Home Unreal Engine

Maya to FBX - Annoying random hard edges, yo.

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Joopson quad damage
Hey there,
I've been exporting meshes from Maya to UDK for a while, and I've noticed weird hard edges relatively often. I've chalked it up to some sort of issue with my normal maps or something- but, I just imported a bumpy plane from Maya to UDK using FBX, and making sure to check "Export Smoothing Groups" and "Import Tangents", but regardless of any options I have tried, I still get the same polygons being hard edged. I've smoothed my normals about a thousand times, but NOTHING. It is unbearable- I assume all my meshes are corrupted by this nonsense. I remember "Use Explicit Normals", which worked, but it has since been removed. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I'm assuming it is me, and not a technical issue with the programs, but who knows.
Thanks for le help.

EDIT: If I harden all of the edges, it shows up in UDK with all hardened edges. So.... I'm not sure what to do.
Edit Again: So, also, if I uncheck "Triangulate" in the export settings, this doesn't happen. So that fixes my problem. Still, doesn't really make sense why it would create hard edged upon triangulation.

Replies