Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[MUTANT] Table Tennis, Swizzle

Replies

• Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    i like the green too, but also i liked the colors you had in your concept.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks, guys. I decided to go with green and purple. I did a bunch of experiments last night with extremely different color schemes and this one seemed the best of all of them. I tried going with flesh and I tried out the colors from the concept, but they just don't work as well.

Still lots to do. The textures still need a lot of polish and there are still some pretty gnarly seams that I need to fix. Luckily the seams are easy fixes because of how I unwrapped this guy. I've still hardly touched the hands and the shoes still need some shading love, along with a bunch of other things that need shading.

lKV4i.jpg
    lSeiR.jpg
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    awesome painting work, but is the blue rim light seemingly emanating from his crotch going to make sense eventually?
    still a bit confused on that.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -insert obligatory "Blue Balls" joke here-
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Instead of blue in the mouth area maybe try a black and fake some depth with that. It might read well.
  • DockRock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DockRock polycounter lvl 8
    That under-lighting is looking sweet! And the details in the musculature is looking pretty rockin' too. I like where this guy is headed!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonebrew22, ScudzAlmighty:
    Haha, touch
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    hahah GREAT texture and awesome colours.
    Not sure about the purple in the hands and legs, It is probably just me but perhaps it just needs to be pulled down a little bit. Ace work.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    man texture's lookin great swizzle!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    This is sex.

The only crit I would have is maybe make the stripes in the socks a little more contrasty? the pink is just so intense that the smaller details disappear.

great job keeping the details up at the low poly. im jelly!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Looking great Swizzle! You gotta do up a little pedestal for him.
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Sweet colours!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    That last update was a huge improvement on your textures. Very cool progress! :).
  • ranek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ranek polycounter lvl 8
  • Danglebob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    Love the colors!
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    mmm sexy texturework , maybe the upperleg could use a little more shadow since the shorts would be casting some shadow. The handpalm could also use a little suggestion of mass instead of the strong ambient only , just a small value shift would probably work.
    i do think you could have scaled up some stuff in your uv since there is still so many black open space in there.

anyway good job so far, can't wait to see the endresult
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    What really bothers me are the 2 little arms. They have this copy/paste look to them that I just can't take my eyes off. As it is now, I'd prefer to have 1 big 1 small arms instead of this version. The actual mutation basically comes down to a bigger and 2 smaller arms that totally look a like. Maybe it'S just the standard pose that gives me that impression. With a funky twist or rotation it might sell very well :)

Texture looks supergreat, though :)
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle that is badass man. The pink socks are maybe a bit too saturated? How would he look with white socks?
    Fantastic muscles there though.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies, Massbot, Japhir, ranek, Screwonhed:
    Thanks!

duncan:
    I definitely need to do some more work on those areas to make the color work better. Right now it's very dull and the hands need a lot more detail and just lovin' in general. I'm thinking of bringing the color closer to a magenta sort of hue.

ChrisPerr:
    Done! The socks should read a little better now.

jeffro:
    I've been thinking about what kind of pedestal I might want to do, but I haven't settled on anything definitive quite yet. I do have some ideas brewing, though.

Ravenslayer:
    I'll definitely add more shadow to the upper leg. I've hardly touched the hands, so that's on the to-do list. As for blank spaces in the UVs, I'm not sure there's actually much I can do. The edges of the UV islands need some padding to work well with anistropic filtering and mipmaps. I may be able to scale a couple of things up, but I'm not sure how well it'll work.

Acumen:
    I know what you mean about the copy/paste feel of the arms, but it really can't be avoided at this point. All the arms and hands share the same UV space and that was done specifically so I could get better at UV mapping. This entire thing has been more of a technical exercise than an actual artistic one, honestly.

Snipergen:
    The white socks simply weren't working very well; they were popping out way too much with the current color scheme, so I elected to change them to the pink of the jersey. I did desaturate them and add a bit of a gradient, though, so I think that helps tone them down.

I've done various little tweaks and bits of cleanup everywhere, but the past few hours have been focused on his clothes. In the previous updates, I just had solid base colors and a grayscale overlay with wrinkles painted on it to give a sense of depth. That was just a placeholder, so now I'm actually painting the cloth on a single layer instead of just using adjustment layers and hacks to get the details.

One problem I'm facing now is that there isn't much value difference between the skin and the outfit, so I need to make the clothes a bit darker to pop out. That shouldn't be a huge problem; it just boils down to levels adjustment and such.

E9CyX.jpg

vrFz0.jpg
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one of my favorites :thumbup:
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    for whatever reason, I see this guy as john mcenroe smashing his ping pong paddles on the ground. haha
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    Ok first off, this guy is pretty awesome, which is why I've got to mention this thing that's bugging me terribly.

Please reverse his color intensity. He's a ping pong player right? His most important aspects are his hands and paddles, they are literally his character. So look at where you've placed the most intense color. It's in his abdomen, your eyes gravitate away from his face and hands to either his stomach or his feet. His feet, by the way, would likely be hidden (in a game) under the edge of a ping pong table right?

So you could fix this by reversing the pinks and purples. Move the intense pink to the upper torso and the darker purple to the stomach. Make the socks and shoes an even darker purple to drop them back, while drawing the green flesh down over the knuckles on the hands far more strongly than you have currently. Basically think about the color direction of TF2, and how strong that is.

So yeah great model, super fun idea, and good luck!
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, I think the bright pink it too intense. It being a compliment to the green, it seems to really float and diminish the the forms in in the rest of your texture, which are really awesome in the arms, legs and face. Then again, it really snags you attention, which is why Im staring at it in the first place, so..Im not really sure what you should do, but it sure looks nice
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Really like the spec work you have going in there. I do concur about the bright pink. It's a little too intense.

Love the cool tones you use for shadows.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    this guy looks awesome! I really like the color scheme, but I think the pink on the socks and shirt are a little too bright, my eyes go straight there
  • 8-Bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome work Swizzle!! Love the hand painted textures and color pallet.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215, 8-Bit:
    Thankya!

EtotheRic:
    This may very well happen.

Stinkhorse:
    I see what you mean about the use of color, and TF2 is a good example of how to do it right. The problem is that from the beginning I've been intent on giving him a very colorful outfit with unashamedly tasteless colors, so it's going to naturally be difficult to draw the eye away from that. I'm hesitant to do big changes to the color scheme at this point aside from actual changes to hue simply because of the work it would involve.

That said, I have given him brightly colored gloves to go with the rest of his outfit and I think they accomplish what you're talking about, at least to a degree. There may be a more elegant solution, but I'm hard-pressed to find it at the moment.

ENODMI, JacqueChoi:
    The pink is definitely an issue. I've kept the pink because it's such a jarring contrast with the green and it just tickles me the right way, but I'm experimenting with other options.

daphz:
    I've done some levels adjustments and such to darken things a bit, so hopefully that doesn't happen anymore.

Been a while since I was able to work on this guy, so it's good to be able to get back to it. I've done various tweaks everywhere, most notably making his clothes darker and adding some gloves.

I like the clothes a little better now that there's some more contrast in them. It feels like they pop out from his skin a bit better.

I think the gloves work well to bring some attention back to his hands. I was having a difficult time figuring out what I could do to the hands to make them look interesting, so this is the solution I've settled on for the moment. They're not final, but they'll do for now.

model_010.jpg

Here's a little Marmoset poop for you.
    model_011.jpg

texture_004.jpg

And a color variant. I kind of like this color scheme, so I may keep it going forward. It's easy enough to switch to it anyway; all I need to do is turn on a single adjustment layer and I'm done.
    model_012.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    i love this. looks great.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The gloves are a perfect solution. Also if you continue with the pink, consider giving him a pair of these in the same color to attract attention to his face.

Sunglasses-Kanye-West-004.jpg
  • seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    Slick texture man... I think the pink felt better but the light blue works as well. Maybe try an orange as a contrast to the green. Nice work though

One thing I noticed is the trim around his larger arm is not the same width that it is around his smaller arms... it's just nit picky but you might want to increase the size of it by a few pixels. It's also a slightly different shade of yellow.

Ace work :)
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I like the pink more still, though it would be awesome to see more color variations too :D
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    cool actionpose :o
    really nice execution and great char overall
  • papagersi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    papagersi polycounter lvl 16
    nice finishing ,,and the pose :D
  • Bishop313
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bishop313 polycounter lvl 9
    swizzle swizzle popizzle what a char! <3 it!
  • MDSchee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDSchee polycounter lvl 8
    the pose, the dof thing you have going on looks amazing. gave it a really polish feel to it
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good man.

Glad to see this finished. :)
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the kind words, everybody.

I've spent the last couple of hours doing some minor tweaks and polishing up what I could in the time I have. I've been super crazy busy lately, and for a few days I was even on the other side of the country, so I haven't had a lot of time to work on this. Chances are good that I'm not going to get a lot of chances to do much more to this guy between now and the deadline, so I'm going to call him finished.

Here are my final images:

beautyshot_001.jpg

beautyshot_002.jpg

construction_001.jpg

color.png

compimage.png

Good luck to everybody else! This comp has produced some amazing stuff!
  • TonyClifton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well played, Swizzle! Congratz!
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Das ist wunderbar!

great movement in the pose too.
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very good job swizzle,
    This comp has produced some amazing stuff!
    agreed.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Great job on this Swizzle.

One year while at school my house had a ping-pong table.. needless to say, I played a lot of ping-pong that year :P

Again, awesome work!
  • seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    Really slick... love that last image:)
  • metaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I love your unwrap ! :D
    Impressive texture work too.
  • ranek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ranek polycounter lvl 8
    THis is nasty gooooood. the colors a bit spot on.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the final piece and I wouldn't change a thing, but at the beginning you said you wanted to try some stuff with the uv's, and all I'm really seeing is a lot of wasted space. What's up with that?
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The colors came out solid in the end. A great entry man!
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Swizzle never fails to impress.
  • oxygencube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    Freaking Fantastic!
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    Voted for yours. :) Great work!
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    This is just beautiful. I think you really nailed the style here with the bright 80s-90s neon colors.. Looks amazing! Gotta save it for my inspiration folder!