possibly use it as a rigging exercise over the holidays.

32761122981804945591250.jpg

It 's a bandaged torso attached to a monster with one huge eye (in my head).

Sorry I don't have more angles, but I was wondering what's the best way to get a nice high-poly sculpt out of this.

Thanks for your time, looking forward to the feedback!
~Meg

Replies

• KagoMegan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another shot of the monster in progress. Still feeling out whether I want to make him bulky or thin. Right now he's half-and-half. And trying to decide what to do with the feet.

creeperfront.jpg
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Your first concept could have stronger more intense light. I can barely tell you have any kind of lighting at all. It looks like all the forms have been copied and pasted. This is apparent by the edges. I would try and add more of a variety of different values. E.g. the grass is the same value everywhere there is grass. Same with the dirt. I would turn down the fog too. And if you're going to have fog you shouldn't be able to see the horizon line. The horizon line should disappear gradually in the fog.

I know you are trying to work from the original concept. But I would also work with other references too.

With your Zbrush model are you sculpting in just the highest subdivision level?

With organic objects I would jump around different subdivision levels. If you are sculpting form I would turn down the intensity, as to gradually build up form. It makes the overall form look much more natural.

The way I do it is gradually build up form in the lower subdivision levels and if there is smoothing that needs to take place, I would go up a subdivision level or two to smooth it. With my workflow I am constantly moving up and down subdivision levels.

The default hot keys for switching between subdivision levels are:

'D' moves the subdivision level up
    'Shift D' moves the subdivision level down

Hope this helps! Good luck!