Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vending Machine [WIP]

I really want to perfect my game art. I know I need a little help here and there with modeling but its my texturing that really needs work. I am going to be looking at racer445 tutorial again for the third time. If anybody knows of another good texturing tutorial please let me know. Model is completed and is at 425 tris. not sure if that's a good number for this type of asset. Please let me know any crits you have with what I have done so far. Thanks.

vpeqzn.jpg
104s4f7.jpg

Replies

• jetskee96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update... I am hoping to finish this tonight.

mtlboi.jpg
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    awesome, i am a huge fan of vending machines.
    gotta dirty it up, really scratched and abused!
    kind of inspired me a bit, i might give one a pop at some point.
  • jetskee96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel pretty good about it but I really need crits. Let me know what you all think about my texture job. The second image is just a render with an emissive map.
    qrjcjc.jpg
    ibjdwj.jpg
    iv8rol.jpg
  • Roelant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have a good start for your texture in my opinion. The texture looks a bit flat. Try to add a specular map and play with the specular intensity to add some extra effect of the different materials that are in the vending machine. Also you could use a ambient occlusion map from a ground plane that you put under your model to add some darker area' s when you come near the ground with your texture. Hope this will help you, good luck.
  • burtonyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The triangle count on your model can be optimized more welding vertices that don't change the silhouette. The work of a normals map can definitely take care of the inward bevel on the front side of the machine. It also looks like you're going for this kind of Coca Cola machine.

2661801716_f9bc7a315a.jpg

As you can see it has those little details at the edges and has more appealing graphic designs on the side and the only way to have your model really go another step higher is to have a good specular map; it is the most important map if I had to choose one. There are some other stuff like proportions and parts that look different than yours (speaking from the image). And what does the back look like? I know you're going to place it against a wall, but what if it happened to be knocked over? You could use this model for more possibilities in a game rather than just having it only be able against the wall and have more beauty shots of the model rather than two shots from the left and right side. Furthermore, if you looked at racer's tutorial, you should go back and read his theories again; he explains material definition which is critical and I can see that it's where you're definitely struggling at because your materials look the same. Posting your texture maps could allow others to give you better critiques too.
  • Danglebob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    What Roelant said ^
    The model is good and the texture is a great start. I think you could push the detail on the big logo part. You have to remember why vending machines have those big logos, to catch your attention and to make you thirsty!
    2511370673_18505c3431.jpg
    In this pic, illustrated ice, swooping shapes, and a few colors other red are used. try adding some flair to your advertising :D hope this helps!

EDIT: burtonyang beat me to it!
  • jetskee96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the advice... I really need to step up my game and it seams I need to learn to make good spec maps. This project is to be continued.